Full text of Obama's speech this morning (1 Viewer)

I just don't get this position.
<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T71c2FXsbEw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
The way it comes across to me is that out of one side of the Obama camp's mouth I hear "We must move beyond race", out of the other side I hear "Obama is uniquely qualified to be president because he is black," and the two were competing themes in his speech.

Indeed. If this isnt double speak, I dont know what is, and on top of that its a load of BS.

Only if:

A) one really, really, desperately wants it to
- or -
B) one lacks comprehension skills
- or -
C) one lives in his/her own little world where a black candidate for President, having already won states like Iowa and Wyoming, is going to go on the radio and intentionally call the entire white population racist... which actually may harken back to choice A, lol

the thing with these comments he is making and the fact that now the media and others have to interpret what he is saying vs. taking him for what he is actually saying is confusing to me because prior to the "Rev" issue, He gained allot of his popularity because he is such a great speaker - now when he is trying to "talk his way out of all of this" (for lack of a better expression) he cant make a clear and concise point to put an end to all of this - why all of a sudden do we have to "figure out" what he means? - are all of there prior speeches just word on a page he delivers? does he mean what he is saying and if so why cant he say what he means now?

all of this isnt an indication he is a bad person etc - we are seeing another side of Obama, he being a "new" face to the national political scene he is an unknown to many, most dont know near as much of him as we do of McCain or HRC, they have been around and have had their lives spilled out by the National Media - this is the first time we are seeing more of Obama other than his speeches, he is attacking statements and positions of McCain and HRC, no one questions it, but when he gets some bad press its not anything he did or said its the American publics issue? (those who are not yest completely sold on him as a candidate) - let people judge him by what he says\does like every other candidate - he misspeaks and he gets a free pass, McCain misspoke the other day on Iraq, Iran etc Obama calls him on it like McCain is completely ignorant on Iraq, while McCain is in freaking Iraq? i havent heard Obama talk in depth about Iraq other than he opposed the war.

Obama also called for the firing of Imus, no sense debating on what Imus said, we all had that debate already - we can also say that Imus and the "Rev" made comments that were offensive to some, but not all - Obama said the "Rev" gets a pass because of his good works, Imus has run a ranch for kids with cancer for years, yet his good works dont count?

all of this positioning that this is all about peoples racial hangups, beliefs etc is BS, we hear what a person says and have to decide if we are to judge that personby what he says not what we think he means. If it was about "us" the people of the country we would not have to interpret what he is saying, we could take what he means directly from what he says and make a judgment - its getting to know the man we may elect as president - considering the last 8 yrs, we need to make sure we make the best choice, Obama may well be that choice, and it would be a good thing if he could make a statement that doesnt take a debate to determine what he is saying or what he is meaning to say.

Uhh yeah, we get it. You don't like Obama, but I'm sure you never have.

That's the difference here. Most everyone that has a problem with this story, comes on here pounding their chest, as if they were actually thinking about voting for Obama, while they never actually liked him in the first place. It's a joke.

In reality, the people who were going to vote for him (like me) are still going to vote for him now, while the people that found some sort of reason to dislike him before - still dislike him. It's just now they have something to complain about.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but it's not far from it. I'm proud to be a white male that voted for Barack Obama in the primary and will be voting for him in November. He is exactly what this country needs after these last 7 horrible years.
If you would have read my post on the previous page you would have seen that I said that I probably won't be voting for him because I didn't agree with much of his platform. I don't dislike Obama. He seems like a nice guy, but I disagreed with his ideas long before the Rev Wright contoversy. I don't think that we should be expanding the government while trying to fix some of the countries problems. McCain also wants to expand government to address some of those issues, but I have more in common with McCain than I do Obama or Clinton.

So if we don't support a particular candidate then we aren't free to critcize him or her? If that is the case I'm guessing I won't see you on any threads that go after McCain.

What I disagreed with about Obama's speech was his reference his grandmother. Some people don't see anything wrong with it. That's fine, but I am allowed to voice my own opinion. I'm glad your are proud that you will be voting for Obama. If I agreed with more of his views I would probably feel the same as you.

the thing with these comments he is making and the fact that now the media and others have to interpret what he is saying vs. taking him for what he is actually saying is confusing to me because prior to the "Rev" issue, He gained allot of his popularity because he is such a great speaker - now when he is trying to "talk his way out of all of this" (for lack of a better expression) he cant make a clear and concise point to put an end to all of this - why all of a sudden do we have to "figure out" what he means? - are all of there prior speeches just word on a page he delivers? does he mean what he is saying and if so why cant he say what he means now?

all of this isnt an indication he is a bad person etc - we are seeing another side of Obama, he being a "new" face to the national political scene he is an unknown to many, most dont know near as much of him as we do of McCain or HRC, they have been around and have had their lives spilled out by the National Media - this is the first time we are seeing more of Obama other than his speeches, he is attacking statements and positions of McCain and HRC, no one questions it, but when he gets some bad press its not anything he did or said its the American publics issue? (those who are not yest completely sold on him as a candidate) - let people judge him by what he says\does like every other candidate - he misspeaks and he gets a free pass, McCain misspoke the other day on Iraq, Iran etc Obama calls him on it like McCain is completely ignorant on Iraq, while McCain is in freaking Iraq? i havent heard Obama talk in depth about Iraq other than he opposed the war.

Obama also called for the firing of Imus, no sense debating on what Imus said, we all had that debate already - we can also say that Imus and the "Rev" made comments that were offensive to some, but not all - Obama said the "Rev" gets a pass because of his good works, Imus has run a ranch for kids with cancer for years, yet his good works dont count?

all of this positioning that this is all about peoples racial hangups, beliefs etc is BS, we hear what a person says and have to decide if we are to judge that personby what he says not what we think he means. If it was about "us" the people of the country we would not have to interpret what he is saying, we could take what he means directly from what he says and make a judgment - its getting to know the man we may elect as president - considering the last 8 yrs, we need to make sure we make the best choice, Obama may well be that choice, and it would be a good thing if he could make a statement that doesnt take a debate to determine what he is saying or what he is meaning to say.

I understand what you are saying, but on this particular statement of his - I don't see anything but spin. If you listen to the broadcast for yourself it's clear as crystal what he said. He said his grandmother is proud of him. Said his intent was not to portray her as someone who is filled with racial animosity or hatred (adressing previous spin). Said plain as day that she does not hold those kind of beliefs, then immediately said she is a typical white person, clearly indicating his belief that "typical white people" aren't racist in his opinion. And that the act of being suspicious of a black stranger has more to do with ingrained teaching than deep seeded hatred. His detractors spun it 180 degrees to try to glean an 'Obama hates white people' meaning from it and ran with it in an effort to score politically. Pretty simple stuff really. Par for the course of political desperation. The only reason there's a debate in some circles about what he said is because one side wants there to be, desperately. He is a hard person to find any dirt on that he hasn't already admitted to in book form so at times, it's required to manufacture it.

Now on Imus, you have a point, but remember...
Obama's silence on Imus alarms some blacks - The Boston Globe

That was his political move to silence black critics who were saying he wasn't doing enough by merely calling Imus 'divisive'. His call for Imus to be fired came after pretty much everybody else already did so he should be skewered on the basis of doing it for political purposes, but he was hardly the point man on that front.

I understand what you are saying, but on this particular statement of his - I don't see anything but spin. If you listen to the broadcast for yourself it's clear as crystal what he said. He said his grandmother is proud of him. Said his intent was not to portray her as someone who is filled with racial animosity or hatred (adressing previous spin). Said plain as day that she does not hold those kind of beliefs, then immediately said she is a typical white person, clearly indicating his belief that "typical white people" aren't racist in his opinion. And that the act of being suspicious of a black stranger has more to do with ingrained teaching than deep seeded hatred. His detractors spun it 180 degrees to try to glean an 'Obama hates white people' meaning from it and ran with it in an effort to score politically. Pretty simple stuff really. Par for the course of political desperation. The only reason there's a debate in some circles about what he said is because one side wants there to be, desperately. He is a hard person to find any dirt on that he hasn't already admitted to in book form so at times, it's required to manufacture it.

Now on Imus, you have a point, but remember...

That was his political move to silence black critics who were saying he wasn't doing enough by merely calling Imus 'divisive'. His call for Imus to be fired came after pretty much everybody else already did so he should be skewered on the basis of doing it for political purposes, but he was hardly the point man on that front.

was still his position on Imus, and as discussed before he didnt (or it hasnt been reported) that he tried to council Rev Wright etc.

if he doesnt buy into to these things be a leader and stand up, if he doesnt buy into them and says nothing or follows along with the crowd and takes a position he doesnt agree with- then a leader?

the lack of clarity on some of the other comments seem to not follow the impression he gave all of us a s a great communicator.

im aware that alot of this comes from the media not playing the entire interview etc - but he leaves enough out there to be questioned by it, which is perfectly fine for almost everyone in the country - but not our president, not this next one - IMO this next president will have one of the most scrutinized, most challenged (by that i mean tasks of the next prez)and highest degree of potential failure going in than we have had for a long long time, - he, as any of the candidates should be extra careful and clear on what they thinks. expect and plan to do.

you are correct on his postilion on Imus, it appears he changes due to pressure of certain people

ABC News: Obama: Fire Imus

I think that's one of the positions Kerry and/or some others may be taking, I just don't buy it. It still amounts to double-talk. Race don't matter! / Race matters!

IMO, the speech was a fine political speech, and I enjoyed it in much the same way I enjoy a John Sayles film or one of DD stories. But overall, I was disappointed in the speech - mainly because it wasn't billed as a political speech.

Apart from discussing Rev. Wright, the speech was supposed to address how race was playing a role in this election. IMO, he covered only the parts that served his purposes, and left too much out. IMO, that's not as courageous as some are claiming, especially if over the years he had actually practiced what he has been preaching since eying the oval office.

There was nothing in that speech that I didn't already know. It wasn't especially insightful. Heck, there was nothing in that speech that my 16, 17, and 18 year olds didn't know. They could have given it.

Obama had an opportunity to clean up some things during the "open and honest discussion" and didn't. He had an opportunity to accept some responsibility for enabling and perpetuating some of the damaging practices he spoke against, and didn't. Honestly, I didn't really expect him to. I was just disappointed that he didn't take that moment to prove himself to be the better person that I was hoping to see. End the end, to me, the speech amounted to nothing more than custom wrapped damage control.

Saintlady, even though I started out replying to your response, I'm not directing any of that at you or anyone else here. I guess I just needed to vent my disappointment. I feel better now. :)

Excellent post.

which one of the hatemongers did you get that from,limbaugh,hannity,o'reilly, or one of the not so well know ones?

Hatemongers? Which one of the "hatemongers" did you get that from, Bill Mahr, John Stewart, or one of the not so well known ones?

Here is the exact quote Obama said in his radio interview:
OBAMA: The point I was making was not that my grandmother, uh, harbors, uh, any racial animosity. She doesn't, but she is a, uh, typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, you know, there's a reaction that's been bred into our experiences that -- that don't go away, and that sometimes, uh, come out in -- in the wrong way.
Wow, Obama sure gives some beautifully eloquent speeches, but when he has to think off the top of his head, he seems to put his foot in his mouth an awful lot. I wonder Barack, are you a "typical white person"?, or only half a "typical white person"? You know, the half that fed and clothed you and paid for your education while the your black father abandoned his family? When it becomes politically expedient, he seems to claim his black half, but when he needed a family to raise him and take care of him, he didn't seem to mind his white half back then.

We must seem like a bunch of sissies to the rest of the world. If we are suppose to be free and the best place to live then how bad it do you think must be anywhere else? Man all the media and politicians do is complained.

I predict that soon someone will complain they didnt get as many french fries and the person next to them.

Wow, Obama sure gives some beautifully eloquent speeches, but when he has to think off the top of his head, he seems to put his foot in his mouth an awful lot. I wonder Barack, are you a "typical white person"?, or only half a "typical white person"? You know, the half that fed and clothed you and paid for your education while the your black father abandoned his family? When it becomes politically expedient, he seems to claim his black half, but when he needed a family to raise him and take care of him, he didn't seem to mind his white half back then.

If you analyze the quote, what is he saying? His grandmother is a typical white person. She isn't a racist, she harbors no racial animosity. She has some habits that while not racist, are products of the complexities of racial interaction in the United States.

I know alot of "typical" white people, who have misconceptions and misguided practices
that have grown out of the American racial experience. And they're the rule, not the exception. And the same goes for "typical" African Americans

I can't believe believe, OK I can, how much flack Obama is getting for the "typical white person" comment. Reading the whole quote I fail to see anything to be offended by.

I can't believe believe, OK I can, how much flack Obama is getting for the "typical white person" comment. Reading the whole quote I fail to see anything to be offended by.
Now he and Geraldine Ferraro knows how conservatives feel whenever they are dumped on by the media at the slightest mention of anything to do with race.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom