From Picketed to Preeminence - Former Saints voice Henderson looks back on storied career (1 Viewer)

• Admin
1592810979708.png

By Mark Menard | WWL Radio

As hard as it may be to believe, Jim Henderson, the beloved retired "Voice of the Saints" and WWL-TV news director, was not initially welcomed to New Orleans with open arms when he replaced the legendary Hap Glaudi.

"The opening introduction of me at 5 o'clock with Phil Johnson on the set with Bill Elder, they wheeled some studio cameras out in front of Channel 4 on Rampart Street and were showing people picketing me for age discrimination for Hap," Henderson said. "And the fact that I was... coming from Atlanta was certainly something that didn't endear me to a lot of people."

Henderson joined "Sports Talk" guest host and current "Voice of the Saints" Zach Strief Thursday night on WWL Radio to reminisce about his career reporting on sports in the Big Easy and calling games for the Black and Gold.

Of course it didn't take long for the Rochester, N.Y., native to ingratiate himself to his new audience through his work, and he would eventually spend 31 years as the radio voice of the Saints, becoming a local institution. ....

Full Story - WWL Radio

Andrus Whitewing

Andrus Whitewing

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom