Game 1: Offense lives or Die on Strief vs. Mack? (1 Viewer)

This is super scary match up and I feel could lose the game... What are your thoughts?
If Streif struggles they will put a TE over there, or chip with a back, or possibly move Brees the other way in the pocket...

But this will slow the offense be taking away additional receiving options. So executing and winning other matchups will be crooshal. I hope Strief comes through and can handle his assignments without help. I feared this is an issue this year which is why I hoped they would find a G sooner and put the work into getting Peat ready at RT NOW.

I don't think the outcome of a game is determined by any one matchup. If it does, it's poor coaching. You could argue for quarterback play, but that's not really an individual matchup.

Ingram can help pass protect too. He was good at it last season until T. Davis blew him up. Still saved drew on the play though

I love Khalil Mack and was high on him at Buffalo long before most were even talking about him. He won't have one sack in this game. Book it!

Wait, let me gather this information.

1)You say you have been high on Mack since his time at Buffalo. You know that Mack is the only player to make an All Pro team (at 2 positions) in the same year, in the last 20 years?
2) You say you are a Saints fan, and you know our FO and coaching staff are less than sold on the showings the offensive line have presented since the start of camp.

And you are saying Mack wont have a single sack? Well, people are still claiming the earth is flat.

Saints 27-26

We still win even though this will most likely be the worst O-line in the Payton era.

Imo it's up to Oakland to find ways to exploit our weaknesses up front early.

If they don't, drew we'll find a way. He always does. If Oakland comes out the gates with stunts, delays, overloads.....we in for a long day.

I think we should take the ball first every chance we get also, so the ol can sorta get an early feel out round in.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Mack finishes the day with 2 sacks, and 5 pressures (seems like a reasonable number).

I'll go out on a limb and say you delight in miserable pessimism and will never see the bright side of anything. We all have our opinions.

I'll go out on a limb and say you delight in miserable pessimism and will never see the bright side of anything. We all have our opinions.

Quite the contrary. I have been optimistic about Kruger, I have yet to call Peat a bust, heck, I have us at worst finishing 8-8.

I wont stand here and lie to myself (and others) and say that we will contain one of the greatest defensive players in the game today with our shoddy pass blocking. The Steelers don't have a Mack on their defense, and they ate our oline up like a fat kid with chocolate cake. Thats not being a pessimist, thats being a realist. Saying we will hold him without a sack (or two) is just wishful thinking.

To be fair, you said 2 sacks and 5 pressures, not a sack or two. While I don't agree with your reasoning as the basis for your conclusion and still see you as being consistently negative, I also wouldn't bet heavily against him approaching those stats. Let's call it an edgy truce on this one.

To be fair, you said 2 sacks and 5 pressures, not a sack or two. While I don't agree with your reasoning as the basis for your conclusion and still see you as being consistently negative, I also wouldn't bet heavily against him approaching those stats. Let's call it an edgy truce on this one.

I am not changing from my prediction, and I have presented my case as to why it is a sound guess. I am fine for calling it a truce, but I will admit, I was looking forward to one of us invading Russia in the winter.

I highly doubt that Mack will be unaccounted for in this game.

Mack v. Armstead is fine
Mack v. Strief + chip block is fine as well.

Like others have said, I see a good amount of 21 personnel with Kuhn in the game. Run towards Mack, chip block Mack, PA pass with action towards Mack.

I'm not going to pretend like this isn't a scary match up because it is. Mack is one of those players who can ruin a game plan by himself. The trick is to employ the right game plan to do what you can to neutralize him. Strief isn't going to be out there on an island one on one against Mack the entire game. He'll have plenty of help.

I'm looking forward to seeing Armstead v Mack. Two of the best in the business and it should be fun to watch. I'm just glad Mack isn't in our division. I'd hate to know that we have to face him twice a year for the foreseeable future.

I'm not going to pretend like this isn't a scary match up because it is. Mack is one of those players who can ruin a game plan by himself. The trick is to employ the right game plan to do what you can to neutralize him. Strief isn't going to be out there on an island one on one against Mack the entire game. He'll have plenty of help.

I'm looking forward to seeing Armstead v Mack. Two of the best in the business and it should be fun to watch. I'm just glad Mack isn't in our division. I'd hate to know that we have to face him twice a year for the foreseeable future.

I look forward to the Mack Armstead battle as well. If Armstead is healthy that should be a battle that will vault TA into the national spotlight (especially if we hold Mack without a sack). But if TA is hurt (or not 100%) when he goes up against Mack, that wont turn out pretty for us, and his reputation will unfortunately take a hit.

Mack is a beast though. Looking at it now, its amazing he was taken 5th overall. I'm glad that he went to Oakland, and not to the Falcons (who had the next pick). I am not sure if Mack is solely responsible for that, or if Jack Del Rio is responsible, but that guy has the potential to be an all time great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom