Future Saints Training Camps (1 Viewer)

ST. Michaelfan

BRING THE WOOD!
Reaction score
I have been to a few of the Saints training camps and have had a blast. Two in Thibodaux and one in Jackson. I do plan on going back this year.

I saw that it was an economic boost for the host city and schools and it got me to thinking.

Would it be possible to put the hosting of the Saints Training Camps up for bids? Something like the hosting of Super Bowls are up for bid. Have Louisiana and Mississippi city's and universities bid on hosting T/C. The Saints organization would need to set the requirements for hosting training camp. The States, city's, and universities could bring together local businesses to sponsors the training camps. The host State/city's would get the economic boost and the universities football program and dorm facility's would get improvements. The Saints would get to spent time with the fans through out the Gulf Coast area.

Do you think that this would work?

The only good thing about living in Jackson is Training Camp. I hope they stay, at least until I am able to move back to LA.

I have been to a few of the Saints training camps and have had a blast. Two in Thibodaux and one in Jackson. I do plan on going back this year.

I saw that it was an economic boost for the host city and schools and it got me to thinking.

Would it be possible to put the hosting of the Saints Training Camps up for bids? Something like the hosting of Super Bowls are up for bid. Have Louisiana and Mississippi city's and universities bid on hosting T/C. The Saints organization would need to set the requirements for hosting training camp. The States, city's, and universities could bring together local businesses to sponsors the training camps. The host State/city's would get the economic boost and the universities football program and dorm facility's would get improvements. The Saints would get to spent time with the fans through out the Gulf Coast area.

Do you think that this would work?

I think the biggest problem you would have is the field conditions at the locations. The Saints have had to drop money at both locations before they felt comfortable returning for a second year. I think that more than anything is the reason we had training camp at our facility for the end of the Haslett era.

I had never been to Jackson and would never had gone if not for TC. The burgers and fries at Cool Al's were real good!

I think the biggest problem you would have is the field conditions at the locations. The Saints have had to drop money at both locations before they felt comfortable returning for a second year. I think that more than anything is the reason we had training camp at our facility for the end of the Haslett era.

That is true, but this could work out as part of the upcoming negotiations to keep the Saints in New Orleans for the long term. The experiences of training camp and the improvements would be covered by the State and the Saints and school would both benefit.

What if San Antonio won the bid every year? Benson did finance the football facilities for a small college over there.

Maybe they should be held somewhere without the brutal heat ........ yeah it's supposed to make everyone tough but we saw what happened the first four games.

I think they should either move it to a more northerly clime or bring it back to Louisiana. Enough with this "let's let Mississippi have some Saints stuff"! The Saints are Louisiana's team, and Louisiana should get the benefits. I hate this semi-closed Jackson schedule. I loved the night practices at Thibodaux.

I think they should either move it to a more northerly clime or bring it back to Louisiana. Enough with this "let's let Mississippi have some Saints stuff"! The Saints are Louisiana's team, and Louisiana should get the benefits. I hate this semi-closed Jackson schedule. I loved the night practices at Thibodaux.

They may be Louisiana's team, but without the entire Gulfcoast fanbase, they probably wouldn't be for long.

I have some mixed feelings on this situation. Like Deacon Blues mentioned, the Saints do have a lot of support from the whole Gulf Coast area,but to imply that we need to move the training camp OUT of LA, I don't think, is entirely true.

I went to the training camp in Jackson for 06', but we did not go last year. I would really like to see them have it at Nothwestern State. I think we desperately need to bring some solidity to fan support in north LA, and I think that would help a LOT. NSU is a prime location in terms of it's proximity to major LA cities like Alexandria and Shreveport. It's not THAT far from BR, and it's probaly pretty close in time/distance when compared to Jackson. Not as many fans from NO would go, but then again, they have 10 games to check out.

Fot the record, when we did go to Jackson, we had a lot of fun and the area was very clean, and the school setup was pretty cool too. If nothing else, I definately agree with having training camp SOMEWHERE other than New Oreleans.

This always seems to come up......yes it's the New Orleans Saints, very true but Deacon Blues is very right. Without the support of MS, AL, FL and yes even TX fans the SuperDome would not have been sold out the past two years. I don't care where TC is for the record, as long as they win during the regular season and playoffs

I'm originally from New Orleans but grew up in Bay St. Louis, MS and went to every game growing up. We made the 45 minute drive each Sunday for the games, and guess what there are thousands of MS residents that do the same; along with people from AL, and Western Florida and even people here in Houston TX before hurricane Katrina.

My wife and I have been in Houston, TX since 2000 and make as many games each year that we can, but the largest out of state fan base is MS. I have no problem that TC was in Jackson....it is sure as heck closer than Lacrosse Wisconsin!! How many of us drove up there for TC? Some folks on here seem to think once you leave LA you can't be a Saints fan.

I like the idea and as far as field issues, I don't think it would be as big of an issue at the Major colleges because they have much bigger budgets for that than Millsaps. MSU, Ole Miss, and USM have great fields to practice on not sure about UL Monroe, UL Lafayette, La Tech fields but those could be host cities as well. Going around to the MS and LA cities and throw in South AL wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited:
when is training camp this year? i wanna go so im going to use some vacation time from work and go on a thursday and come back on a sunday.

I went to the training camp in Jackson for 06', but we did not go last year.

The year you went to training camp and I didn't go the Saints were 10-6, the year I went and you didn't go the Saints were 7-9. Where ever they have camp this year I promise I want go if you promise you will!!!

Seriously? One of the best moves the Saints FO came up with is to put TC in Mississippi. That can only spread the Saints fan base and bring in more $$ enabling the Saints to stay in New Orleans. In addition, a large number of season ticket holders are Mississippians and the Saints are Mississippi's home team as well - just look at the number of Mississippians on this board. Venturing future TCs into North Mississippi and even Alabama would continue to broaden the fan base and bring in more $$ for the Saints.

For the record, I spend a lot of time in New Orleans and in Mississippi and could care less where training camp is held although it is hard to argue against broadening a team's fan base, especially when holding those camps in other places will help enable the team to stay in N.O. .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom