Future Dark Years (1 Viewer)

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm seeing more and more talk about the future down years that seem inevitable given our cap situation. A lot of people are concerned that the front office is mortgaging our future in order to win now. It seems like SP and Loomis are shooting for the moon and trying to win now , future consequences be damned. Well, I for one could not be happier with this approach.

The way I see it the post Drew Brees era is bound to be a down period regardless of the looming cap hell. Just think about how long it took for us to find a great QB. God only knows how long it will take to find another great or even good QB after Drew is gone. Dan Marino has been gone since 1999 and the Dolphins still don't have a QB. The poor old Bills have been looking for a QB since Jim Kelly left in 1996.

Drew Brees is the best QB we will ever have so the time is now. If we go all in the next few years and come up short then so be it, at least we tried. If we have a few 3 win seasons in the post Brees era...so what? It's not like we haven't been there before. I will gladly take a few dark years for a few more years of Super Bowl contention.

So Loomis please keep making it happen. Spend every red cent you can find to build a championship team. Do whatever you have to do in order to provide that feeling we last felt on February 7, 2010. If things get bad on down the road then I'll take comfort in the fact that we took our shot when we had the chance.

If you have a future HOF QB, you do whatever it takes to win now. Period. You don't worry about 4-5 years from now, you have to go for it.

I'm seeing more and more talk about the future down years that seem inevitable given our cap situation. A lot of people are concerned that the front office is mortgaging our future in order to win now. It seems like SP and Loomis are shooting for the moon and trying to win now , future consequences be damned. Well, I for one could not be happier with this approach.

The way I see it the post Drew Brees era is bound to be a down period regardless of the looming cap hell. Just think about how long it took for us to find a great QB. God only knows how long it will take to find another great or even good QB after Drew is gone. Dan Marino has been gone since 1999 and the Dolphins still don't have a QB. The poor old Bills have been looking for a QB since Jim Kelly left in 1996.

Drew Brees is the best QB we will ever have so the time is now. If we go all in the next few years and come up short then so be it, at least we tried. If we have a few 3 win seasons in the post Brees era...so what? It's not like we haven't been there before. I will gladly take a few dark years for a few more years of Super Bowl contention.

So Loomis please keep making it happen. Spend every red cent you can find to build a championship team. Do whatever you have to do in order to provide that feeling we last felt on February 7, 2010. If things get bad on down the road then I'll take comfort in the fact that we took our shot when we had the chance.

That's a well thought out analysis. I tend to see it differently. I don't think Loomis is mortgaging the future. In fact, I think they are building now for beyond Brees. SPs ego will demand to show the world his greatness is beyond any one player. Think about when Brees, Evans, Grubbs and Colston are no longer on the books. That's $50 million or nearly 40% of this year's total cap freed-up. That's a lot of money to build another SB team especially with the young defense we have. It's not beyond paying $25 million per year for Rodgers after his contract expires. Or with SPs genius, he may want to go with a mobile QB. By "Mobile QB," I don't mean Brees running for his life like he did last year :mwink:

With future salary cap increases and possible trades and other factors, whose to tell what situation we will be in in 4-5 years. What if Griffin turns out to be every bit of outstanding or we get a young college guy everyone else slept on like Tom Brady. You just don't know. At the end of the 2008 season I couldn't dream that we would field a superbowl roster the next year. so................................. lets just see what happens.

This is all true, except we are NOT hurting ourselves for the future anyway. We are working a win/win.

Loomis said it himself point blank. The cap is always rising, even more so with the new deal next (cap should increase another $10m again). Teams will have to reach a minimum % of that cap money which means a lot more crappy players are gonna need to be paid more. Loomis, thinking ahead, is back-loading contracts so we will fill our % quota with talented players rather than having to be a lot of money to bad ones...

The man said it himself. Why its even a discussion point is beyond me. Great deal in FA so far. Loomis knows whats going on.

GEAUX SAINTS

The Drew Brees window is open and we're "All In" to win now. That is what I would want the Saints to do. As long as we have Brees, we're all in!

We'll worry about that credit card bill later!

How many players actually play out their contracts and get all their money these days? The whole salary cap thing is a joke, there are so many loopholes - soft cap, hard cap, and no one even knows what the cap is actually going to be from year to year.

Personally, I couldn't care less how much the Saints spend or how they structure the contracts, that's Mickey Loomis' job. As a fan, I want a competitive team with the best players available that are paid in such a way that the team won't get in trouble with the league causing someone to get suspended.

Broncos are following the same philosophy albeit with a better cap situation. For them the window is even smaller.

I think we are under estimating LOOMIS' ability to put us in contention every year.... Our scouts and Payton/LOOMIS combo will continue to make this franchise awesome.

While it may suck when Drew is eventually gone, but we're not loading up on future cap hits.

With Byrd's contract figured it, we have at least 15M in cap space if there was 0 change in the cap. Otherwise, it can easily be 22M.

that's with Drew's crazy 2015 cap figure, that we all know will be re-worked then.

So, change Jimmy to a long term deal, and his cap hit probably would only be 8-10M next year, so that's still 5-7M in cap space (assuming a cap of 133M again).

Figure in that at least one player will be cut, and we'll fix a few cap situations, AND the cap will go up another 5-10M... we're probably sitting at 15M in cap space at a minimum next year.

I have nothing against adding immediate key pieces in free agency while building for the future in the draft.

Mortgaging the future would be Trading 6 picks for Julio Jones and Ricky Williams or throwing away a draft pick for a linebacker like Barrett Ruud who is only on the team for two weeks or a veteran like Jason David who only lasts one year. But even trading future picks for a young player like Vilma was a good move if that player sticks with the team 3-5 years during a Super bowl run, considering teams only average 3-4 good years out of a rookie anyway if the rookie is successful.

I just don't think that 1st rounders and draft picks necessarily have to be expected to be starters like free agents. The key pieces to the 2009 SB run were mainly Free agents like Brees, Sharper, Mike Bell, Greer, Hargrove, And McCray, or Vets who were traded for like Vilma, Shockey, Fujita, and Shanle.

The biggest rookie Impact made by a 1st rounder under Payton was Bush and he wasn't even a full-time starter. I think the Saints have the luxury of developing talent with all of their draft picks with almost zero-to-modest contributions in their first year.

I also don't think that the saints necessarily have to slip back to losing. Teams have drafted and groomed replacement qbs early to prepare for the retirement of their franchise qb so I'm not ready to automatically concede a Dark period after Brees.

m5_LLBmW97owDWi1248otqA.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom