Frozen chicken question (2 Viewers)

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Went into a chain pizza joint to pickup two pizzas last night. While waiting 20 minutes in the waiting area, I observed the employee in charge of the wings repeatedly handle frozen chicken wings with no gloves. Employee then went around touching everything from the pizza boxes to the register keys.

The bag of frozen wings sat open right next to the oil fryer for as long as I was standing there waiting so I am sure they were semi thawed at best. As I left I discreetly mentioned to the manager what I saw and he apologized and said he would handle it.

So is it safe to handle semi thawed chicken like that without washing your hands or does the chicken have to be completely thawed to be an issue?

Not safe.

The bigger question is why were you in a crappy chain pizza restaurant? :p

Not safe.

The bigger question is why were you in a crappy chain pizza restaurant? :p

Where I live, my options are limited. Although there is a place called Buck and Johnny's that I have not tried yet. Not sure if they have a drive through or pick up. Just came in from an 8 hour drive and just wanted to get home.

Not a good idea. Not wearing gloves to handle the chicken is not really an issue, as it will go through the cooking process -ie- cooking will kill whatever germs are on there. However, they should have washed their hands and sanitized before touching anything else.And you definitely do not want to touch things that will not be cooked , such a veggies, fruits, etc..without gloves.. And leaving the frozen chicken sitting out that long is not an issue either, it will start to thaw, but you have about a 2 hour window after it thaws before you start to have problems. Just make sure you cook it thoroughly, all the way through.

The employee was probably in the wrong. However, it's not impossible at a crappy pizza chain than the breaded, frozen wings were precooked. That still doesn't account for the temperature issue, though.

The employee was probably in the wrong. However, it's not impossible at a crappy pizza chain than the breaded, frozen wings were precooked. That still doesn't account for the temperature issue, though.

From what I could find online, certain stores that have the oil fryers do not use precooked wings. If they do not have the fryers and have to run the wings through the pizza oven, they use the precooked wings.

They were fried for at least five minutes.

fat-man-at-computer.jpg

From what I could find online, certain stores that have the oil fryers do not use precooked wings. If they do not have the fryers and have to run the wings through the pizza oven, they use the precooked wings.

I'll buy that. That's a huge safety issue then, especially if the wings are being allowed to partially thaw before being touched.

I wouldn't worry about the wings. If cooked right, and most fast food is really got it to a fine art any germs are killed. What is more troubling is all the cross contamination. If they are ok with handling raw chicken and then touching other items in front of the customer, obviously they do not care about sanitation. Tom and Ivan would have killed someone if they did that in the kitchen I worked at in college.

Are you still in Lafayette?

If so, Deanos is the place to be. Bisbanos is good too.

Though we always washed our hands, we never wore gloves at Papa John's when making pizzas. No one seemed to complain (all the ingredients were pre-cooked, except the veggies)

I can't imagine not washing my hands after handling raw chicken.

Dude seriously? The chicken is precooked. End of discussion.
I don't care what lies they tell you, the chicken is precooked.
Also, if they are prebreaded but stayed out, the product would die. They can't possibly thaw from raw and maintain there breading.

Seriously, I know you are just trolling and think its funny but you are one weird dude. Who brags about eating processed foods all the time?

You make jokes about eating horse meat. That's nuts man.
Horses are more valuable for what they produce with their body. I can't imagine how ******** and sickly a horse has to be for his life to be worth more money as ground up patty filler.

I have some bad news to tell you. Almost every single chain fast food type place you have every been will have you retching if you ever saw what was happening in the kitchen on a daily basis.

when you live in the land called the great white buffalo..you know the chicken wing,pu tu kongo..lets surf deep into the night.

i have never heard of a oven baked breaded chicken wing.that sounds horrible

p.s.- we (hot chick) were in raleigh,,nc to visit the nug not long ago..the nug said.."mom,dad..you've did a lot for me..dinner is on me".

they served in with no sauce right after deep fry and had spiced garlic dressing for a dip..almost near that bottled ranch crap that comes from the farm..in plastic

we consume chicken wings here..maybe two/three times a yr..and that when we entertain the out of town circus act of family and friends that want to suck off us for a few days..

chicken wings are horrible for your blood flow..i could care less if i ever eat another one.

chicken wing dip is the way to go..i perfected that mo-fo

god bless the game hen

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom