Galloway eager to face Saints man to man coverage.... (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A pretty good read...

Galloway eager for rare shot to go one-on-one with a corner
By Stephen F. Holder
Published November 3, 2006

TAMPA - The Saints are coming to town, and no one is happier than Joey Galloway.

New Orleans is one of the few teams that attempts to defend the veteran receiver with one-on-one coverage. Should he get by his defender, the possibilities are endless.

"They'll mix it up a little bit, but we've seen them two times a year since I've been here, and they always come up and play you man," Galloway said. "I love playing the Saints because it takes me back to when I first came into this league. Teams would come up and play you man-to-man because you were young. When a team comes up and shows you man-to-man coverage, that is a challenge for any receiver. That's what we live for. And they have two very good cornerbacks, so it'll be exciting."
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/11/03/Bucs/Galloway_eager_for_ra.shtml

We need to play some zone just to confuse the qb and to contain galloway

Ole Galloway burned us in the last meeting....the ideal situation would be that the front 4 be in Gradkowski's face all day...so Galloway won't catch anything...or any of the other receivers...I'd be happy to just eliminate any big plays....they're gonna get their receptions...just keep em from busting the big one....:9:

It seems that he always scores once and that is it. To me I think that they know they will give up one TD in the game too him so just senp the house and hope we force turnovers.

It's not that bad. It's just when you play Cover 0 and Cover 1, you depend a lot on pressure, which we need to do a better job of.

Galloway is the only Buc that scares me.

I hope Fred plays so we never have to rely on Craft against him.

Does Caddy scare you? I can see Galloway getting his home run.

There are two quotes from this story that I want to bring your attention to :

Galloway: "They'll mix it up a little bit, but we've seen them two times a year since I've been here, and they always come up and play you man"

and

The writer: ....in his past three games against New Orleans he has 13 catches for 223 yards and four touchdowns.

The problem I have with these quotes is that they are acting like Venturi is still in New Orleans and there is some continuity between what the Saints did defensively prior to this year and the Gary Gibbs defense. Yes, the Saints will still show a lot of man-to-man coverage on the wideouts. But what takes place after the snap is very different from the Venturi years, so the quotes above are more about pumping themselves up and giving the Bucs confidence that they can exploit the Saints through the air.

Simply put, I don't think Galloway or the writer can take performances against the Saints' secondary from prior years and assume that the Bucs receivers are primed for a big day. The pass rush is different, the way the underneath receivers are covered is different and this Saints team is different.

It is a fluff piece IMO and nothing more.

I was thinking the same thing Richard. That is the first thing that jumped out at me was, one of two things. Are we playing the same kind of defense in the secondary that we played the last few years or, how can you compare what we are doing now to what happened in the past when the coaches and scheme are different. Hopefully it is not the first because I would hate to think that this team is doing anything the same as the previous regime. I want all remnants of the old coaching staff gone with the wind.

Defensive end Simeon Rice (shoulder) and defensive tackle Ellis Wyms (ankle) did not practice again Thursday and are still listed as questionable for Sunday's game.

HUGE!!

Defensive end Simeon Rice (shoulder) and defensive tackle Ellis Wyms (ankle) did not practice again Thursday and are still listed as questionable for Sunday's game.

HUGE!!

If Brown doesn't play, then yes it would be huge if Rice doesn't play. However if Brown plays, then I'm not worried about Rice, because Brown held him in check the last game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom