Gardening thread- for all those green thumbs. (1 Viewer)

I’ve almost given up on gardening in DC. When I lived downtown, my front yard garden would get eaten by rats and people. I’ve walked out to drunk/stoned people eating raw veggies.

I wish I could get stoned enough to eat raw veggies. Do you grow french fries?

Surprised to hear your satsuma died from a freeze. I bet in recovers. Mine is 5 y/o and produced a perfect crop finally. Smaller fruit, not as meally, and super sweet. Probably pulled 70 satsumas this year.

lovely! mine too were super sweet and peeled in one motion. I was proud lol

Im holding out hope. very outside leave turned up/brown so im hopeful the main trunk and roots are good. Getting some good sun last few days so will see in about 2 weeks.

Yea I'm in northern VA. Soil is all clay here but I put a lot of effort into improving it when I moved in. The last two summers have been great growing conditions (more rain than usual) but the squirrels are the only beneficiaries in my case.
I'm all for wildlife but when we're missing the top of the food chain, it gets out of hand fast. Was hoping the dog would start putting squirrel heads on pikes but he's too dumb.
I'm lucky. We have coyotes and foxes around my community. They are doing a good job of keeping those pesky
herbivores in check.

I’ve almost given up on gardening in DC. When I lived downtown, my front yard garden would get eaten by rats and people. I’ve walked out to drunk/stoned people eating raw veggies.

Now that I’m in suburban DC near Rock Creek Park, my garden gets eaten by rats, squirrels, rabbits, and deer. Plus the soil is the rockiest mess ever.

I may try raised beds this year.

so old guy gave me a tip....for rabbits, rats, deer

plant Jalepeno around the edges ( as in first plant they come to) they eat the leaves, will never come back.

Worked for me at old home w/ rabbits. They would graze in yard, but never the garden.

And if you like jalepenos, youll have some as well. lol.

Here is what we have planted right now...

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cantelope
Watermelon
Green beans
Tomato
Spinach
Cilantro
Carrots
Chives
Rosemary
Basil
Okra
Tomatoes
Eggplant
Zucchini
Cucumber
Bell pepper
Jalapeno
Banana pepper
Poblano pepper
Arugala
Chives
Dill
Kale
Swiss Chard
Romaine
Strawberries
Onions
Shallots

When the broccoli bolts, I'm going to plant corn or more peppers. I think that's it...

Already harvested two heads of broccoli. Bell peppers and jalapenos are starting to appear. Ate our first green salad of romaine, kale, chard and spinach last night. Daughter has been cutting chives for eggs a week now. Wife made ranch dressing with the dill last night, too.

I've got a blackberry that's really flowering, too.

Last edited:
Day 1 of the new beds.

I built them tall because we have a schnauzer and poodle that love to dig. Bottom 10" is filled with leftover firewood, branches and grass clippings from last year. Top half is Mel's mix w/ 3 types of composted material.

Attachments

• IMG_20220303_191748.jpg
    IMG_20220303_191748.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 20
Day 1 of the new beds.

I built them tall because we have a schnauzer and poodle that love to dig. Bottom 10" is filled with leftover firewood, branches and grass clippings from last year. Top half is Mel's mix w/ 3 types of composted material.

That looks awesome! How much soil for each box?

Yesterday

Attachments

• PXL_20220414_004443104.jpg
    PXL_20220414_004443104.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220414_004453818.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220414_004453818.MP.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220414_004433291.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220414_004433291.MP.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220411_194859926.jpg
    PXL_20220411_194859926.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220411_194818005.jpg
    PXL_20220411_194818005.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 15

you are gonna need a bigger trellis for the cukes

they are prolific climbers/growers once they kick off.

I see you got some marigolds too throughout - dual action flowers :9:

Also, just a tip ( not "the lol ) - spacing...be mindful of this. I used to pack in as much as i could. Not realizing they dont like "cramped" spacing- the root systems want to spread.

Looks great !!! I have pared my garden down to what we REALLY use. I used to grow everything listed too, but then had bags of Kale, herbs, banana/jalepeno peppers, eggplant, broccoli and cauliflower and no one would touch. LOL

shoot i grew corn one year lol

and lastly- fertilize- make sure those babies get good nutrients and drainage

I planted last weekend. herbs, several peppers (carolina reaper, scotch bonnet, red habenero, jalepeno, and one with a weird name from the farmer's market), 2 tomatoes and 3 kinds of eggplant.

I left a little room in case something else catches my eye.

My tomatoes are starting to get little ones on them, going for black heirloom styles this year, potatoes are about 9 inches tall, garlic looking good. My pumpkin is starting to find a groove so all is going great.

Garlic for comparison a couple weeks ago. It’s not elephant garlic, I believe it’s Xian. (But I’ve saved and replant my stock so not 100% positive). The others with the shovel are my semi wild Guatemalan stuff I have grown from the same stock for 20 years. It’s miserably hot and will strip the skin off your fingers if you’re not careful. But it’s oh so good

Attachments

• 6D9108CA-71C5-4A88-990A-EECF94A40350.jpeg
    6D9108CA-71C5-4A88-990A-EECF94A40350.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 6A06DC4A-3666-45E1-9DD6-584BC8F6330A.jpeg
    6A06DC4A-3666-45E1-9DD6-584BC8F6330A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom