Saints Fumbles! (2 Viewers)

tbone

Reaction score
Taysom Hill has gotten a lot of flack for the fumbles, but James Winston has had his fair share during his career.

CAREER FUMBLES/CARRIES

TH: 10/151 (6.7%)

JW: 50/256 (20%)

In fairness, I would guess that the majority of JW's fumbles have been from the pocket and not from rushing attempts. A more fair statistic is rushing attempts + passing attempts:

JW: 1570 + 256 = 1826 (2.7% fumble rate)

TH: 151 + 121 = 272 (3.7% fumble rate)

Numbers could be skewed due to sample size but the reality is that Hill's fumble problems are overblown. If it continues, that would be cause for concern but at this point I don't think it's an issue.

Taysom will never come close to Winston because he already showed the world he is not a starting QB. He will either be a backup or jack of all trades until he retires. His small sample size was enough to show all teams he is better at other things not QB. Not one team offered him a starting QB salary and even we went a little more than he should have got. For his role as the jack of all trades, he earned that money, but as a starting QB, we all know he way underperformed in that role and turnovers were extremely high.

fumbles aren’t even top 4 when it comes to my concerns about Taysom at QB.

1. ability to read defenses pre and post snap
2. Ability to act quickly and decisively upon diagnosing the read (pull the trigger!)
3. Ability to call an offense on the fly (execute 2-minute drill)
4. Consistent accuracy and placement

Jameis seemed to have issues with 1.5 of the above in Tampa: reading defenses post-snap and consistent accuracy. He was outstanding in 2-minute situations, delivered the ball decisively and he was great at reading defenses pre-snap (he struggled with post-snap adjustments).

If Taysom could do 3/4 of the above better, he could be a good QB. The problem is that it’s really hard to improve all of those.

If Jameis can just fix 0.5/4, he could be really good.

Mac Jones only has two fumbles in his career (1 lost).

Just saying.

Winston had 6 fumbles at FSU in 2013 and 7 at FSU in 2014.

Mac Jones only has two fumbles in his career (1 lost).

Just saying.

Winston had 6 fumbles at FSU in 2013 and 7 at FSU in 2014.
Right, comparing playing behind arguably the best line in college and not having to do much vs playing against starting NFL defenses . . . Doesn't translate well.

Right, comparing playing behind arguably the best line in college and not having to do much vs playing against starting NFL defenses . . . Doesn't translate well.
Joe Burrow had 4 last year.

Trevor Lawrence had 5 this year and Kyle Trask had 5 each of the past two seasons.

Zach Wilson had 4 and 3 in the past two years, respectively.

Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts, and Kedon Slovis had 8 in 2019.

Taysom Hill’s “fumbles per touch” last season is the worst rate of any player in the history of the Saints. Make of it what you will.
Ehhhhh.....I could let it slide for a guy that has his abilities. Dude is a beast. That’s just my on personal feelings

2. Ability to act quickly and decisively upon diagnosing the read (pull the trigger!)

My personal main issue with Hill as a full time QB is the hat you stated above, but not just with throwing the ball. For whatever reason, I saw (or sensed?) the same indecision when he was trying to decide when to tuck it and go.

Now maybe you could argue that Coach was asking him to stay in the pocket a hair longer or whatever. But, for a 30yo elite athlete at QB to not have the “When to go!” decision making down pat yet, it worries me. Also, let’s be honest, Taysom is speed and power, but not exactly “twitchy.” It takes his train a moment to get going down the tracks, and that is all the more reason he needs to be just a split second quicker on the decision than a Wilson or Mahomes type who can wait until the last possible second to bail.

As for the fumbles, I think they could be overlooked a bit, IF some of the other issues you mentioned weren’t there.

Unfortunately though, they are and the fumbles just puts it over the top.

My personal main issue with Hill as a full time QB is the hat you stated above, but not just with throwing the ball. For whatever reason, I saw (or sensed?) the same indecision when he was trying to decide when to tuck it and go.

Now maybe you could argue that Coach was asking him to stay in the pocket a hair longer or whatever. But, for a 30yo elite athlete at QB to not have the “When to go!” decision making down pat yet, it worries me. Also, let’s be honest, Taysom is speed and power, but not exactly “twitchy.” It takes his train a moment to get going down the tracks, and that is all the more reason he needs to be just a split second quicker on the decision than a Wilson or Mahomes type who can wait until the last possible second to bail.

As for the fumbles, I think they could be overlooked a bit, IF some of the other issues you mentioned weren’t there.

Unfortunately though, they are and the fumbles just puts it over the top.

Agree. If it were JUST being too slow to run it or JUST to slow to get rid of the ball, that would be one thing and could be explained by what Payton instructed him to do. But even when he’s put out there strictly to throw the deep ball, he’s been late getting rid of it virtually every time, most recently against the Bears.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom