Garic's 5 Reasons Drew Won't Retire (yet) (1 Viewer)

The reason I’ll put money on that Drew is not going to retire is watching him on the sidelines for those 5 weeks while Teddy was starting. That hunger in his eyes is all I need to know that Drew will be back.
I saw that as well but I'm not sure how to interpret that. Historically, no player likes to see his backup playing well, regardless of age, because that means he's expendable. I also think he wantd to get back ASAP to make sure Sean didn't get to comfortable with Teddy under center.

He did look like a caged tiger while Bridgewater was playing. That doesn't mean that he feels the same way now. I just hope he makes the right decision. From personal experience, that means just knowing it's time to hang it up. There could be a mixture of practical and emotional reasons for "just knowing."

IMHO that "caged tiger" look had little to do with how well or poorly Teddy played, just that Teddy was playing. In fact, I would venture to say he was very pleased to be getting back a viable contending team. He found out what retirement would feel like while he was still able to play at a very competitive level. And he obviously did not like that feeling. He looked like a kid at Christmas when he finally got back on the field. That is 1 reason I believe whole-heartedly he will be back.

But, Drew is not a selfish, me-first, player. Otherwise we would've never seen Taysom under center with Drew. And if CSP wants Taysom to take more snaps to augment where Drew has slowed, my opinion is Drew will continue to graciously step aside and cheer for Taysom, just as he cheered for Teddy (or so it seemed whenever the cameras were on Drew when Teddy did something good or great).

Personally I don't blame Drew for wanting to hold on to his records as long as he can. After all, he earned them with lots of hard work and has every right to be proud of each and every one of them. But (also my opinion only) I do not believe that would be the only reason, or even the main reason, he would return. I don't believe Drew is the kind of person that would consciously put himself before the team, so I believe he would "hang-em-up" as he has stated if he feels his play is no longer an asset to the team, regardless.

Finally, imo, Drew is/was/always will be a top 3 best thing that ever happened to the Saints and I will be eternally grateful that we had him/have him for whatever time it may be. I know I will be crying a lot when he does bow out, regardless of who steps up next.

I don't mean it in a disrespectful manner but most guys don't walk away on their own (Montana, Farve, even Eli tried to hold out but the Giants drafted his replacement). I think the Brady thing may provide some extra motivation return outside of the quest for a ring.
The thing is, he's still got it. I thought the thumb injury might be what did him in, but he looked great after coming back. He's still our best quarterback and best chance to make it back to the playoffs.

From what I recall, you and I are usually in agreement. But you seem ready to move on from Brees and I'm not. I'm not worried about the "window" for Brees anymore just because many think that was his last shot at the Super Bowl. Brees is still playing at a great level and gives us the best chance to win games. I love Teddy and Taysom. Still a lot of unknowns about both, but the 41 year old Brees is still our best bet. Saying that, now is the time to draft his replacement. Teddy will be gone if Brees returns. Taysom is still a big question mark, but could be a stop gap post-Brees.

Garic is an absolute tool! Cannot stomach him. And listening to WWL 870, with Garic leading the sports department, is about ss bad as it gets. You mean to tell me, there are not any better radio sports dept. guys/gals out there? Geezus.

If Drew retires, it would be the equivalent of Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders, in terms of what the quality of their last season was like.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom