Gardening thread- for all those green thumbs. (1 Viewer)

I am a fan of Compost teas and vermicomposting with worms. I have a couple thousand red wigglers chewing through all of my old Amazon boxes and leftover veggies and fruit. I don't feel quite as bad letting that box of spinach go bad since I know the worms will chow through it in a day.

For those interested in Auto-Watering systems, I have heard good things about Blumats and will likely invest in some this spring for my front flower beds.

I'd love some suggestions on things to grow in a small greenhouse. We bought our current house in 2016 and it happened to have a nice greenhouse, in a south-facing garden that gets a load of sunlight. Plenty of water too, since there's also a couple of rain barrels set up. But I haven't grown much in there yet.

So far all I've grown is mint (not intentionally, the previous occupant grew it and it apparently does not quit), a small strawberry patch that I suspect a mouse is stealing all the strawberries from, and pumpkins which we grew last year for Halloween with some success. I tried some tomatoes in the first year, and they didn't do well at all. But that may have been because I completely neglected them (in my defense that was mostly because I was trying to not neglect a baby at the time).

But our son is four now and was really excited about the pumpkins, so I'm really looking for suggestions for other things we could grow in there this year that would be fun for him to help with, watch grow, and hopefully eat. I might try tomatoes again, but any other suggestions (or tips on how to grow tomatoes successfully...) would be much appreciated.

So for your mouse....plant some Jalepeno on the edges of your garden. Most of the time animals will snack on first thing they encounter. They eat a jalepeno leaf, and will never return. ( hot snakes but for them lol )

Tomatoes. The soil, sun, drainage and variety play a role. Most are self- pollinating so thats a plus. If available at a local co-op or home imp store ( like Lowes or HD ) get some basic garden soil, cow manure....mix in wheelbarrow or just on ground and then mix that with existing soil - give a week or so before planting. Its hard to say why they didnt do well ( was it leaf curl? browning? wilt? ) - most of the time, it was OVER-watering from me my first year or two doing this. Had to learn when too much and when not enough. I cant even explain now - but once my plants are established, i water maybe 1 time a week in spring and 2x in summer. I do all mine in a raised bed 18inches. What i also learned is that good drainage ( letting water get down deep ) promotes healthy root growth ( to find water and nutrients ) leading to strong/sturdy plant as well.
so just a guess, but possibly too much water sitting around the root of the plants causing issues. ( if ground level )

i did grow my own leaf lettuce this year too. actually have 3 heads still in ground left. Was pleasantly surprised how well and cold hardy it was.

Like you, i use Black Kow manure - hard to keep my dogs out of there the first week or so, but eventually they just get used to it lol

this weekend will be spent reconstituting the soil and making amendments - rain barrel- do you just use to water with or have it set up to auto-water somehow?
Oh yeah
Lettuce is a super easy and useful fall crop
Where is you get chicken crap?
I have a coworker with a coop
Can I just rake around it?

I am a fan of Compost teas and vermicomposting with worms. I have a couple thousand red wigglers chewing through all of my old Amazon boxes and leftover veggies and fruit. I don't feel quite as bad letting that box of spinach go bad since I know the worms will chow through it in a day.

For those interested in Auto-Watering systems, I have heard good things about Blumats and will likely invest in some this spring for my front flower beds.

I had researched Subpod- think like crate with holes ( for worms to come and go ) in middle of your garden that you toss compost in and let nature do its thing.

I learned this lesson a long time ago. The key to a green thumb is to grow what thrives in your zone. The best gardener in the
world will not grow pineapples in Minnesota.

Oh yeah
Lettuce is a super easy and useful fall crop
Where is you get chicken crap?
I have a coworker with a coop
Can I just rake around it?

Covington Co-Op. its like $10 for 15 lb bag. I dont know anyone with a coop so i buy. It doesnt take much for me as my garden is 10x10 so around 3lbs more than enough

I work into the soil- 3-6 inches deep. DO not plant within 2 weeks- the ammonia/nitrogen release will burn EVERYTHING ( found this out the hard way - went BACK to co op like all my plants are just burnt up - guy said you planted too soon after introducing the dung. then explained the ammonia release ) . I like to work in deeper to a) avoid massive release and b) allow it to kinda "compost" on its own over time. It wont affect my early/mid spring harvest all that much, but come mid/late summer ( cucumbers) im giving stuff away.

Ask them for the manure AND bedding and you can compost yourself to then use as a soil additive.

Fresh Manure contains a lot of bacteria. It needs to be covered with visqueen under full sun to kill it.

composting.

the stuff i buy is composted already.

but good point!

So for your mouse....plant some Jalepeno on the edges of your garden. Most of the time animals will snack on first thing they encounter. They eat a jalepeno leaf, and will never return. ( hot snakes but for them lol )

Tomatoes. The soil, sun, drainage and variety play a role. Most are self- pollinating so thats a plus. If available at a local co-op or home imp store ( like Lowes or HD ) get some basic garden soil, cow manure....mix in wheelbarrow or just on ground and then mix that with existing soil - give a week or so before planting. Its hard to say why they didnt do well ( was it leaf curl? browning? wilt? ) - most of the time, it was OVER-watering from me my first year or two doing this. Had to learn when too much and when not enough. I cant even explain now - but once my plants are established, i water maybe 1 time a week in spring and 2x in summer. I do all mine in a raised bed 18inches. What i also learned is that good drainage ( letting water get down deep ) promotes healthy root growth ( to find water and nutrients ) leading to strong/sturdy plant as well.
so just a guess, but possibly too much water sitting around the root of the plants causing issues. ( if ground level )
I'll look at giving the jalapeno a go, thanks for the suggestion.

My failed tomatoes seemed to grow out OK, but they just kind of spread out, only leaves, no flowers, and then eventually they wilted. Over watering is a definite possibility, that's probably the only thing I did do at the time!

I'll look at giving the jalapeno a go, thanks for the suggestion.

My failed tomatoes seemed to grow out OK, but they just kind of spread out, only leaves, no flowers, and then eventually they wilted. Over watering is a definite possibility, that's probably the only thing I did do at the time!

Everything above is pretty much spot on about growing in a GH.
But I don't believe that most tomatoes are self pollinating. Thought they can pollinate themselves. Walking through and brushing or shaking the plants can easily pollinate the flowers.

Growing in a GH is great because you can control certain aspects. But it can also cause a blossom of bugs and things that are not great for your plants. The temps can also run away from you in a GH. In a closed GH on a 70 degree sunny day the temps can exceed 100 degrees quickly
Another thing is that if its over 90 in the GH or in general tomatoes dont do well fruiting. That could have been an issue with yours.

Good soil is needed. I have actually stopped adding any soil to my raised beds and the new beds I am going with 100% sugarcane compost or sugar soil. We experimented with it last year in 3, 3 foot x 16foot beds. Best we have ever grown. Though they needed to be watered more. The rainy season hit and we didn't have 1 tomato bust due to too much watering.

Man I could go on and on I love talking about growing things. Just as much as I love the saints. Its hard to keep my mind on one things when talking about plants!

Covington Co-Op. its like $10 for 15 lb bag. I dont know anyone with a coop so i buy. It doesnt take much for me as my garden is 10x10 so around 3lbs more than enough

I work into the soil- 3-6 inches deep. DO not plant within 2 weeks- the ammonia/nitrogen release will burn EVERYTHING ( found this out the hard way - went BACK to co op like all my plants are just burnt up - guy said you planted too soon after introducing the dung. then explained the ammonia release ) . I like to work in deeper to a) avoid massive release and b) allow it to kinda "compost" on its own over time. It wont affect my early/mid spring harvest all that much, but come mid/late summer ( cucumbers) im giving stuff away.

Ask them for the manure AND bedding and you can compost yourself to then use as a soil additive.
I’m in mid city
I’ll ask around
Have you ever just put it into your compost bin?

I’m in mid city
I’ll ask around
Have you ever just put it into your compost bin?

No I don't have a compost bin which is why I always amend my soil.

I'm gonna start tho.

The dung I buy is composted already.

Everything above is pretty much spot on about growing in a GH.
But I don't believe that most tomatoes are self pollinating. Thought they can pollinate themselves. Walking through and brushing or shaking the plants can easily pollinate the flowers.

Growing in a GH is great because you can control certain aspects. But it can also cause a blossom of bugs and things that are not great for your plants. The temps can also run away from you in a GH. In a closed GH on a 70 degree sunny day the temps can exceed 100 degrees quickly
Another thing is that if its over 90 in the GH or in general tomatoes dont do well fruiting. That could have been an issue with yours.

Good soil is needed. I have actually stopped adding any soil to my raised beds and the new beds I am going with 100% sugarcane compost or sugar soil. We experimented with it last year in 3, 3 foot x 16foot beds. Best we have ever grown. Though they needed to be watered more. The rainy season hit and we didn't have 1 tomato bust due to too much watering.

Man I could go on and on I love talking about growing things. Just as much as I love the saints. Its hard to keep my mind on one things when talking about plants!

Great point as I forgot he grows in greenhouse.

I'm lucky in that about 50 ft from my property line, in greenspace, there is a dead tree that has been annexed by honey bees just last summer. They still there. Plus many bee hives around me on north shore.

Great point as I forgot he grows in greenhouse.

I'm lucky in that about 50 ft from my property line, in greenspace, there is a dead tree that has been annexed by honey bees just last summer. They still there. Plus many bee hives around me on north shore.

Oh man that has got to be so nice! I'm south of lafayette and surrounded by sugarcane. Needless to say the bee population is near non existent. Such a sad thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom