Administrator
Reaction score

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
“I don’t want the New York Times in this county," commissioner Scott Carnahan said during the meeting. "I don’t like them. It’s fake news.”

Days later, Carnahan defended his comments, saying that free press shouldn't be "at the taxpayers’ expense.”

This guy....

Also:

And:

Last edited:

49erKiller

I am 100% human
Reaction score
It's just embarrassing. My family from Canada is here and I'm getting peppered with Trump jokes. We're a laughing stock around the world.

Wait until your family from Canada finds out their prime minister went full C. Thomas Howell. Sadly (or gratefully, I suppose), we're not the only embarrassment in North America and the world right now.

OP
Saint by the Bay

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wait until your family from Canada finds out their prime minister went full C. Thomas Howell. Sadly (or gratefully, I suppose), we're not the only embarrassment in North America and the world right now.
They have had a ton less completely stupid moments than us over the last 3 years.

On the other hand they had Rob Ford, which was the great equalizer.

Oye

carry all the groceries in in one trip
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here in the middle of it and can tell you that he was absolutely excoriated by many and it was made a campaign issue at quite a specific time and it impacted the polling in predictable fashion.

The difference is that the counter by the left played their card, which - on one side - was that Scheer had American citizenship and - on the other - had a campaign that was being run, in part, by Trump campaign staff and advisors.

Then, what ensued was a doubling down of the "Trump-esque" nature of Scheer and his ideas around gay marriage and abortion, which weren't entirely accurately presented.

And there's a reason why the Conservatives kept an arms-length distance to Ford and never even really mentioned him by name. The Liberals also siezed on this and it made a huge difference in the GTA.

Ford is a total disaster, as was his brother before him. And that also hurt Conservatives at the ballot box here.

Taking money away from autistic kids and the elderly and the hospital and schools while promiting"A Buck a Beer" and filling positions with cronies isn't sitting well. The Liberals get hammered enough as it is over their favortism with some big pocket investment folks, but they have the luxury of pointing to the Conservatives who are mangling it even worse.

What's also important to note is that the Conservatives are a single party while the progressive parties are split into three smaller parties - so the appeal of a "Conservative" government is a bit oversimplistic.

Additionally, I don't think a fight of Trump's litany of transgressions - including the racist - is going to come close to balancing the moral ledger between the two. Thus, I think trying to have a conversation on "I get Trump, but your guy did this..." is a discussion that's going to be even handed.

There's no equivalency here. And I say this as someone who isn't really a big fan of Trudeau.

And I spend a *ton* of time being some sort of spokesperson for "Americans" or "Americans from the South"

but the laughter has changed - it's no longer funny. Now it's more like a clinical concern for the health and wellbeing of the country and the look is now one of pity, feeling sorry for us because - as it turns out - we're pretty dumb.

There's no "yea, but" that has effectively balanced those scales in any discussion I've ever had up here.

Even during Ford :covri:

There is no equalizer. Embarassment for both? Sure. Remotely close in embarrassment? Nah. One dude farted in church and it echoed loudly on the pew. Another dude grabbed the collection plate, dumped the money into his own pocket, proceeded to stand at the pulpit and defecate into the collection plate to both cheers and jeers and then had an affair with the organist.

In this regard, Trump is *the* Trump card.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom