fun with numbers, Pierre Thomas over the last 8 games (1 Viewer)

diat150

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
116 carries for 688 yards, 9 tds, and a 5.9 ypc rushing the ball.

24 catches for 244 yards, 3 tds and a 10.1 ypr catching the ball.

keep in mind he basically missed 1 half vs the bills this year and a half vs the lions last year.

he is on pace for over 1800 yards rushing/receiving in 16 games since he took a lead role in the offense and averages over a td per game. that is pretty amazing numbers.

Pierre is a special player. I'm glad he is finally getting his chance to shine. I think he is the most underrated player in the NFL and I hope he continues playing well for us for many years to come. I don't even put much stock in the numbers because everyone's carries differ game to game on this team (even tho the numbers are great too) but you can see his contributions every game, he shines with just about every carry and is very consistent carry to carry. I hope we continue to us him as the feature back and spell him with Mike Bell when he comes back. Let Reggie be Reggie, have a few run packages for him, motion him around to get some mis matches on LBers, and return his kicks.

I am always amazed that PT went undrafted too, he had a nice little career at Illinois, but the kicker to me is Rashard Mendenhall was riding the pine cause he could not beat out PT for the starter role. Mendenhall got the starter role for one year and ended up top 25 in the draft a year later, PT goes undrafted after clearly being the better player in college. Man the draft is fickle.

I guess teams get caught up in the measurables and overlook players sometimes. the cool thing is when a guy like PT can take that and play with a chip on his shoulder and prove everyone wrong. He signed with a team with 2 first round rbs, a rb they just drafted(and traded 2 picks for), and a established veteran back, and look where he stands now just 3 years later. He will be rewarded for his hard work after this season with a big contract. if not here somewhere else.

I guess teams get caught up in the measurables and overlook players sometimes. the cool thing is when a guy like PT can take that and play with a chip on his shoulder and prove everyone wrong. He signed with a team with 2 first round rbs, a rb they just drafted(and traded 2 picks for), and a established veteran back, and look where he stands now just 3 years later. He will be rewarded for his hard work after this season with a big contract. if not here somewhere else.

SP said exactly that in his Sirius show yesterday morning. He mentioned that Mendenhahl played behing Pierre until he was a senior and because Pierre's numbers didnt stack up at the combine he was an UDFA & Mendenhahl a 1st rounder. SP admitted that this proves there is no science to what they do. With all that said, we are very fortunate the coaches and the FO has the kahunas to cut a 4th rd pick & keep an UDFA.

Drew Brees mentioned on his WWL interview Monday morning that he is Pierre's biggest fan. With that said, PTs next contract will be in N.O., no doubt about it.

The guy is a stud. He reminds me of Priest Holmes.

Those are Ricky Williams numbers!

Having a healthy Pierre and Mike Bell is going to be special. I can't wait.

SP said exactly that in his Sirius show yesterday morning. He mentioned that Mendenhahl played behing Pierre until he was a senior and because Pierre's numbers didnt stack up at the combine he was an UDFA & Mendenhahl a 1st rounder. SP admitted that this proves there is no science to what they do. With all that said, we are very fortunate the coaches and the FO has the kahunas to cut a 4th rd pick & keep an UDFA.

Drew Brees mentioned on his WWL interview Monday morning that he is Pierre's biggest fan. With that said, PTs next contract will be in N.O., no doubt about it.

yep

and i hope so.

I am one of the biggest PT fans. I approve this thread.

Last edited:
PT is our guy, happy to have him on the team, love the way this guys runs, he is smaller than Bell but is harder to bring down, his legs keep churning, he is quick and nimble and has solid hands...perfect guy to be the lead back when it comes to running the ball.

. . . he is on pace for over 1800 yards rushing/receiving in 16 games since he took a lead role in the offense and averages over a td per game. that is pretty amazing numbers.

I'm pretty sure he missed more than that. Wasn't he kept on the bench with a bruised or sprained knee for the entirety of the first two games with the exception of one play against the Eagles along with a little special teams duty that game as well?

I think Pierre's numbers are more impressive than presented here.

And stats junkies like me love the number crunching diat. Thanks! :1book:

I've been in Pierre's camp since his first preseason game. I could see the talent, and knew what he was capable of. All the time he spent on the bench had to be frustrating, because it frustrated me.

Having said that, his talent was raw. He has come a long way. He used to run upright, got stood up and pounded, and they tried to strip the ball. Many of his runs were finished with him standing up, and 3-4 players draped over him. Payton worked with him patiently. Now he runs low, and finishes his runs stretched out on the ground. That will serve Pierre's productivity and health a lot better.

. . . I am always amazed that PT went undrafted too, he had a nice little career at Illinois, but the kicker to me is Rashard Mendenhall was riding the pine cause he could not beat out PT for the starter role. Mendenhall got the starter role for one year and ended up top 25 in the draft a year later, PT goes undrafted after clearly being the better player in college. Man the draft is fickle.

You and me both SuperQuincy. Pierre seems to have been treated as an undersized overachieving small college player, which is exceptionally surprising since Illinois plays the big boys.

I think one of the things that caused him to slip under the radar is that the stat that was most frequently cited about him coming out of college was his kickoff return yardage. Didn't he set a record at Illinois for kickoff returns? I don't remember the particulars. Anyone else perhaps?

It really is a joy watching him run through and over opposing defenses, and the humilty in which he does it. Very business-like. :17:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom