Fuel shortages (1 Viewer)

People like fuel but people want people to use less fuel.
I wouldn't say people like fuel. They need it in a wide variety of applications. And there are myriad types of fuel. People ordinarily want to be fuel efficient to the extent possible. But, it depends on what the tradeoff is to achieve that efficiency.

Fuel shortages are a good thing for the environment.

I stand by my earlier statement. If fuel shortages leads to dislocations and panic buying, then it's not necessarily good for the environment. Of course it depends on what caused the shortage in the first place. In the current situation, it's more because of an inability to actually deliver the fuel than a shortage. Legitimate shortages, i.e. not drilling enough to meet demand is a different issue.

At some point fuel shortages should lead to higher prices and less consumption, which is what environmentalists want, is not? Sorry.

This isn't a shortage. And actually, there's a ton more supply than demand. If prices go up, that means more drilling to meet demand if that's needed. There's plenty enough fuel in the ground to last generations.

Do you like fuel?

I don't think anyone likes or dislikes fuel. It's a utilitarian thing. Powers cars, homes and much of our lives. It's just really useful in a lot of ways.

In what application then? We should all consume less, but what is the mechanism for that?
The mechanism for consuming less could come in the form of taxes but if you expect people to reduce fuel consumption, there needs to be an alternative.

Fwiw, at least in the US, we've been working on improving fuel efficiency for years, which is why you're seeing more electric vehicles on the road, more ways to utilize alternative energy,

You started with the premise that fuel shortages is good for the environment, but that may or may not be true. The current situation isn't one of them. If anything, the inefficiencies and panic buying has made the current situation worse for the environment, because people aren't thinking about the environment. They're thinking about whether they'll have enough fuel to do what they need to do in the near term.

I wouldn't say people like fuel. They need it in a wide variety of applications. And there are myriad types of fuel. People ordinarily want to be fuel efficient to the extent possible. But, it depends on what the tradeoff is to achieve that efficiency.

I stand by my earlier statement. If fuel shortages leads to dislocations and panic buying, then it's not necessarily good for the environment. Of course it depends on what caused the shortage in the first place. In the current situation, it's more because of an inability to actually deliver the fuel than a shortage. Legitimate shortages, i.e. not drilling enough to meet demand is a different issue.

This isn't a shortage. And actually, there's a ton more supply than demand. If prices go up, that means more drilling to meet demand if that's needed. There's plenty enough fuel in the ground to last generations.

I don't think anyone likes or dislikes fuel. It's a utilitarian thing. Powers cars, homes and much of our lives. It's just really useful in a lot of ways.

The mechanism for consuming less could come in the form of taxes but if you expect people to reduce fuel consumption, there needs to be an alternative.

Fwiw, at least in the US, we've been working on improving fuel efficiency for years, which is why you're seeing more electric vehicles on the road, more ways to utilize alternative energy,

You started with the premise that fuel shortages is good for the environment, but that may or may not be true. The current situation isn't one of them. If anything, the inefficiencies and panic buying has made the current situation worse for the environment, because people aren't thinking about the environment. They're thinking about whether they'll have enough fuel to do what they need to do in the near term.
I'm gonna get MAP if I reply further. I appreciate your thoughts.

I think in theory yes. Just not in this application.
Yeah, gasoline is one of those products that doesn't always follow the normal supply and demand rules. I mean up to a certain point, the price can be as high as the oil companies want and people will still buy gas because they have to have it. So, I'm not sure that higher prices actually reduces use/demand for gasoline other than at the extreme margins.

Yeah, gasoline is one of those products that doesn't always follow the normal supply and demand rules. I mean up to a certain point, the price can be as high as the oil companies want and people will still buy gas because they have to have it. So, I'm not sure that higher prices actually reduces use/demand for gasoline other than at the extreme margins.
And unlike other necessities, most of us have no means to stockpile gasoline. This is probably a good thing, though I'd like to have picked me up about 1000 gallons of that 1.69 stuff in 2020 :hihi:

Human stupidity knows no bounds. First, toilet paper. Now, gasoline and Chick-fil-A sauce.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom