Games of the XXXII Olympiad - Tokyo 2021 (1 Viewer)

Was chatting with my in-laws in Hokkaido. Folks in Japan are absolutely ticked off that the Olympics are going forward. Most people were pushing for another year delay. The news reports are about how wasteful it has become and how the Olympic Committee is forcing Japanese officials to move forward with the games.

Meanwhile, Japan is still struggling to get it’s population vaccinated due to shortages. My In-laws are fully vaccinated but many younger folks can’t get their 1st dose. Of course kids can’t get a dosage at all for now.

Was chatting with my in-laws in Hokkaido. Folks in Japan are absolutely ticked off that the Olympics are going forward. Most people were pushing for another year delay. The news reports are about how wasteful it has become and how the Olympic Committee is forcing Japanese officials to move forward with the games.

Meanwhile, Japan is still struggling to get it’s population vaccinated due to shortages. My In-laws are fully vaccinated but many younger folks can’t get their 1st dose. Of course kids can’t get a dosage at all for now.
Why do they have such a shortage? They're not exactly s 3rd world country.

Why do they have such a shortage? They're not exactly s 3rd world country.
From this article:
But hobbled by a slow rollout, a severe shortage of doctors and nurses, and by the fact that it must import all its vaccines, Japan has fully vaccinated just a little more than 8 percent of its people, according to the World Health Organization

Part of the reason is because, under Japanese law, only doctors and registered nurses are allowed to “legally give injections,” said Dr. C. Jason Wang, a professor of pediatrics and general medicine at Stanford University.
….
Also, Japan already was grappling with a severe shortage of doctors and nurses even before the pandemic and a large population of very vulnerable people.

“In an aging society, it’s very difficult to find doctors and nurses,” Keio University professor Sayuri Shirai told CNBC’s “Street Signs Asia,” adding that local governments have said vaccination rates are low because they don't have enough people to administer the shots.

Plus, there’s Japan’s sprawling bureaucracy.

“Japan has a slow regulatory process,” Wang said. “For a vaccine like Pfizer, for example, to get approved, they had to run clinical trials involving Japanese citizens. So it takes a long time to make a decision in Japan.”

NBC Sports has full coverage of things now. I'm watching rowing heats.

Drones and pictograms for the win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom