Fuel shortages (1 Viewer)

In my personal experience, and I have a ton of it, the first place gas lines start are at Costco and they always have the longest Iines. I firmly believe that you could get 20 cars to go line up at Costco and create a half mile long line at any time of the day or night. The average Costco shopper will see the line and get in it because they will fear missing out even if they don't know why. You can normally go down the street and find empty pumps at other stations. It is the most incredible human behavior I witness in disasters.

Prior to hurricane Florence in Wilmington, NC the hurricane was still 8 days from landfall and everything was normal throughout the city. At Costco there were massive lines for gas, the line for propane tanks looped around the parking lot, they were out of water, milk, bread, meats, etc. Literally a block away you could pull up to any pump without wait. It is the most sheepish behavior I see and blows me away every time I see it.

I can't help but think of Idiocracy every single time.

The average Costco shopper will see the line and get in it because they will fear missing out even if they don't know why. You can normally go down the street and find empty pumps at other stations. It is the most incredible human behavior I witness in disasters.

‘Incredible’ is one word for it... Makes me wanna cancel my membership.

We've had a Costco membership for about 15 years and at most we have gotten gas there 1 time. The reason is simple and has been stated, the lines. Unless there's an emergency, or a shortage, I'm not sitting in a line to get gas. It could be free and I'm not waiting in a long line.

We've had a Costco membership for about 15 years and at most we have gotten gas there 1 time. The reason is simple and has been stated, the lines. Unless there's an emergency, or a shortage, I'm not sitting in a line to get gas. It could be free and I'm not waiting in a long line.
I just go to Racetrack for my discounted gas. They also have an ice cream bar .

A good piece of advice I received years ago. Before you put the lawn mower up for the winter,run it out of gas. If you have extra gas in a can, add a fuel stabilizer. It will be good the following season. The best places to find these is at auto parts stores

Yeah, I rebuilt the carb in my mower because I didn't run it out of gas and the ethanol was unfriendly. Mower carb kits are cheap though, but it still takes time to do it.

In my personal experience, and I have a ton of it, the first place gas lines start are at Costco and they always have the longest Iines. I firmly believe that you could get 20 cars to go line up at Costco and create a half mile long line at any time of the day or night. The average Costco shopper will see the line and get in it because they will fear missing out even if they don't know why. You can normally go down the street and find empty pumps at other stations. It is the most incredible human behavior I witness in disasters.

Prior to hurricane Florence in Wilmington, NC the hurricane was still 8 days from landfall and everything was normal throughout the city. At Costco there were massive lines for gas, the line for propane tanks looped around the parking lot, they were out of water, milk, bread, meats, etc. Literally a block away you could pull up to any pump without wait. It is the most sheepish behavior I see and blows me away every time I see it.

I can't help but think of Idiocracy every single time.
you need to stretch before reaching like that
a. consider that the chief of benefit of costco is buying in bulk for economic benefit - someone who is attracted to saving money by buying huge bags of cereal, would also be attracted to the significant discount on gas prices - and maybe high rollers like MBS don't notice a difference in $5/tank, but $5/tank everytime you fill up will eventually make a difference regardless of how high you hold your pinkie (think of how much cereal you can get with an extra $5/week!!!)

b. i would think most people in line have already committed to shopping at Costco so they're not going out of their way - they're adding 15 minutes to their 30 minute shopping jaunt, ie they've already budgeted that time

you say 'idiocracy' i say simple cost-benefit analysis

Yeah, I rebuilt the carb in my mower because I didn't run it out of gas and the ethanol was unfriendly. Mower carb kits are cheap though, but it still takes time to do it.
Always use 100% gasoline in small engines. Ethanol is a corrosive and breaks down oil quickly. Modern cars can take it,but I always buy ethanol free gasoline. Below is a map of where you can buy it in your area.

Always use 100% gasoline in small engines. Ethanol is a corrosive and breaks down oil quickly. Modern cars can take it,but I always buy ethanol free gasoline. Below is a map of where you can buy it in your area.

I used that site once, went to the nearest station it had listed and they did not have ethanol free gas. I asked the dude working there if they had it and he had no idea what I was talking about.

I used that site once, went to the nearest station it had listed and they did not have ethanol free gas. I asked the dude working there if they had it and he had no idea what I was talking about.

If you want to drive north to Temple, Buccee's should have a few pumps with ethanol-free gas. Get some Beaver nuggets while your there.

Sorry, I know the internet is not perfect :). I guess i'm one of the lucky ones. I have a ethanol free station a mile from my home

Sorry, I know the internet is not perfect :). I guess i'm one of the lucky ones. I have a ethanol free station a mile from my home
Or I just didn't find it and the gas station guy was clueless. I think that is more likely what happened. :)

Sta-Bil (available from any automotive store or Amazon) will take care of it. Works on 2- and 4-stroke engines, you just add it to the gas can.

It's not really impacting us in Colorado. We've got a couple refineries right around the Denver area.

That said, I'm happy I work from home and recently got a Mini Countryman as a grocery getter. That thing can get nearly 500miles of range out of a tank.

you need to stretch before reaching like that
a. consider that the chief of benefit of costco is buying in bulk for economic benefit - someone who is attracted to saving money by buying huge bags of cereal, would also be attracted to the significant discount on gas prices - and maybe high rollers like MBS don't notice a difference in $5/tank, but $5/tank everytime you fill up will eventually make a difference regardless of how high you hold your pinkie (think of how much cereal you can get with an extra $5/week!!!)

b. i would think most people in line have already committed to shopping at Costco so they're not going out of their way - they're adding 15 minutes to their 30 minute shopping jaunt, ie they've already budgeted that time

you say 'idiocracy' i say simple cost-benefit analysis

Think how much Brawndo you can buy with $5 per week!!!!! Your garden will be beautiful because it's what plants crave.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom