Garrapolo to Saints-OP speculation (Mod edit) (1 Viewer)

Ediddy7023

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sean Payton will sign Jimmy “G” in free agency to quarterback the Saints. No draft picks to trade away and they are both Eastern Illinois alumni
And if we do sign JG all of a sudden everyone will love him and be on his jock (like winston). JW was the most hated player pre saints. Everyone said he was horrid and a cancer. Now he is the future and a phenomenal qb.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
If he is released and is a free agent, then I think this is a definite possibility. Payton liked Garoppolo in the draft. Garoppolo would easily fit our offense and, I think, would love to play for Payton. This makes more sense to me than re-signing Winston or making a trade for Wilson.
Only if he gets released and will agree to a reasonable price south of $20M per year. It could be sweetened with some incentives based on playoff appearance. super bowl appearance as long as other starter goals are met along with a percentage of starts (50% at a minimum but preferably 75%)

bayoumilitia

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
And if we do sign JG all of a sudden everyone will love him and be on his jock (like winston). JW was the most hated player pre saints. Everyone said he was horrid and a cancer. Now he is the future and a phenomenal qb.
“Hate” is a strong word. Did some Saints fans dislike Winston when he was with Tampa or at Florida State? Yes, mostly for his immaturity but I don’t think Winston was even in the top 5 of most disliked Saints opponents lol. Guys like Brady, Cam Newton, Steve Smith, Matt Ryan and Shoddy White were way more disliked.

Do plenty of us think that he is a good QB, can lead this team and can be the future of this franchise at QB? Certainly, because quite simply he’s not the same immature kid that he was at FS or TB. NFL players can change and mature just like regular people do. Does it help that Winston now wears the Black and Gold? Hell yeah, the kid has put in the work, been a consummate professional since he arrived here in New Orleans.

So yes, for many of us he’s our guy for that reason but also because we love a guy that’s humble enough to take less money to learn from a HOF QB and yet again this year to prove his worth to a coach and franchise that he clearly feels at home with.

BoxerJoe

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Who's to say Jimmy wouldn't have at least a decent supporting cast next season, which is infinitely better then the sheetty, injury-riddled excuse for one we had with our O-line, WR corps, RB's and defensive line this year. The situation brightens even more once you add Michael Thomas back into the mix, and bring along Cooks and Stills. Garopollo knows how to win with a good-to-decent offense. He's been a SB-starting QB and he proved, mostly, that he wasnt a one-hit wonder in returning his team to the postseason this season.
In Payton's system, his stats probably go up by about 500-600 more yards then what he's averaged under Shanahan in SF because with Payton, he'd be required to throw more.
He threw 441 passes this regular season. If you extrapolate that to the number of passes Winston threw in his 5,109/33/30 season, you get a 5,408/28/17 season.
SF was 5th in the league in rushing TDs, so they punched it in on the ground a lot under Shanahan.

I still hope the Saints look into and can make a trade for Russ work well, but if that doesn't fall through and Winston for whatever reason doesn't end up back, I wouldn't be mad if the Saints were to land Jimmy G.

say what you will about Jimmy G but all he does is win

to the tune of 70.2 %

Only Mahomes, Brady and Jackson are better out of currently active QBs.

And only Peyton Manning at 70.3 % edges him out for 4th best all time among all QBs to ever play the game.

His career 67.7 completion percentage and 8.4 yds/attempt are also both impressive.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That might be the worst take I have ever read on this board, and that's saying something. Congrats dude.

Some people including yourself are so wrapped up in the negative connotation of what being a game manager is. Also, people forget that Sean Payton went after Brees to run his offense after failing to trade for Romo from the Cowboys. Yes, it was a perfect match of CSP's offense and Brees' skillset of which he managed the games to perfection.

Last edited:

Pocket Hercules

Always Locked In
Reaction score
Obviously some are so wrapped up in the negative con

Some people including yourself are so wrapped up in the negative connotation of what being a game manager is. Also, people forget that Sean Payton went after Brees to run his offense after failing to trade for Romo from the Cowboys. Yes, it was a perfect match of CSP's offense and Brees' skillset of which he managed the games to perfection.
Brees had HOF skills and CPU. He threw receivers open that weren't schemed open on a regular basis and was the best deep passer in the game until the very end of his career. Plenty of stats out there to back that up.

Brees made Payton significantly more than Payton made Brees, as many people including yourself are going to learn over the coming years if you haven't already. There's nothing wrong with that - it's a player-driven league and the coaches are tasked with putting great players in the best position to do what God gave them the ability to do. Sean Payton and Bill Belichik would be the first to tell you that. Soon, Tomlin will join in that chorus.

The only way that Payton will again reach the sustained level of offensive dominance we displayed for about a dozen years is if we acquire another QB with something close to Brees' talent and the other pieces on offense fall into place. Doesn't mean we can't win without a HOF QB, but we'll have to do it with better defenses than we unfortunately trotted out there for the vast majority of Brees' career. Brees made a whole lot of chicken salad out of chicken shirt offensive talent compared to what his HOF counterparts worked with on the whole.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Brees had HOF skills and CPU. He threw receivers open that weren't schemed open on a regular basis and was the best deep passer in the game until the very end of his career. Plenty of stats out there to back that up.

Brees made Payton significantly more than Payton made Brees, as many people including yourself are going to learn over the coming years if you haven't already. There's nothing wrong with that - it's a player-driven league and the coaches are tasked with putting great players in the best position to do what God gave them the ability to do. Sean Payton and Bill Belichik would be the first to tell you that. Soon, Tomlin will join in that chorus.

The only way that Payton will again reach the sustained level of offensive dominance we displayed for about a dozen years is if we acquire another QB with something close to Brees' talent and the other pieces on offense fall into place. Doesn't mean we can't win without a HOF QB, but we'll have to do it with better defenses than we unfortunately trotted out there for the vast majority of Brees' career. Brees made a whole lot of chicken salad out of chicken shirt offensive talent compared to what his HOF counterparts worked with on the whole.
I pretty much disagree with all of this

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Not sure what the infatuation with JimmyG is. He is just not very good, especially for the amount of money he has been paid. I saw Gillen on Fox8 beating his drum and someone in the T-P doing so as well (Duncan?). Is he any better than Winston? He is older and more highly paid.
His resume is better than Winston though.

Stalwart385

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not down on Garroplo at all as a player. I'd even put him in the Derek Carr league, which I would be very happy with. He probably still has some growth left too.

The problem is the HUGE injury red flags. Man, that is a scary proposition. But hey, if he did get past it by chance, it would a great move.

kennydfresh

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I just dont see him getting anything over $20M

If he got a contract for more than $24M that means he's making more than Lamar Jackson, Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, and Tom Brady.

He's getting paid like a top 10 QB, and he is NOT a top 10 qb.

AND he has durability issues. He's not gonna get more than his contract in SF.
Bro, he is getting over 20 million! You would be surprised at what desperate teams are willing to do if they think they are close. Just look at what the Rams gave up for Stafford, do you think he is worth it seeing how he has played.

Reaction score
I just don’t think he is that good. He’s only good for a couple of scripted drives per half from what I’ve seen of him. Definitely not capable of lifting everyone else up around him with his talent and that’s when he’s not hurt. Jameis is a better option.

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
It makes more sense than trading for Wilson, but it does not make more sense than signing Winston. Winston is younger, has had an arguably better career, has much more upside, knows our offense already, and is already a good fit in the locker room. Winston makes the most sense of all the possible options, but Garoppolo is an option if Winston goes somewhere else.
Could not have said it better.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
And of all the QBs we are talking about, Winston has the best arm and throws the best deep ball, which opens up the rest of the offense.

I think Winston is the best fit, and he will command the least money. Re-signing Winston now to multi year deal, Book and Bortles back up, and send Hill back to his joker role, seems like the smartest play to me.

But what do I know! LOL

Exactly how I feel....not sure if I know anything either!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom