Funny memes (16 Viewers)

Speaking of cupholders, some design genius thought that one of the cupholders should be square in my husband's Toyota truck. Am I missing something???
Perhaps?????????????????????

fries.jpeg

So the wife and I grab Starbucks for a drive across the Causeway and I put my coffee cup and hers in the console cup holders as I get in. (Note: it’s a two cup holder, aligned vertically along the length of the car. I describe it that way for reasons that will become self-evident in this story.)

She gets in and asks, “Which one is yours?”. I say, “The one in the back” because, well, IT’S THE ONE IN THE BACK. She says, “Which one is that?”. Loooong pause as I grapple with the best way to answer without starting an argument.

Of course, after over 34+ years together, I know the right answer is to simply point, but the devil on my shoulder convinces me “fork it” so I slowly deadpan “The one in the back”. Verbal ping-pong proceeds for a few volleys, after which it becomes clear that her argument is based on the principle that, from her passenger seat pov, it’s left or right, not front or back.…yeah, I know, but yeah, really. Again, after 34 years, I know the look when she knows that she’s beaten, but she ain’t givin‘ in. Maybe a good thing though, as the meme above suggests, because if she concedes immediately I’d likely drive off into the Lake in shock.

Of course, I take the unassailable “objective versus subjective“ high ground, forcing a concession from her that, yes, the front of the car is, in all cases, the front of the car, and that the back of the car is, in all cases, the back of the car — but she still obstinately insists that does not apply to the similarly aligned cup holders. So, finally, I decide to take the verbal off ramp, with a parting crack about how this objective vs. subjective argument is an apt metaphor for our marriage.

Now, the great thing about having such a long marriage is that we drop things within minutes, and so we’re back to chatting about this or that after 45 seconds of weighty silence. But I do so relish with great anticipation that future opening when I can break out a comment along the lines of “Oh, you mean like how the back cup holder might actually be the front?”

I mean, I’m a pretty good husband but let’s be real — I am also a Saints fan…so a heavy dose of petty is prerequisite, right?
hah. somehow, i'm impressed by your persistence.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom