Gardening thread- for all those green thumbs. (1 Viewer)

Also, just a tip ( not "the lol ) - spacing...be mindful of this. I used to pack in as much as i could. Not realizing they don't like "cramped" spacing- the root systems want to spread.
Yeah, I was uneasy packing it all in. I still recall the kind of spacing my family had in our garden plot between plants and how quickly it fills. The SFG book said go for it, so I crammed. I put less in some of those areas that suggested, so I am curious as to how it will all work out. If it looks like growth stops, I'll start thinning the "squares".

I'm already contemplating changes for next year. I'll use cedar or cypress to create some more permanent structures for indeterminate plants. I think I want to grow the tomatoes down the middle as opposed to the back, of the center bed. Then between the tomatoes, I'll shove marigolds and basil. I've been told that basil will help keep the hornworms away. I'm not 100% sold that's true, but worst case scenario is I have lots of basil. Behind the tomatoes I'll start a second crop of greens to see if the shade from the tomatoes will keep them cooler and maybe stop them from bolting so quickly.

Once the broccoli is done, I'm going to plant corn. lol We're not big corn eaters, but I doubt we harvest much anyway. What little I get will freeze. If the corn doesn't take off, that will just be more space for melons to grow out. Mostly, this is something to do every day after work for a couple of hours. Otherwise, its just really expensive vegetables.

I'm too busy getting ready to dissolve the hammerhead worms I find - apparently you have to put them in jars and dissolve them in salt and vinegar. I figure we'll make it a family activity.

11.jpg

I searched for a thread because I was going to start a new one. This seems to be the closest related and figure it may be good to combine topics - gardening & house plants.

I’ve historically had a black thumb. I’m trying to change that because fake house plants just don’t look as good - especially the larger trees.

I recently bought a Monstera. It’s about 4’ tall right now and I can’t wait for it to get really huge. I also bought a baby rubber tree that’s about 1.5’ right now.

Would appreciate any tips on keeping these babies alive & thriving & any other house plant 🪴 discussion.

Cheers!

I searched for a thread because I was going to start a new one. This seems to be the closest related and figure it may be good to combine topics - gardening & house plants.

I’ve historically had a black thumb. I’m trying to change that because fake house plants just don’t look as good - especially the larger trees.

I recently bought a Monstera. It’s about 4’ tall right now and I can’t wait for it to get really huge. I also bought a baby rubber tree that’s about 1.5’ right now.

Would appreciate any tips on keeping these babies alive & thriving & any other house plant 🪴 discussion.

Cheers!

Sing to them.

I think I planted too much celery lol

Attachments

• 20220508_084124.jpg
    20220508_084124.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 8
I'm don't know which tool to buy in order to lightly fluff up my compacted soil.

I want to plant some grass seed and just need to slightly disturb the surface. Maybe create some holes so the soil can breathe... or whatever.

A regular rake is practically useless.

Do I get one of those aerators that extracts the soil in little cylinders? Maybe a spiked aerator for maximum "holage."

I can get a regular hoe. Or a smaller spade hoe that allows for more precision.

A spiky cultivator? A tined pitchfork looking thing? A manual tiller?

Knowing me, I'm going to pick the exact, WRONG thing and end up with a yard that resembles a construction site.

I'm don't know which tool to buy in order to lightly fluff up my compacted soil.

I want to plant some grass seed and just need to slightly disturb the surface. Maybe create some holes so the soil can breathe... or whatever.

A regular rake is practically useless.

Do I get one of those aerators that extracts the soil in little cylinders? Maybe a spiked aerator for maximum "holage."

I can get a regular hoe. Or a smaller spade hoe that allows for more precision.

A spiky cultivator? A tined pitchfork looking thing? A manual tiller?

Knowing me, I'm going to pick the exact, WRONG thing and end up with a yard that resembles a construction site.
I have something similar to this and it’s pretty good.

BARAYSTUS Height Adjustable Hand Tiller Garden Claw Twist Tiller Cultivator Tiller Soil Lossener Lawn Aerator Areator Loosen, Rototiller, Garden Bed and Plant Box Cultivator, Garden Tools. Amazon product ASIN B096PJG4WK

For overseeing I have something like this guy. Just enough to break up the top of the soil enough for the seeds to get good contact.

Attachments

• 3AC5F75A-F2A1-4D77-BD8C-5BB284BC0690.jpeg
    3AC5F75A-F2A1-4D77-BD8C-5BB284BC0690.jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 4

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom