Gamble: Attempt to lock up Fairley with a 2-4 year deal now or wait? [Old thread bumped] (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been super impressed with Nick on and off the field. At worst, he could be a phenomenal rotation player. This dude is super motivated and standing out.

Even though, he hasn't played a regular season down. Would a modest gamble to extend him while his value is still relatively low. I wonder what ball park he's looking at if he produce a very good season. $4-6 million per year after the season conclude? One good year shouldn't command top dollar, but a decent pay raise obviously.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure how that would work cause his current contract is a 3 year deal that has language saying that if he is still on the team March 1st(?) he gets cut.

Swampy Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure how that would work cause his current contract is a 3 year deal that has language saying that if he is still on the team March 1st(?) he gets cut.
I thought he signed a one year deal.

if true, that's great news.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought he signed a one year deal.

if true, that's great news.
It is a multi year deal in form, but in reality it is a one year deal. It automatically voids if he is on the roster on the specified date in the contract. It was structured that way in order to spread the bonus. What incentive would he have to extend unless it were very lucrative?

RazorSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He's on a "prove it" deal. I'd prefer the Saints let him prove it in the regular season before extending.

Swampy Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Technically it is a 3 year deal. Actually it is a 1 year deal with the money spread over 3 years.
I don't know how to quote everyone (I sure would love to learn how to do that), but it would seem we have at least some type of control if it's a 3 year contract.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Frankly I have no idea how what we did with his contract is even legal. But it may be a Charger technique we just picked up on.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know how to quote everyone (I sure would love to learn how to do that), but it would seem we have at least some type of control if it's a 3 year contract.
Not really. If he is on the roster on the specified date, the remainder of the deal voids. The only way to avoid that would be to cut him or somehow restructure prior to that date.

St.Dan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'd rather see him "beast" this season, like all the early predictions say he will. Remember, this is supposed to be a "prove it, show us the talent or else" year for him, professionally.

If he is as solid as he's been in camp, THEN he can be trusted with eating up too much cap space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)