Fried Turkey (1 Viewer)

RiverCitySaint

Nerf herder
Reaction score
Many know I fry turkeys this time of year and I will do more this season. I have a question though. I want to try something different this time around and wonder if anyone has ever fried one with a light cornmeal breading.

That actually sounds pretty tasty ! Nothing heavy, just a light coat. What do y'all think ? I am having to start thinking about what all we are going to cook up this year.

Many know I fry turkeys this time of year and I will do more this season. I have a question though. I want to try something different this time around and wonder if anyone has ever fried one with a light cornmeal breading.

That actually sounds pretty tasty ! Nothing heavy, just a light coat. What do y'all think ? I am having to start thinking about what all we are going to cook up this year.

I don't think it will work that well because you have to fry the bird for so long. I think the cornmeal will break down and burn and or become not so tasty. BTW, the best turkey I've ever had was fried after being injected with Tony's creole butter injection. AWESOME!

I don't think it will work that well because you have to fry the bird for so long. I think the cornmeal will break down and burn and or become not so tasty. BTW, the best turkey I've ever had was fried after being injected with Tony's creole butter injection. AWESOME!

Yeah, I inject them all the time. I like to use the garlic kind. Man it's killer ! As far as the cornmeal goes, it might be ok. You only fry turkeys about 2 minutes per pound and I only fry them no larger than about 10 to 12 pounds. Might have to make a test run !

I would mix the cornmeal with a little flour. Can't wait to hear how it turns out! You could always get a small turkey to test with. Or even pieces.

I was never a big fan of turkey. Pilgrims should have eaten pork instead.

AMEN. I'm force fed turkey and chicken all the time. I keep asking the wife to pick up some salami or pastrami,roast beef for some sandwich makings but she always comes back with the "birds".(chicken roll,99% fat free turkey)

give me my red meat and pork products ATLEAST once every other day of the week and i would be a happier person.

>>sandwich makings

There's a term you don't hear every day. Don't lie Kevin, you want an entire loaf of french bread (skip the sub stuff) loaded down with boloni, pastrami, smoked ham, cajun ham, honey ham, virginia ham, bacon, american, swiss, provalone and lard baby.

Meat: it's the only way to go. And FWIW, this "never ate a 1/4 pounder in my life" just polished off a Whopper with fries added to the sandwich. Life's not the same without red meat. :shrug:

TPS

Yeah, I inject them all the time. I like to use the garlic kind. Man it's killer ! As far as the cornmeal goes, it might be ok. You only fry turkeys about 2 minutes per pound and I only fry them no larger than about 10 to 12 pounds. Might have to make a test run !

What temperature do you fry at? I fry at 350 for 3 mintues per pound. They come out crispy and juicy with just Tony's sprinkled on the outside and injected with Cajun Butter.

I really think the cornmeal would burn because if you are cooking for only 2 mintues per pound you have got to be cooking at a really high temperature.

What temperature do you fry at? I fry at 350 for 3 mintues per pound. They come out crispy and juicy with just Tony's sprinkled on the outside and injected with Cajun Butter.

I really think the cornmeal would burn because if you are cooking for only 2 mintues per pound you have got to be cooking at a really high temperature.

You are probably right. I'll start going at 350 or 300 degrees.

Man maybe pm Jai Five, he fries a lot of turkeys, he did some last year at the Miami game in Baton Rouge, while the SR vultures circled just waiting, and let me tell you them birds were picked clean to the bone :worthy: :bowdown: yeah i was being a pig about it!

I agree with Brennan 77. I am thinking the crumbs will start to burn. I would think you would have to do a full flour, egg wash, breading for it to come out, but then again the crumbs would fall prey to the extended cook time.

Maybe when it is about 3/4 done you could take it out and roll the breading over it and place it back in the grease!?!??!

I agree with Brennan 77. I am thinking the crumbs will start to burn. I would think you would have to do a full flour, egg wash, breading for it to come out, but then again the crumbs would fall prey to the extended cook time.

Maybe when it is about 3/4 done you could take it out and roll the breading over it and place it back in the grease!?!??!

And then run to the hospital to be treated for third degree burns.:ezbill:

I find that you usually have to go a little more than 3 minutes per pound at 350 to make sure that the internal temp gets to 160 on a 12-15 pund bird. I coat mine w/ Tony's and inject

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom