Fried Turkey (1 Viewer)

What other injection stuff does everyone use? I am starting to get a little tired of the butter burning so badly. Has anyone ever heated (hot enough not to burn) up the marinade and injected after the turkey was fried?

What other injection stuff does everyone use? I am starting to get a little tired of the butter burning so badly. Has anyone ever heated (hot enough not to burn) up the marinade and injected after the turkey was fried?

what do you mean the butter is burning??? i don't think i have ever had this problem

dang brah, i want to fry a turkey now

what do you mean the butter is burning??? i don't think i have ever had this problem

dang brah, i want to fry a turkey now

Exactly. The stores here have them pretty inexpensively right now. I might thaw one for the weekend.

The butter in the injection sauce is leaking and burning when frying. It nearly blackens the skin of the turkey.

I started making my own injectable marinade (water, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, mustard, etc.) If I buy, I use the Cajun Injector Creole Garlic. Good stuff. Skin stays brown, no burning.

You are probably right. I'll start going at 350 or 300 degrees.

Having worked for too many years in a kitchen, I advise going down to 300 degrees. More oil will go into the turkey instead of a nice fry. 350 is by far the best temp to fry at.

I would think the crumbs would burn also. Dunno for sure though I have limited experience. If you wanted to do that may be better to quarter the bird and do smaller pieces.

You guys are jerks for even bumping this thread right now. :jpshakehead:

Come on a nice deep fried turkey. Never a bad time for that. Or are you hungry at work?

Actually I'm off today, we're getting a new roof. Thankfully I had some fresh boiled shrimps for lunch :9:

But still.. a fried turkey sounds really good.

For what it's worth, I don't inject. Simply a dry rub mixture that the Turkey marinades in with its own juices over night. The person who taught me how to fry turkeys created a simple mixture using salt, red pepper, white pepper, powdered garlic and powdered onion. Works great. I have tried several differnet injections and have not found one that really enhances the Turkey any more than the dry rub by it self. (Although some of the injections listed above, I will have to try)

Safety Tip: I have read several articles from top chefs to local newspapers regarding the safety of frying turkeys. The large majority of problems frying turkeys occur when putting the Turkey in the oil and the oil overflows, hits the fire and catches the entire pot on fire. I have yet to see one with this suggestion:

TURN OFF THE FIRE WHEN PUTTING THE TURKEY IN!!!!

It is not a gurantee, but it is not very likely the oil is going to catch fire without an open flame. Any oil witch spills over will evaporate from the hot pot within about five minues and simply relight the burner then.

For what it's worth, I don't inject. Simply a dry rub mixture that the Turkey marinades in with its own juices over night. The person who taught me how to fry turkeys created a simple mixture using salt, red pepper, white pepper, powdered garlic and powdered onion. Works great. I have tried several differnet injections and have not found one that really enhances the Turkey any more than the dry rub by it self. (Although some of the injections listed above, I will have to try)

either you didn't inject it right or you are using the wrong marinade :shrug:

Safety Tip: I have read several articles from top chefs to local newspapers regarding the safety of frying turkeys. The large majority of problems frying turkeys occur when putting the Turkey in the oil and the oil overflows, hits the fire and catches the entire pot on fire. I have yet to see one with this suggestion:

TURN OFF THE FIRE WHEN PUTTING THE TURKEY IN!!!!

It is not a gurantee, but it is not very likely the oil is going to catch fire without an open flame. Any oil witch spills over will evaporate from the hot pot within about five minues and simply relight the burner then.

I could be mistaken but I believe that peanut oil ignites at 500F regardless of flame. I'd wager that the burner is at least 500F. If the oil runs onto the burner it will ignite anyway. Your way is safer than with the flame on but not 100% safe.

Anyone fried a Turducken before?

Seems like best of both worlds to me. :idunno:

I picked on up at Don's last year (just west of Lafayette on IH10) and fried it...it was awesome. No injection on that but I made darn sure to check the internal temp because it seemed to take more time / pound to get up to eatin' speed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom