Gardening thread- for all those green thumbs. (1 Viewer)

My new house plants are doing well. I’ve only had them 2 weeks but they are thriving which is huge for someone like me with a black thumb.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
A cucumber has arrived finally. Getting ready to take down the broccoli plants before they bolt. Zucchini seems to be doing well. My backup plants have even taken off. Expecting the first tomato soon, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220510_171247.jpg
    IMG_20220510_171247.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220510_171255.jpg
    IMG_20220510_171255.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220510_171304.jpg
    IMG_20220510_171304.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 2
My tiny garden started late, so I just bought plants this year. I've got creole and Roma tomatoes, ichiban eggplant, some kind of hot pepper, lunchbox bell pepper zucchini and green onions in my raised bed. I've also got planter boxes/pots with chives, radish, mint and Thai basil. In the ground I've got a Satsuma, 4 blueberry bushes and 2 muscadines on an arbor.

Non-produce, I have dendribiums and bromeliads. I'm very bad at maintaining the dendrobiums, but the bromeliads are pretty nice. I have about 10-12 different varieties. I can post some pics later.

My tiny garden started late, so I just bought plants this year. I've got creole and Roma tomatoes, ichiban eggplant, some kind of hot pepper, lunchbox bell pepper zucchini and green onions in my raised bed. I've also got planter boxes/pots with chives, radish, mint and Thai basil. In the ground I've got a Satsuma, 4 blueberry bushes and 2 muscadines on an arbor.

Non-produce, I have dendribiums and bromeliads. I'm very bad at maintaining the dendrobiums, but the bromeliads are pretty nice. I have about 10-12 different varieties. I can post some pics later.
My blackberry bush is taking over the garden lol.

I have sprouts shooting up 4 ft away from the bush. Gonna have to transplant to yard this winter.

Here's a pic of my muscadine arbor with some hanging spider plants underneath. I made the arbor out of old trampoline parts and baling wire.
20220507_075846.jpg
I love it when people redneck the sheet out of something and make it look cool. I've seen pics of people using those blue, plastic kiddie pools for gardens this week. Nice, cheap alternative I suppose that keeps things out of the yards and contained. In my head, I felt like that might be kinda tacky, but once they're filled and plants start growing those pools look kinda cool.

Blackberry produced a couple quarts it's first season.

Zucchini produced maybe 4 fruit before the vine borers got it. Going to try again with seedlings I planted last month.

Cucumber finally started to go and I'm picking a couple a day now. Still get an odd twisted, yellow one every now and then.

Eggplant and okra are blooming. No fruit yet, but it's early for the okra.

Kale gone. 3 Chard plants left that will probably be gone this week. That's gonna leave me a large area open and I'm not sure yet how to fill it.

Bell pepper, banana pepper and jalapeno are producing and probably give me a couple fruit and day now. I expect them to really start producing in the next month. Tabasco plant is covered with a lot of small, green peppers.

I have pulled half of the onions and shallots. They're all pretty small. We definitely crowded those. I have a different approach in mind for next year.

Carrots seem to be doing ok. They're smaller than I'd like I think, but still green and growing so we'll see. It's definitely the best job I've personally done before.

Basil is a thicket. Time to make a ton of pesto.

Roma tomatoes have stopped producing. I'm thinking of moving them to another spot where they might have more room. Beefsteak tomato has been a disappointment. The plant is massive, but has produced very little fruit. The early girl is still cranking out fruit. Cherry tomato plant won't stop and gives me a half pint of fruit a day. I'd probably be neck deep in cherry tomatoes if the hail storm hadn't taken out the other two back in the spring.

Green beans gave me a couple quarts and then stopped producing. Plant is still green, but not climbing. No new fruit in a month.

I have about a dozen cantelope and a half dozen watermelon. The watermelon isn't ready yet, but we've had a couple cantelope already. Store-bought cantelope just doesn't compare.

Sunflowers are hilariously tall. The stalks at the base and a couple inches across. Tallest one is probably 6+ feet tall. I'm going to scatter sends across the entire back of the property line next year.

I need to throw up a new pic of mine. The heat is really taking a toll on the tomatoes. I haven't applied any fertilizer in a month, either. Irrigation still running on automatic with two 10-minute intervals every day unless it is alerted to rain and shuts off.

Obvious post is obvious, but I’ve been adding ground up egg shells, coffee grounds and sometimes banana peel or the pulp from my wife’s juice* and the potted plants have really responded

*(don’t bother, too easy)

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
My tomatoes are done but had a bumper crop
Didn’t have much success with cucumbers this year
Peppers still going (jalapeño, cayenne, bell, and Tabasco)
Okra is coming soon
As is watermelon, arugula, and black eye peas
Hot Summer garden time

Obvious post is obvious, but I’ve been adding ground up egg shells, coffee grounds and sometimes banana peel or the pulp from my wife’s juice* and the potted plants have really responded

*(don’t bother, too easy)
I never put egg shells in my compost because I find they don’t break down.
How do you ground them?
Grinder or just crush in your hand?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom