Gardening thread- for all those green thumbs. (1 Viewer)

Did you use 4x3 downspouts or are those 4x4 downspouts? I'm looking for a way to cap off the 4x3 vinyl downspouts. I think I might have a way to rig something up, but I'm open to ideas from someone who has done it before.

I didn't close either end off. The solution went in on one sides. Then came out on the other side. I think it was the 3 inches wide X 2 inches high.

This may help you with some of the questions.

Cost of urea and other fertilizers are going crazy. Cost of food will likely continue to climb.

So what’s everyone’s plans for 2022? Thinking about tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon.

Glad to see this thread again.
I pulled my fall tomatoes just before the 1st “freeze” here in the 504
About to pull carrots and broccoli to prep my bed for the spring crop

Cost of urea and other fertilizers are going crazy. Cost of food will likely continue to climb.

So what’s everyone’s plans for 2022? Thinking about tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon.
Deep south zones 9 and 10 are the best places for watermelon. Contrary to their name they don't require much
water. One inch a week is suffecient. They need a lot of time to lay in the hot sun. Grand Bay Ala. and Smith Co. MS.
are the 2 places I've found where they grow best.

My garlic is growing well again this year. Just too dressed my whole garden with about 6 inches of steer compost.

I’d some multicolored finger potatoes that had sprouted, so I planted them a couple weeks ago. First couple are just breaking through. Also never usually grow corn but I’m thinking I may try some this year just for something to do.

Have about another month until I can put a few tomatoes in the ground.

Citrus trees are starting to bud and sprout. That makes me happy. Hopefully we get more rain here this year so I can get more water on them. They taste great this year, but they are smaller than normal.

Deep south zones 9 and 10 are the best places for watermelon. Contrary to their name they don't require much
water. One inch a week is suffecient. They need a lot of time to lay in the hot sun. Grand Bay Ala. and Smith Co. MS.
are the 2 places I've found where they grow best.
I grew a mini one in Ontario last year. Moved to Greenville SC since. Going to try there. I have a nice south facing slope in my yard. My soil is hard red clay.

I’m in central California, so they should grow well. But I’ve never been able to get one to grow at all. I’ve tried like 6 years in a row. No luck

Lost my Satsuma tree to freeze. I had moved it into ground last spring other side of yard, and forgot to put the frost blanket on. So very upset as we had about 30 fantastic Satsumas last fall and I pruned to get another good year.

Gonna prune back again to see if by some miracle it will come back.

Prepped bed last week and plan on planting seedlings here next two weeks. Sticking with cucumbers, onions, bell peppers, celery and cherry tomatoes.

I’m in central California, so they should grow well. But I’ve never been able to get one to grow at all. I’ve tried like 6 years in a row. No luck
Have you tested your soils ph level. They require as basic soil. The soil here is acidic. When we grown them,we have to
fertilize with lime. Your local USDA should test it for free. They do here and will tell you how much to put down.

When you gather soil for testing,use a plastic spoon. A metal one might screw the results.

Lost my Satsuma tree to freeze. I had moved it into ground last spring other side of yard, and forgot to put the frost blanket on. So very upset as we had about 30 fantastic Satsumas last fall and I pruned to get another good year.

Gonna prune back again to see if by some miracle it will come back.

Prepped bed last week and plan on planting seedlings here next two weeks. Sticking with cucumbers, onions, bell peppers, celery and cherry tomatoes.
Surprised to hear your satsuma died from a freeze. I bet in recovers. Mine is 5 y/o and produced a perfect crop finally. Smaller fruit, not as meally, and super sweet. Probably pulled 70 satsumas this year.

Have you tested your soils ph level. They require as basic soil. The soil here is acidic. When we grown them,we have to
fertilize with lime. Your local USDA should test it for free. They do here and will tell you how much to put down.

When you gather soil for testing,use a plastic spoon. A metal one might screw the results.
Outta luck with that as I’ve done a lot to get and keep my soil acidic for my citrus. If it comes down to citrus or watermelon, watermelon have no chance

Squirrels wrecked my plans last year. Tomatoes, beans, and cucumbers gnawed off the vine. Root plants (beets, radishes, carrots) dug up the second they sprouted. Even the peach tree was dive bombed where hundreds of peaches were all picked off right before they ripened. The only things they didn't get were peas, okra, and strawberries (surprisingly)

Garden plans this year include a giant seed bell with a trash can filled with water under it, and we'll be having squirrel gumbo soon.

I’ve almost given up on gardening in DC. When I lived downtown, my front yard garden would get eaten by rats and people. I’ve walked out to drunk/stoned people eating raw veggies.

Now that I’m in suburban DC near Rock Creek Park, my garden gets eaten by rats, squirrels, rabbits, and deer. Plus the soil is the rockiest mess ever.

I may try raised beds this year.

I’ve almost given up on gardening in DC. When I lived downtown, my front yard garden would get eaten by rats and people. I’ve walked out to drunk/stoned people eating raw veggies.

Now that I’m in suburban DC near Rock Creek Park, my garden gets eaten by rats, squirrels, rabbits, and deer. Plus the soil is the rockiest mess ever.

I may try raised beds this year.
Yea I'm in northern VA. Soil is all clay here but I put a lot of effort into improving it when I moved in. The last two summers have been great growing conditions (more rain than usual) but the squirrels are the only beneficiaries in my case.
I'm all for wildlife but when we're missing the top of the food chain, it gets out of hand fast. Was hoping the dog would start putting squirrel heads on pikes but he's too dumb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom