funeral firsts (1 Viewer)

soupcan dan

just the salad please
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been attending wakes and funeral services for as long as i can remember. mainly stodgy, boring funeral home affairs with hushed whispers, kleenex boxes everywhere and perhaps a 30 minute rosary bead clicking affair before everyone files out and loosens their tie. I've also been to a few with tailgate parties set up in the parking lot, and a required shot of bushmill's to gain entry.
Last night's visitation for a retired county sheriff and a valued customer of mine stood out for three reasons:

1) i've never seen both halves of the casket open----normally you only get a 'waist up' view of the deceased. i gotta admit--he was dressed to the nines and the gold shoes and $50 socks were eye-popping, but it looked as though his 6 foot body was stuffed into a 5'9" casket. he kinda layed diagonally with one foot up and the other bent to the side.

2) A live band? Drums, organ, bass player and Aretha's cousin Gwendalyn humming mournfully.

3) The hearse and stretch limo were parked diagonally at the main entrance of the church--spread out over 6 parking places with a tasteful sign placed alongside the limo informing you that it may be hired for any occasion------'please take a card'

i went home, grabbed a beer and kicked my feet up on the coffee table---thinking i sure could use some new socks.

I'll admit it's Monday morning and I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee, but first time I read subject line I thought it said "funeral farts".

And yet I clicked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom