G.O.A.T. Nah. (1 Viewer)

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Listening to the sports programs this morning and I keep hearing about who's the greatest QB of all time. Everyone who is talked about is a QB who played after the rules were changed to favor the passing game. Montana, Brady etc. And those guys were/are great.

But how can you judge especially if you're too young to have seen some of the old timers play? Who knows what guys like Unitas, Starr, Otto Graham, Jurgensen, Sammy Baugh or Tarkenton would have been able to do in today's NFL. I know it's fun to talk about who's greatest at any given position but in the end it's silly.

Listening to the sports programs this morning and I keep hearing about who's the greatest QB of all time. Everyone who is talked about is a QB who played after the rules were changed to favor the passing game. Montana, Brady etc. And those guys were/are great.

But how can you judge especially if you're too young to have seen some of the old timers play? Who knows what guys like Unitas, Starr, Otto Graham, Jurgensen, Sammy Baugh or Tarkenton would have been able to do in today's NFL. I know it's fun to talk about who's greatest at any given position but in the end it's silly.

Mostly agreed. In the end, it's about ratings and clicks. Oh, and ad dollars. :p

Rewatched some of the NFLN's "Top 10" list shows on YT during the height of the lockdown period and was reminded how lists are put together just to generate conversation. Not so much for making sense. Here was their list for the best QB's of the 1970s: 1. Staubach 2. Tarkenton 3. Bradshaw

Now, students of history will eat that one up, in terms of the order!

On their best of the '80s, Montana was a consensus No. 1 but somehow Phil Simms made the list as well. In the '90s, Aikman seemed to be the "default" no. 1, ahead of Steve Young, but somehow Jeff George made the list.

It's a fair debate. One I enjoy having myself. What's silly to me is folks thinking guys who played 50 years ago would be better than the guys that play today. The game has changed so much and the athletes are amazing.

9 Super Bowl appearances and a record of 6-3 is not to shabby for what I've seen in my era.

It's a fair debate. One I enjoy having myself. What's silly to me is folks thinking guys who played 50 years ago would be better than the guys that play today. The game has changed so much and the athletes are amazing.
Modern athletes are not necessarily better than the ones who came before. They just benefit from better training and diet. And QB doesn't require speed and strength as much as other positions. Unitas and Starr would have thrived.

I understand the point about the game changing, but with that aside....

If only the NFL would keep records on statistics that are important to the quarterback position. I think taking a look at those records would be VERY helpful in objectively determining who is the greatest of all time.

I understand the point about the game changing, but with that aside....

If only the NFL would keep records on statistics that are important to the quarterback position. I think taking a look at those records would be VERY helpful in objectively determining who is the greatest of all time.
There IS no GOAT.

As a tennis player, I see your point. The game has changed so much. In tennis even more so, the equipment is so different then it was 30-40 years ago. John McEnroe, even in his prime, probably would struggle to win 1 game vs Rafael Nadal. However, it’s not really fair to compare eras. But, we do it to keep people entertained!

When you're having a discussion regarding the GOAT in any position on a team, I find that individual stats means a lot more than team stats. But since football is a team sport, the quality of the team certainly has a lot to do with how good an individual player's stats may be.

Also, the game has changed so much that it's hard to compare the stat lines of many positions simply because the tendencies of how the game was played from the past until now is so different. Drew Brees would probably have few of his passing records if he played QB during the Jim Brown or Larry Csonka eras. And he certainly wouldn't have them without a 'pass-first philosophy' head coach like Sean Payton. With that said...

Drew Brees is still the GOAT! :very-happy:

Today's NFL players train the entire year, with specialty coaches and nutritionists. Most have been specializing in the sport since they were kids. Back in the day, those guys were drinking beers at halftime and most sold insurance during the offseason. It amazes me just watching Bobby Hebert era games how slow everyone looked compared to now.

9 Super Bowl appearances and a record of 6-3 is not to shabby for what I've seen in my era.
There was a graphic somewhere yesterday that the presumptive goat was 80% win in division games. So when a pro team plays 6 games a year against the SEC East every year it is quite a advantage. Think about LSU having Their warm up games to work out any kinks before lining up against Alabama. Now think about the Saints and the true GOAT lining up against Alabama in Week 1 and Georgia in week 2. Flip those scenarios around and the true GOAT has the same outcome

Today's NFL players train the entire year, with specialty coaches and nutritionists. Most have been specializing in the sport since they were kids. Back in the day, those guys were drinking beers at halftime and most sold insurance during the offseason. It amazes me just watching Bobby Hebert era games how slow everyone looked compared to now.

Mostly agreed. But you have to remember, Hebert had much better receivers in the USFL and in college than he did with the Saints. With the possible exception of Wes Chandler, our receivers looked slow for decades until the Joe Horn/Willie Jackson/Donte Stallworth era.

Modern athletes are not necessarily better than the ones who came before. They just benefit from better training and diet. And QB doesn't require speed and strength as much as other positions. Unitas and Starr would have thrived.
I disagree. They didn't have to play with guys as fast and big as they are now. It's not debatable that athletes are faster and stronger than before.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom