Garrapolo to Saints-OP speculation (Mod edit) (1 Viewer)

JimmyG is simply a name. He's an injury waiting to happen who compiles stats throwing to a much more talented receiving corps than we have now. Or are we gonna pretend Kittle alone isn't more talented than every pass-catcher not named AK last season?

It's just a matter of time since they drafted Trey. I guess they'll see how the playoffs go before making a decision.
Each player and their situation is different, but it might help Lance to sit another year and be eased in like Rodgers was in Green Bay, and I guess Love, too, if in fact he's on track to take over eventually. Not a lot of college experience to build from, and small school at that.

If he is released and is a free agent, then I think this is a definite possibility. Payton liked Garoppolo in the draft. Garoppolo would easily fit our offense and, I think, would love to play for Payton. This makes more sense to me than re-signing Winston or making a trade for Wilson.

If he is released and is a free agent, then I think this is a definite possibility. Payton liked Garoppolo in the draft. Garoppolo would easily fit our offense and, I think, would love to play for Payton. This makes more sense to me than re-signing Winston or making a trade for Wilson.
While I agree with all your points, it may come down to a money issue. I think we re-sign Winston to a multi year deal for half of what Garoppolo will get and maybe 1/3 what Wilson will get paid next season.

I would rather roll with JW if we can get him on a multiyear incentive laden deal.

JG would be a very expensive, oft-injured fallback....
True he does get banged up a lot but in his defense, they have a great record with him under center. Whether that's the team or him I'm not sure. Trey did look good in his last start but we'll see.

No but it's at least better suggestion than Blake Bortles. After the season we had, that thread was a sign of hitting rock bottom.

Just wait till someone realizes that Big Ben is a free agent after this season and brings that up as a genius idea for a thread. Then you will know we've hit rock bottom.

With the kind of money QBs are making these days I'd have to take Jimmy G out of consideration entirely. Some players just don't have a body that is suited to play in the NFL. Jimmy G has proven that he is one of those players.

Honestly if not for his looks I don't know if Jimmy G is ever a thing.

With the kind of money QBs are making these days I'd have to take Jimmy G out of consideration entirely. Some players just don't have a body that is suited to play in the NFL. Jimmy G has proven that he is one of those players.

Honestly if not for his looks I don't know if Jimmy G is ever a thing.

He's the handsome version of Sam Bradford.

I don't want any QB that we have to trade for....we need draft picks to bolster our offensive skill positions where just flat out have no talent at. Using UDFAs and flameouts for WR1 is usually for teams decimated by injury at the position, but we were only 1 injury away from that throughout the entire season...something has to shake up over there.

They cant trade him. He is supposed to get 24M this season. No one will trade for that contract. the dead cap money is only 1.4M if they cut him.

I suspect they will cut him and he will go to a place with no competition where he is guaranteed to be the starter.

I just don't think he chooses to come here.

I tend to agree. But, if the Saints can't agree to a deal with Winston, we become a very attractive option for him since he would be the de facto starter. And from our side, if he is a free agent, then he probably the best starting QB option on the market if Winston is off the board.

But, Winston would be by far my preferred option. But, if he's off the board, I don't want to trade picks for a QB.

His career completion percentage is near 68%, his career passer rating is near 99, he is 33-14 as a starter, and his TD to INT ratio is almost 2 to 1... If we are looking for a care taker to manage the offense while we run the ball and play defense... He fits that bill for sure.

All other considerations aside we as fans have no clue about in the real world (like money, future injury, or compensation).... I'd be interested in seeing him here under Sean's wing.

I think he's a better fit for this offense than either Taysom or JW as it stands today TBH.

I don't disagree that he is an option. But, I think the "better fit for this offense" thing is overstated because Payton's offense really depends on who he has on the field playing QB and who he has around them. I mean, the offense Brees ran in his last few years was very different from the offense he ran earlier in his career. Specifically, when Brees no longer had the arm to consistently throw the deep ball, Payton went to more of an underneath passing game. I suspect if Winston comes back, Payton returns to taking more deep shots but with JG, or Hill for that matter, Payton will run more underneath routes and more crossing routes.

Even this year the offense changed where Payton ran the ball more instead of using the short passing game as an extension of the run game. That may have had something to do with the lack of chemistry between Hill and Kamara, but it was clear Payton ran more of a traditional run game this year than he did with Brees.

So, I think Payton's offense will adjust to what he has on the field. Although, given the Taysom Hill experiment, I think it's fair to say that Payton would like to have a more mobile QB than in the past and given the Winston signing, he would like to have the option to take more deep shots. But, he won't force those thinks if he doesn't have the players.

And you aren't doing this, but it also bothers me every time someone sees a short QB with good accuracy and limited mobility and says they are a perfect fit for Payton's offense. That's what Brees was and Payton adjusted the offense around his skill. It's not like that was his perfect QB. I'm sure he would love a 6'4", big armed QB who can run and is really accurate, but that's not what we had.

Last edited:
Brees was essentially a game manager of CSP's offense that went for the jugular when it was clicking. He was the perfect fit for CSP's offense.

Brees was much more of a gunslinger earlier in his career when the had a better arm. He took more deep shots and made riskier throws.

Brees was much more of a gunslinger earlier in his career when the had a better arm. He took more deep shots and make riskier throws.
Agreed...I kinda shiver when I hear people say we run a West Coast Offense, we really don't....we just had to shrink our field because our QB got old. Sean wants to get back to that downfield attack, otherwise he wouldn't have let Teddy B walk...because that short stuff is what Teddy excelled at.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom