Game vs San Fran is almost worth two games (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Obviously the winner takes over the top spot and earns a tiebreaker against the other.

However, I noticed something else playing around with the ESPN playoff machine: Beating SF would effectively give us the tiebreaker over every other NFC team *if* our third loss came against Indy or Tennessee.

We would hold H2H tiebreakers against Seattle or SF. Right now, GB and Minnesota would hold a tiebreaker over us because one of their losses came against an AFC teams. However, if we beat SF, we would own the strength of victory tiebreaker over both those teams even if we lose to Tennessee or Indy. We couldn’t afford a loss to Carolina, but having that one-game buffer for those two games could be big.

Wow, It's already time for the playoff machine again. Cool. This year is sure going fast.

here is a link

Yup. Thanks for posting that.

Best way I’ve found to play around with it is to plug in “best winning percentage” as the default, and then manipulate a couple individual games along the way.

For this one, I changed the SF-NO game to a Saints win, then changed a few others to assure we ended in a tie at 13-3 with the NFC North teams.

Obviously that assumes a ton of other things, but the bottom line is where we stand with the tiebreakers if we somehow manage to win Sunday.

Obviously the winner takes over the top spot and earns a tiebreaker against the other.

However, I noticed something else playing around with the ESPN playoff machine: Beating SF would effectively give us the tiebreaker over every other NFC team *if* our third loss came against Indy or Tennessee.

We would hold H2H tiebreakers against Seattle or SF. Right now, GB and Minnesota would hold a tiebreaker over us because one of their losses came against an AFC teams. However, if we beat SF, we would own the strength of victory tiebreaker over both those teams even if we lose to Tennessee or Indy. We couldn’t afford a loss to Carolina, but having that one-game buffer for those two games could be big.
How about we just win out... then we get the #1 seed REGARDLESS of what any other team does?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom