Fuel shortages (1 Viewer)

Gonna need better cybersecurity experts to avoid what could be setting a bad precedent...

Gonna need better cybersecurity experts to avoid what could be setting a bad precedent...

Jesus Christ, everything is so fragile... Our entire system, held together with duct tape and bubblegum... It’s so depressing.

Jesus Christ, everything is so fragile... Our entire system, held together with duct tape and bubblegum... It’s so depressing.
This is totally avoidable with just a little money. There are many backup solutions which provide immutable backups. They aren't cheap but 8 million would easily get a solid system or off site copy. More gets you a defense system where you can roll back to a few mins before the attack. It's all over in an hour or so.

Slowly folks are learning the lesson that you need a robust budget and state of the art systems. Business doesn't run on paper. It doesn't exist disconnected from the world.

IDK what the fallout will be for this company, but they are lucky in that people need gas too much to stop buying from them.

you need to stretch before reaching like that
a. consider that the chief of benefit of costco is buying in bulk for economic benefit - someone who is attracted to saving money by buying huge bags of cereal, would also be attracted to the significant discount on gas prices - and maybe high rollers like MBS don't notice a difference in $5/tank, but $5/tank everytime you fill up will eventually make a difference regardless of how high you hold your pinkie (think of how much cereal you can get with an extra $5/week!!!)

b. i would think most people in line have already committed to shopping at Costco so they're not going out of their way - they're adding 15 minutes to their 30 minute shopping jaunt, ie they've already budgeted that time

you say 'idiocracy' i say simple cost-benefit analysis
This is before hurricanes, specifically Florence and Irma. Lines 100 cars deep waiting for gas 4-7 days before the Hurricane makes landfall when the average track area is about 300 miles. This while gas stations less than a half mile away people can pull up to the pump with no line.

At Costco it was Armageddon, it was zombie apocalypse, it was dooms day. Everywhere else it was just Wednesday. That has nothing to do with $5.

This is before hurricanes, specifically Florence and Irma. Lines 100 cars deep waiting for gas 4-7 days before the Hurricane makes landfall when the average track area is about 300 miles. This while gas stations less than a half mile away people can pull up to the pump with no line.

At Costco it was Armageddon, it was zombie apocalypse, it was dooms day. Everywhere else it was just Wednesday. That has nothing to do with $5.
ah...

Also, for the sake of argument- let’s assume that the price per gallon at Costco was indeed 25 cents lower than the average gas station.. i did some quick calculations , my vehicle has a 26.5 gallon tank, so if i was near empty , I’d probably wind up purchasing 25 gallons.. at a 25 cent per gallon savings, I’d save approximately $6.25.. Not bad, BUT those lines were so long, i would most likely be waiting 20 to 30 minutes, and probably burn a gallon or more just waiting, making my total savings about $3.00... Not to mention the time spent waiting, and the frustration.. all to save a measly three bucks.
You've already applied more thought to it than most people will in their lives. Of course, with Costco, you also get a % back depending on membership. But yeah, I try to only go when the lines aren't stupid. I'll just drive past.

Gas prices are often over blown, unless you're a trucker, delivery person, own a fleet, UBER, etc. Outside of that, most of us fill up once a week. If it's $20 or $40 to fill up, it's less of an impact than going out to eat once or going to the bar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom