Saints Fumbles! (1 Viewer)

Does his value diminish with his "accrue fumbling issues", or it doesn't it?! Who said he wasn't valuable or even good??? WHO??? You just let it be known that you're a Taysom apologist, that's all. I said nothing negative; just FACTS!!! How are you so sure he can correct it?! HOW???
Everyone on this board knows I’m a hardcore TH7 fan. It’s not a new occurrence. I just know how to see value in totality, which he is valuable. So much to the extent where SP found ways to get him on the field, in whatever capacity. As for him “correcting” his fumbling issue....TH7 is the kind of guy that puts in the work to better his game.
Fumbles happens in games all of the time. Heck, there was a time when Drew was throwing pick 6s. Who cares? Turnovers happen.

Taysom will never come close to Winston because he already showed the world he is not a starting QB. He will either be a backup or jack of all trades until he retires. His small sample size was enough to show all teams he is better at other things not QB. Not one team offered him a starting QB salary and even we went a little more than he should have got. For his role as the jack of all trades, he earned that money, but as a starting QB, we all know he way underperformed in that role and turnovers were extremely high.
You are correct in that he didn't take care of the football, at least from the perspective of fumbles. And, yes.. that aspect is extremely concerning to the extent that its possible (or not possible, more specifically) to improve on this with offseason work and ball handling/carrying technique.

BUT...

"Already showed the world he is not a starting QB" is a good example of the broad-stroke criticism I referred to when I said what I said below (in reference to those who are blatantly dismissive of what Taysom Hill is now vs. what he could become) :

They (usually) don't take into account that Taysom will likely improve as a pocket passer, in time. Instead, it seems like some (not all, but a lot) were just waiting for his first loss -- so that they could pile on with the criticism and hope that everyone else accepts it as gospel that he's not cut out to be a QB. And while I'm not sold that he *is* cut out to be a QB, I think we saw enough at times (ie. the Falcons game) to consider developing his skillset even more. Going back to college, and even beyond that... he hasn't taken many snaps where he was allowed or expected to be a pocket passer, primarily -- and the Falcons game (as well as a handful of throws he made in every game except the one vs. the Broncos -- which we should all agree needs to not count in his pocket passing evaluation) suggests that it might be worth it to invest time in his improvement. He threw 3 TD passes, and at least two of them per my recollection were not exactly easy throws to make.

Simply put, a three game sample size is not enough to dismiss or qualify someone as a legitimate starting QB.

See: Ryan Fitzpatrick during any of his numerous "Fitzmagic" flare-ups as an example of why a three game hot streak should not used as a means to qualify a QB.

See: Josh Allen's first full three starts as a QB in the NFL (2 TD 4 INT), barely over 50% completion percentage (in fact, he started all but one game and he was just over 50% on the *entire season.

Meanwhile, Taysom hill goes 88 for 121 (72.7%) for 928, 8 total TDs, 2 INTs and 2 FMBL.. with the passing stats essentially being from three games only.

And we've seen enough to say he's not starting material? How could anyone dismiss anyone but the absolute worst of QBs after three games, much less someone who:

(a) Completed over 70% of his passes (most of which came during the second game vs ATL with a high degree of difficulty on a couple of those throws) and went 3-1 over his first four game stretch.

(b) Threw 3 TDs in one game, and the next game was knee-capped with a run-heavy, covid-friendly game plan and therefore unable to build off of the momentum of his excellent previous game thanks to the run-heavy covid gameplan vs. The Broncos.

(c) is more than willing to work as hard as needed and will do anything asked of him

Again, I'm not saying he is eventually going to end up a starting QB, or that I feel he is starting material. I just don't know how someone can say he's not, given everything I just went over.

You are correct in that he didn't take care of the football, at least from the perspective of fumbles. And, yes.. that aspect is extremely concerning to the extent that its possible (or not possible, more specifically) to improve on this with offseason work and ball handling/carrying technique.

BUT...

"Already showed the world he is not a starting QB" is a good example of the broad-stroke criticism I referred to when I said what I said below (in reference to those who are blatantly dismissive of what Taysom Hill is now vs. what he could become) :

Simply put, a three game sample size is not enough to dismiss or qualify someone as a legitimate starting QB.

See: Ryan Fitzpatrick during any of his numerous "Fitzmagic" flare-ups as an example of why a three game hot streak should not used as a means to qualify a QB.

See: Josh Allen's first full three starts as a QB in the NFL (2 TD 4 INT), barely over 50% completion percentage (in fact, he started all but one game and he was just over 50% on the *entire season.

Meanwhile, Taysom hill goes 88 for 121 (72.7%) for 928, 8 total TDs, 2 INTs and 2 FMBL.. with the passing stats essentially being from three games only.

And we've seen enough to say he's not starting material? How could anyone dismiss anyone but the absolute worst of QBs after three games, much less someone who:

(a) Completed over 70% of his passes (most of which came during the second game vs ATL with a high degree of difficulty on a couple of those throws) and went 3-1 over his first four game stretch.

(b) Threw 3 TDs in one game, and the next game was knee-capped with a run-heavy, covid-friendly game plan and therefore unable to build off of the momentum of his excellent previous game thanks to the run-heavy covid gameplan vs. The Broncos.

(c) is more than willing to work as hard as needed and will do anything asked of him

Again, I'm not saying he is eventually going to end up a starting QB, or that I feel he is starting material. I just don't know how someone can say he's not, given everything I just went over.

My opinion is age based and creature of habit. Had Hill still been in his early 20s, I'd have more hope for improvements, but it's hard to change your mechanics when you're asked to be at NFL speed in your 30s at a QB position. I like Taysom in his previous role. That is where he helps the team the most. Putting him in a starting QB role is setting him up to fail. You're also taking in my small sample size of comments about Hill to make it that I always waited for a loss. I've been talking about his fumbles well before he even started and before Drew got hurt. It's known that Taysom has a history of fumbles just like it's know Winston has a history of INTs. Can both improve? Maybe. Would you want a mid 20s that still has 15+ years maybe left in the tank or 30 something that maybe has less than 6 years left? I'm looking at longevity and what has more upside and the fact that Winston has a lot more experience at starting QB. He also ate a lot of humble pie by not getting the starting role.

If they draft a young QB and he has what it takes and we part ways with Winston, then that's the route I'm rooting for. It has nothing to do with Taysom getting a loss. I watch the game just like most. I'm just not afraid to call a spade a spade.

My opinion is age based and creature of habit. Had Hill still been in his early 20s, I'd have more hope for improvements, but it's hard to change your mechanics when you're asked to be at NFL speed in your 30s at a QB position. I like Taysom in his previous role. That is where he helps the team the most. Putting him in a starting QB role is setting him up to fail. You're also taking in my small sample size of comments about Hill to make it that I always waited for a loss. I've been talking about his fumbles well before he even started and before Drew got hurt. It's known that Taysom has a history of fumbles just like it's know Winston has a history of INTs. Can both improve? Maybe. Would you want a mid 20s that still has 15+ years maybe left in the tank or 30 something that maybe has less than 6 years left? I'm looking at longevity and what has more upside and the fact that Winston has a lot more experience at starting QB. He also ate a lot of humble pie by not getting the starting role.

If they draft a young QB and he has what it takes and we part ways with Winston, then that's the route I'm rooting for. It has nothing to do with Taysom getting a loss. I watch the game just like most. I'm just not afraid to call a spade a spade.
He practiced in a jack-of-all trades manner, before. The difference is that all of his practice reps would be at the QB position.. and the brain (the most used part of a QBs body, in addition to the arm) would get more reps at processing reads full time now, instead of just here and there. I could see your point if some of his limitations right now were physical.. But in spite of his late start, he's yet to put in enough volume to improve upon the part of his body that is most demanding for QBs: the noggin.

He will get better at reads and decision making. Few people get worse (Carson Wentz being the counter-point) over time at that specific trait. He will have to, because (to your point but in a different perspective) he's only got 2-3 more years in which he can be deployed effectively running the ball as a QB.

Taysom Hill’s “fumbles per touch” last season is the worst rate of any player in the history of the Saints. Make of it what you will.

Tiki Barber had a terrible fumbling problem with the Giants. Guess who helped him to fix it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom