From the View of a Jets Fan (1 Viewer)

jets526

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been posting one of these on our oppositions message board the last two weeks (Patriots, Titans) and it has fueled some great discussion about the game from both sides and I hope we can do that here.

Here's how I view the game:

Your offense has been electric so far this year and I don't expect any less on Sunday. However, this Jets defense is going to be the best you have faced so far and I look for us to make you work a little harder to score the points you have been getting used to seeing. The key for our defense this week is getting back Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland. These two cornerbacks played great games in Week's 1 and 2 before having to sit out Week 3 with injuries. They will be key to covering the plethora of weapons that you guys have on offense. I expect to see a heavy dose of blitzing by Rex Ryan's defense on Sunday. We will employ a very similar defensive strategy as we did against New England and Tom Brady in that we will be sending the house at Brees all day. This approach has worked for us so far and definitely is the only way we can win this game on the road. We are going to need to hit Brees consistently and get him off the field quickly. Kris Jenkins has been a huge factor this year on our defense stuffing the run as well as opening lanes for our blitzing linebackers. Look for the Jets to send 6-7 on many downs this game. The one person on your team I can say I am not concerned with is Colston. Now, this may be a bold statement and it is a similar one to something I said on the Patriots board before their game. I told them that I wasn't concerned with Randy Moss and they laughed me off the board saying that nobody could cover Moss. Darelle Revis has had an absolutely outstanding season. We are going to need him to step up again this week as he will be on an island against Colston for the majority of the game. Your offense definitely has the advantage and being at home will really help you guys. I am hoping our defense is able to create some third and longs which will allow us to send the house at Brees and force some bad throws.

On offense, I am looking for the Jets to pound the run throughout the first half. We are going to need to eat up some clock in order to keep Brees and your prolific offense off the field. Thomas Jones has had a very underwhelming season but he will continue to get 15-20 carries on Sunday. Leon Washington is the key in this game, as he always is for our offense. We will need him to help establish the running game and catch some passes out of the backfield and turn them into big plays. We will be forced to open up our game plan at some point in this game and put the ball in Sanchez's hands and make him win the game passing the ball. So far, Sanchez shows great presence in the pocket which is amazing for a rookie quarterback. I can guarantee that whether we win or lose, you will come out of this game very impressed with what Sanchez does, especially on third down.

Overall, I am excited for this game. I don't really expect a win because you guys are at home and you have looked pretty unbeatable so far. I look forward to a great game.

What's with all the classy visiting fans lately? It's starting to get weird. At least that will change when we play Dallas and Atlanta.

Welcomd Jets fan. You show some courage and seem to be honest in your veiw of what will happen. I think yall would be better off just rushin your down four and droppin in coverage like the bills did and playing clock control with your offense. Brees will torch the blitz in perfect conditions in the dome. And if yall focus on the pass too much we will pound it with Thomas, Hamilton and Bush. Plus Colston should not be the priority of your defense. If you stop him, Drew has no problem passing to a wide open Devery, Meachem, Lance, or Shockey. I would not say your defense is the key to this game as much as how does your offense do with Sanchez handling the pressure and our much underated defense.

I say saints win 31 - 20

What's with all the classy visiting fans lately? It's starting to get weird. At least that will change when we play Dallas and Atlanta.

This.

I say bring the blitz. Drew loves it. Keep 'em coming, and you'll see the offense you saw against Detroit and Philly.

And don't underrate our defense. Ask T.O.

Funny how every strategy for beating the Saints sounds the same. Bring the blitz, run the ball. I guess that's why they play the game.

I do get a little surprised by how quickly Jets fans write off Colston v.s. Revis. Yes he's good, but that doesn't make him tall or give him reach. At 5'11'', against 6'4'', Colston will have the reach factor in there. How will Revis completely take away the height advantage?

Hey guys,

I've been posting one of these on our oppositions message board the last two weeks (Patriots, Titans) and it has fueled some great discussion about the game from both sides and I hope we can do that here.

Your offense has been electric so far this year and I don't expect any less on Sunday. However, this Jets defense is going to be the best you have faced so far and I look for us to make you work a little harder to score the points you have been getting used to seeing. The key for our defense this week is getting back Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland. These two cornerbacks played great games in Week's 1 and 2 before having to sit out Week 3 with injuries. They will be key to covering the plethora of weapons that you guys have on offense. I expect to see a heavy dose of blitzing by Rex Ryan's defense on Sunday. We will employ a very similar defensive strategy as we did against New England and Tom Brady in that we will be sending the house at Brees all day. This approach has worked for us so far and definitely is the only way we can win this game on the road. We are going to need to hit Brees consistently and get him off the field quickly. Kris Jenkins has been a huge factor this year on our defense stuffing the run as well as opening lanes for our blitzing linebackers. Look for the Jets to send 6-7 on many downs this game. The one person on your team I can say I am not concerned with is Colston. Now, this may be a bold statement and it is a similar one to something I said on the Patriots board before their game. I told them that I wasn't concerned with Randy Moss and they laughed me off the board saying that nobody could cover Moss. Darelle Revis has had an absolutely outstanding season. We are going to need him to step up again this week as he will be on an island against Colston for the majority of the game. Your offense definitely has the advantage and being at home will really help you guys. I am hoping our defense is able to create some third and longs which will allow us to send the house at Brees and force some bad throws.

On offense, I am looking for the Jets to pound the run throughout the first half. We are going to need to eat up some clock in order to keep Brees and your prolific offense off the field. Thomas Jones has had a very underwhelming season but he will continue to get 15-20 carries on Sunday. Leon Washington is the key in this game, as he always is for our offense. We will need him to help establish the running game and catch some passes out of the backfield and turn them into big plays. We will be forced to open up our game plan at some point in this game and put the ball in Sanchez's hands and make him win the game passing the ball. So far, Sanchez shows great presence in the pocket which is amazing for a rookie quarterback. I can guarantee that whether we win or lose, you will come out of this game very impressed with what Sanchez does, especially on third down.

Overall, I am excited for this game. I don't really expect a win because you guys are at home and you have looked pretty unbeatable so far. I look forward to a great game.

Nice post and it should be a great game but don't compare Colston to Moss. Moss is a great receiver but he takes plays off and defenses know that when he comes off of the los or actually just stands there. Colston plays hard every play and will take someone out of the play even if the ball is not going to him so be prepared for a battle.

I think the Bills exposed the flaw in our offense: the left side of our line. I would assume Rex Ryan is going to overload the left side with blitzers during passing downs to exploit this flaw.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Good Post, very respectable. However, i fully intend to use this:

The one person on your team I can say I am not concerned with is Colston.

as my sig. after this game, quoted directly from you. I realize that he played well against Moss, and i won't laugh you off the board because Revis is playing like a top 5 cornerback right now without a doubt. BUT, Colston isn't Moss, he's completely different. He isn't afraid to go over the middle full speed to make a catch, he will be used in every WR position on the field, 1 spot, 2 spot, slot. We move him around to get a favorable matchup, the Jets might intend to move Revis around to match him like the Bills did and were semi effective with. But even if Revis has skin tight coverage on him, there are few WR's in the league that have Colston's body control (Fitzgerald and maybe one or two others) he uses his body in a way that shields the defender no matter how good the coverage is:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/964ERkXVDOY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/964ERkXVDOY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You always need to worry about Colston!!!

If you're looking to pound the run,to eat clock good luck. Don't think the Jets will be that successful at that. Saints D has been very stout vs the run this year. Saints have given up 201 yds on the ground 67yds per game and a 3.2ypc, and the Jets haven't been to successful running the ball either 390yds in 3 games (190 of them coming in week1). We shall see though

Welcome jets526. Good post there buddy. I would like to say that nor do I look for Colston to have a big game. Revis is a stud. But, fortunately, as you know, N.O. has a lot of weapons and Payton is a mastermind when it comes to creating mismatches. The one thing that you stated, which I will caution you to watch for is if Ryan decides to bring the house on Brees, he will literally pick them apart. Go back and look at where Brees' success has come from. I can tell you. It is teams blitzing too many defenders. He has a very quick 3 step drop. If you look at the way Buffalo was successful with keeping Brees' stats down last week, you will see they were able to get adequate pressure with their front 4. They didn't have to blitz too much. I have confidence that this game will have a slow start. It's going to take a little time for the Saints offense to figure out what the heck it is Rex Ryan is throwing at them.

That's why I like the match-up so much. This game features 2 of the best football minds in Payton's offense and Ryan's defense. As a Jets fan, you should be a little concerned about Sanchez's inexperience. I know he has played extremely well up to this point. But I'm not sure he's seen the complex defensive packages that Gregg Williams is going to throw at him. He likes to mix up the 3-4, 4-3, Elephant Defense, Nickel, and Dime with complex blitz packages. The one thing that will help the Jets a little though is a good offensive line.

Now for the Jets defense. All of the things I just stated about Williams' exotic defense is true about Ryan's defenses x 2! It'll be interesting to see if Payton is able to create mis-matches for this game. Needless to say, it will be a dandy to watch.

I feel it will be a closely played out game with a slow offensive start for both teams.

We look forward to some great discussion with you and other Jets fans.

I'm just glad we're getting mostly the good Jets fans over here. There are some TOTAL homers over there that I'd really rather not see around these parts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom