"Future is Now for Saints"- Mike D's column (1 Viewer)

I hope that with our fron office and their knack for finding talent, our window can remain opened up a little longer.

"Saints need to concentrate on upgrading every defensive position"

Could not agree more. Every position on defense could use a upgrade! Still don't understand people against upgrades at any position on defense.

I disagree Bree's has longer. And short term fa isn't the answer you have to drAft well

"Saints need to concentrate on upgrading every defensive position"

Could not agree more. Every position on defense could use a upgrade! Still don't understand people against upgrades at any position on defense.

I think many would love upgrades. It's more like some folks are realistic enough to know that needing it or wanting it are a far cry from actually getting it accomplished. With the cap as it is, even if Tom told ML to buy him a championship defense, he couldn't simply force it to happen.

As Mike himself pointed out, we have our own free agents that need to be re-signed. After that, where is the money to upgrade all those positions? Are we depending on the draft for that? If so, that goes against the premise of "The future is Now" unless rookies are going to be the upgrades. That's a rarity.

It's how you get from "this is who we have and this who we'd like to upgrade him with" that's the concern for many. The devil is always in the details.:9:

As Mike himself pointed out, we have our own free agents that need to be re-signed. After that, where is the money to upgrade all those positions?

First place to get the money would be cutting or reducing the pay of over priced under performing vets that are eating up our cap space.
More to my point was about the draft and also FA's. Many on here are quick to jump on the we have so and so in that position why do we need Joe Blow? That is how teams that loose think. When you can get a playmaker and upgrade a position winning teams do it. Regardless of who they have on the roster! No one on our defense is even a second thought for offensive coordinators around the league.

[mod edited: referenced deleted post]
Your right the saints winning percentage is high, because they do bring in named free agents every year. Right or wrong they do try to upgrade the team. But do you really think it's our defense that has created that winning percentage, or maybe the best offense in the league??? Or maybe a QB that has thrown for over 5000 yds in three of the last four years? Dont you think our winning precenage would be higher if we had even a middle of the pack defense? Not even top tier. My point was there should be no position on our defense that should be untouchable. We can use upgrades at every position. Everyone knows you can not upgrade all at the same time! But to say you would not take a upgrade at any position regardless of who we have is a narrow minded approach!

First off what does that have to do about what I am talking about? Your right the saints winning percentage is high, because they do bring in named free agents every year. Right or wrong they do try to upgrade the team. But do you really think it's our defense that has created that winning percentage, or maybe the best offense in the league??? Or maybe a QB that has thrown for over 5000 yds in three of the last four years? Dont you think our winning precenage would be higher if we had even a middle of the pack defense? Not even top tier. My point was there should be no position on our defense that should be untouchable. We can use upgrades at every position. Everyone knows you can not upgrade all at the same time! But to say you would not take a upgrade at any position regardless of who we have is a narrow minded approach! What would you like a link to???

People on this board are too reactionary. Our defense HAS been middle of the pack, even good, for the last few years. Last season was an outlier. Defenses fluctuate greatly between seasons, even without major personnel changes. Of course it is possible to upgrade every position, literally every team could say that. Hell, we could upgrade our QB position and get Tom Brady in here! The point is that sometimes thinking smaller and only adding select guys can completely turnaround a team. Think about what Sharper did for our defense in 2009.

We have some good players on Defense. Not saying we have great difference makers there but some good players. I will not go into who is good and who needs to be cut either but the coaching staff working with Loomis know who these guys are. To say we NEED an upgrade at every position is an over statement. I would be very happy with 5 more defensive players.
2 on D-line, 1 LB, 2 DBs.
The D-Line is hard to predict what is needed. Will Hicks rotate with Bunkley at NT or will he play DE? If he is a NT then will Johnson and Walker be the backups? If Hicks plays DE then we need another NT.
If Hicks plays NT then a DE is needed. Since they don'y come cheap I would think this is our pick at 15. A good NT can be had in later rounds.
Get rid of all the 4-3 DEs. Cut them now unless they can play LB.
LB we have Junior and Tez going back to LB. Lofton and Hawthorn are solid.
Would love to see them bring in a vet that doesn't have to much mileage. Restructure or cut other LBs
Our backfield needs a ton of help. Put Jenkins back to NB, get a vet free safety, a vet corner. Draft a corner.
5 new players through FA and draft is not that bad. It takes them worse to middle of the pack and most of us would be happy.

People on this board are too reactionary. Our defense HAS been middle of the pack, even good

As per ESPN defensive ranks- TYA
2012-32nd
2011-24th
2010-4th
2009-25th
2008-23rd
2007-26th

People on this board are too reactionary. Our defense HAS been middle of the pack, even good

As per ESPN defensive ranks- TYA
2012-32nd
2011-24th
2010-4th
2009-25th
2008-23rd
2007-26th

And if you go of of points allowed, we were 31st in 2012, 13th in 2011, 7th in 2010, 20th in 2009.

Vilma is our best cover lb and he is getting old and may not be with us, we need a Lb, hopefully a OLB that can cover a TE, we also need a slot CB or a Safety that can really cover a slot wr

Ignoring the grammar, why would Detillier see Glenn Dorsey as a possible fit for us? It seems he is better suited for a 3-Tech DT in a 4-3 rather than any position on a 3-4 line. Maybe he meant Dorsey's former team mate Ricky Jean-Francois who has played bother NT and DE well in S.F.'s 3-4? He would make a lot more sense than Dorsey who has apparently struggled in K.C.'s 3-4.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom