Gaiman's American Gods finally coming to tv (1 Viewer)

Renewed for Season 2!

‘American Gods’ Renewed for Season 2 at Starz | TVLine

I'm waiting to binge it so I probably won't revisit this thread until season 1 has aired all episodes. As I understand it, season 1 was written and shot to cover roughly the first 3rd of the book. Based on which episode some characters show up in, they are obviously shifting later parts of the book to occur earlier. I've also read somewhere that Gaiman is considering writing a 'continuation' novel - didn't want to use the word 'sequel' so they can use the material for later seasons (if they happen) for the show.

I found the ending to be a little bit of a letdown, but overall it is a wonderful book.

Maybe this is getting too much into what is coming, but just from my perception of that opening sequence, the Gods were already there (or here, as it were).

They arrive with whatever immigrants/explorers/slaves/indentured servants that come here and pray to their gods. BELIEF equals power for gods. Once prayed to here, the gods are then tethered here.Terry Pratchett told it well with Small Gods and it's skewering of the Inquisition. The Great God Om had lost almost all belief and was relegated to a one-eyed tortoise with one believer. Not coincidentally, Pratchett and Gaiman were close friends and sounding boards so to speak for each other.

Ok, sorry to sear this into your brains, but after that weird sex scene, what to you think happened to the Salesman? Did he become the Jinn?

They showed the fire in the jinn going into the salesman. I think that's what happened

I'm pretty sure they salesman and the taxi driver switched places. We saw the genie in episode 2 (or 1?) talking to Wednesday in the cafe and he was dressed in a suit. So the whole sex scene presumably took place before the current timeline.

Ok, sorry to sear this into your brains, but after that weird sex scene, what to you think happened to the Salesman? Did he become the Jinn?

I interpreted it to mean that the Jinn did in fact grant the salesman a wish. The salesman was unhappy with his life, job, brother-in-law and wanted to be free of it all.

When I read the book I thought that he had transferred his power, especially given the Jinn's feelings about being in America. But after watching the episode I've changed my mind as evidenced by the salesman's smile while walking to the cab and lack of fire eyes.

I interpreted it to mean that the Jinn did in fact grant the salesman a wish. The salesman was unhappy with his life, job, brother-in-law and wanted to be free of it all.

When I read the book I thought that he had transferred his power, especially given the Jinn's feelings about being in America. But after watching the episode I've changed my mind as evidenced by the salesman's smile while walking to the cab and lack of fire eyes.

I think I agree.:scratch:

And to get to clean **** from the backseat?

But that does seem like a pretty plausible explanation.

Great show, laughed my *** off when Jesus' glass sank after he finished his drink...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom