From a Jets fan... what it was like while Jon was a Jet. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Players in the league come and go... a lot of them don't really have a connection to their fans. Jonathan Vilma was not that player. Vilma over his 4 years here in the Jets organization proved what it means to be a team player.

2004 & 2005

He was a leader on the field, and off the field he was a great helper. He would sign every autograph for every fan no matter how long it took. In 2004 Vilma was selected by the Jets, he was built to be the best linebacker for the Jets in years... Vilma became just that. In the 4-3 defense he excelled, and quickly gained League Wide Status as an elite LB for the Jets. He was chosen as A.P. Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2004... he was straight up Beastly. In 2005 he was selected to his 1st Pro Bowl (certainly not his last).

2006 brought many changes to the ENTIRE Jets team, but the biggest hit the team took was the misplacement of the STAR on defense Jonathan Vilma. Having played his entire College career at the U in a 4-3 defense and his stellar 1st two years in the NFL.. our new coach brought with him to the Jets his 3-4 defense. Vilma tried his hardest to "gel" into this new scheme.. that he was not used to. Vilma is a PURE 4-3 player.

Failure to adapt and injuries led to the Jets having to let go of their Defensive Captain, and fan favorite.

We ALL know it was hard for the Coaching staff to let a player like him go. But it was inevitable, it would not have worked out in his favor just sitting in an uncomfortable position on this team. Having met him numerous times, I know he LOVED playing here.. what wasn't there to love about the Jets? The fans LOVED him.. what more could he want than to be accepted as our Captain?

To Jonathan Vilma from all of us Jets fans: Get healthy and kick some NFC ***! Your fans back in the North East will be rooting for ya! Unfortunate you had to leave.. but go and finish your career, which we all know will be a very good one!

1119408471201523.jpg

Vilma's first game as a New York Jet, September 12th 2004.
I wanted to let you know the type of player you guys are getting in Jonathan Vilma. This is from a die hard Jets fan, I go to EVERY game. He was one of my favorite players, I posted this on a Jets Message Board. The Jets fans, and organization lost a great person, and player.

Congrats New Orleans Saints fans, you deserve to have a player like Jon.

That writing up there is from my heart. I meant every word I said, it was great having the chance to meet Jon.

thanks. Saints fans everywhere welcome him with open arms.

Classy post.

We are extremely excited to have him. Can't wait to see what he can do as the leader in our 4-3.

Very, very classy man... we'll try to treat him as well as y'all did... can't wait for him to suit up in black and gold!!!!

I feel a little choked up to be getting a guy like this.. I've been waking up in a much better mood..lol

Great post. I hope he can come back strong from the injury. He sounds like a fantasic player and person.

I know the situation was different, but I remember feeling the same way when we let go of Sam Mills. Mills was getting older, but his skills really hadn't diminished. Everyone was pretty heartbroken and upset that he left, though in our case it was just an idiotic move by the staff.

Vilma has been one of my favorite players over the years--and I hope he remains one of my favorites for years to come.

great post man...loved my boy since he went to DA U!!

Great post. I hope he can come back strong from the injury. He sounds like a fantasic player and person.
He is with out a doubt, one of the nicest players. At training camp, when people would tell him it's time to go, he would tell them wait a second. Great guy, and awesome player.

At games #51's jersey was the most seen. He is a great leader. It REALLY hurts me to see him go.

I am thrilled to get him. Thanks for sharing that, Nyjetsfan69. He will become a fan favorite here, too. He sounds like we view Deuce here. Thanks again.

just by being a legit MLB he's already become my favorite Saint player on D

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Vilma was high on my list when the Jets drafted him, and I can't believe we got him, basically in his prime. Now I'm finding out what a great person he is as well as being a great player.

It's really good of you to let us know about Vilma. I expect Saints fans are going to take very good care of him. Some are already seeing his acquisition as the defense side of adding Brees.

Come back any time. Vilma fans are welcome here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom