Galaxy S III 16 GB....or DROID RAZR by Motorola (1 Viewer)

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I've been offered to upgrade my phone with one of the these 2 smartphones. Which is a better phone? They offered me the DROID RAZR free, but they want $199 for the Galaxy S III. Is it worth the extra money?

OK guys...I don't know much about smartphones, so make your case for either one....

Thx...

I've been offered to upgrade my phone with one of the these 2 smartphones. Which is a better phone? They offered me the DROID RAZR free, but they want $199 for the Galaxy S III. Is it worth the extra money?

OK guys...I don't know much about smartphones, so make your case for either one....

Thx...

Is it the RAZR HD? If so they more or less have the same hardware. The RAZR offers better battery life, especially if you can swing the Maxx. A RAZR for free isn't a bad idea and it gets you very solidly into today's performance range. If I were paying for a phone, I'd hold out for the s4 or a new HTC variant, or even the next Motorola or nexus. All of those should be around in the next few months.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Fwiw, I've really enjoyed my HD Maxx. I have, however, replaced the stock launcher with an apex variant. The stock launcher tends to slow things down every so often, mostly due to the big clock and weather widget.

Is it the RAZR HD? If so they more or less have the same hardware. The RAZR offers better battery life, especially if you can swing the Maxx. A RAZR for free isn't a bad idea and it gets you very solidly into today's performance range. If I were paying for a phone, I'd hold out for the s4 or a new HTC variant, or even the next Motorola or nexus. All of those should be around in the next few months.

Thx Brennan...I appreciate the feedback. But I admit...I don't know squat about "swinging the Maxx"??? LOL!

But I'm looking at the price range.....the RAZR is listed at $549...the Galaxy S III is listed at $599.....but I can't tell if the RAZR is HD....Verizon is making this offer, and I'm looking at the options, especially, if the new ones, like the S4 are but a few months away...

It will be called the RAZR HD. The razr HD maxx is the same phone but has a larger battery built in as well as more storage. I can't imagine that Verizon would still be offering one of the old ones but it would be good to assure it is the newer HD model. It has the same processor, screen size, resolution and android version as the s3 but a larger battery. If it is free it is certainly a better option than paying $200 for the s3.

I have a GS3 and I like it and the battery life to me is really good. Sorry for not helping

It will be called the RAZR HD. The razr HD maxx is the same phone but has a larger battery built in as well as more storage. I can't imagine that Verizon would still be offering one of the old ones but it would be good to assure it is the newer HD model. It has the same processor, screen size, resolution and android version as the s3 but a larger battery. If it is free it is certainly a better option than paying $200 for the s3.

This is what they say about it...

"The exclusive Droid Razr M by Motorola is perfect for traveling. Its compact design features a 4.3–inch display that spans edge to edge, making this smartphone easily portable. If you're headed abroad, get coverage in more than 205 countries. When time is of the essence, see weather, battery life and more at a glance."

I assume the letter M stands for Maxx.....

This is what they say about it...

"The exclusive Droid Razr M by Motorola is perfect for traveling. Its compact design features a 4.3–inch display.

4.3 inch vs 4.8 inch screen would be the biggest factor in my book..
I have the SIII and I wouldn't ever go back down 2 phone sizes. Started with the Captivate (4.3 in) then the Infuse (4.5 in) and now the SIII with the 4.8 in screen.
believe me, size does matter.. but it helps that the battery is pretty good also..

Maybe this will help.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/co...msung-Galaxy-S-III-AT-T/phones/7346,6996,7131

4.3 inch vs 4.8 inch screen would be the biggest factor in my book..
I have the SIII and I wouldn't ever go back down 2 phone sizes. Started with the Captivate (4.3 in) then the Infuse (4.5 in) and now the SIII with the 4.8 in screen.
believe me, size does matter.. but it helps that the battery is pretty good also..

Maybe this will help.

Motorola DROID RAZR M vs Motorola DROID RAZR HD in Smartphones

Motorola DROID RAZR M vs Samsung Galaxy S III - Phone specs comparison

Oh yeah....so there is a good reason why they ask for $199 extra for the SIII, compared to the smaller RAZR M.

Of course size matters.....especially if your eyes are a bit out of whack.....like mine are.

4.3 vs 4.8 is quite different. As I'm going through the specs

I heard that the camera might not be the best quality....but here's the comparrison between the 2 phones:

S III

Camera:

8.0MP rear facing camera with zero shutter lag and LED Flash, 1.9 MP front facing camera
Camcorder: 1080p HD video capture (rear camera), 720p HD Video Capture (front facing camera)

Video:

Video

HD video, 720p HD on–device viewing
DivX, H.263, H.264, MPEG4, VP8
Video Player

RAZR M:

Camera

8.0MP camera with launch from lock screen
Front Facing HD Camera (0.3 MP, 720p HD video recording)
Image formats: BMP, GIF, JPEG, Progressive JPEG, PNG, WEBP

Video:

1080p HD Video capture
Video Playback Formats: MPEG4, H.263, H.264, VC–1, VP8, WMV

Actually the RAZR M video is a better quality than the S III....but the S III has indeed a better quality camera.

I changed the link, the original one had the specs for the s3 i9300 which is the international model, the i747 is the US model (for At&t anyway). There are a few differences, one is the US version doesn't have a radio, and there is a difference in the processor..

I changed the link, the original one had the specs for the s3 i9300 which is the international model, the i747 is the US model (for At&t anyway). There are a few differences, one is the US version doesn't have a radio, and there is a difference in the processor..

Thanks for the links....but there is a big difference in the RAZR M & the RAZR maxx....the RAZR maxx is pretty close to the S III....

But the Galaxy S4 comes out this month, if the release date stands....so I'm a lot more inclined to see if the latest Galaxy smartphone is worth waiting for. I think it is.....

Thx...
Why would you even consider paying Verizon $199 for an S3 when Sam's and Costco are selling the S3 for $49 if you're willing to sign a two-year contract (new, extend, or renew)? :scratch:

I have a GS3 and I like it and the battery life to me is really good. Sorry for not helping

Ditto!

I was very surprised by the battery life. It lasts all day, and I stream Spotify and Google Music during the day off and on. I'll get home around 6pm and still have about 30%+ battery life on the phone which will last me through the evening.

Thanks for the links....but there is a big difference in the RAZR M & the RAZR maxx....the RAZR maxx is pretty close to the S III....

But the Galaxy S4 comes out this month, if the release date stands....so I'm a lot more inclined to see if the latest Galaxy smartphone is worth waiting for. I think it is.....

I think this may be the best way to look at it. If you need a phone today, the Razr HD (maxx or non maxx but not the M - confusing!) or the S3 are both good options having very similar hardware. All things being equal, if one is free, I'd go that route. Otherwise I'd wait it out for a couple of months to get a next generation phone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom