Garrapolo to Saints-OP speculation (Mod edit) (1 Viewer)

I just dont see him getting anything over $20M

If he got a contract for more than $24M that means he's making more than Lamar Jackson, Derek Carr, Matt Stafford, and Tom Brady.

He's getting paid like a top 10 QB, and he is NOT a top 10 qb.

AND he has durability issues. He's not gonna get more than his contract in SF.
Bro, he is getting over 20 million! You would be surprised at what desperate teams are willing to do if they think they are close. Just look at what the Rams gave up for Stafford, do you think he is worth it seeing how he has played.

I just don’t think he is that good. He’s only good for a couple of scripted drives per half from what I’ve seen of him. Definitely not capable of lifting everyone else up around him with his talent and that’s when he’s not hurt. Jameis is a better option.

It makes more sense than trading for Wilson, but it does not make more sense than signing Winston. Winston is younger, has had an arguably better career, has much more upside, knows our offense already, and is already a good fit in the locker room. Winston makes the most sense of all the possible options, but Garoppolo is an option if Winston goes somewhere else.
Could not have said it better.

And of all the QBs we are talking about, Winston has the best arm and throws the best deep ball, which opens up the rest of the offense.

I think Winston is the best fit, and he will command the least money. Re-signing Winston now to multi year deal, Book and Bortles back up, and send Hill back to his joker role, seems like the smartest play to me.

But what do I know! LOL

Exactly how I feel....not sure if I know anything either!!!!

Not at all. Brees made the offense 5 times better because of his talent and leadership. Please understand what “game manager” means. It means you execute what the coach wants and don’t go off script and take fee chances. Brees was the mastermind along with Payton of the offense. There’s got to be a documentary or NFL films you can watch 🤷🏾‍♂️

I don't know what folks definition of game manager is....but, at least to me, a game manager doesn't audible out of 2-3 plays at the LOS multiple times a game....I would never call DB a game manager....

That might be the worst take I have ever read on this board, and that's saying something. Congrats dude.

Your take is just as bad....Brees didn't make CSP, just like Brees didn't make Marques Colston and CGM....they made each other successful....

His resume is better than Winston though.
He also played for the Patriots and 49ers and makes $27 million a year. For the right price, I would not mind taking a shot on him. However, to group him in with Wilson, Rodgers and Carr as some on here and some reporters are doing is laughable.

... Brees didn't make Marques Colston and CGM....they made each other successful....
Debatable. How many WRs have left Brees and done better after they left? Meachem was a huge bust for SD.

Debatable. How many WRs have left Brees and done better after they left? Meachem was a huge bust for SD.

Everything is pretty much debatable with this topic. I would say how much was Meachem's limited success here was due to a combination of Brees and CSP's offense?

It's a two-way street I think. I've seen Colston catch passes that weren't in the perfect spot that got him rocked on more than one occasion, the same can be for MT. All QBs want dependable WRs, and WRs want QBs that can get them the ball.

Your take is just as bad....Brees didn't make CSP, just like Brees didn't make Marques Colston and CGM....they made each other successful....
It was a complementary relationship, but the HOF player was significantly more important to the equation than the coach, as is always the case. Brees won a state title in high school. He pulled a crappy Purdue program out of the ashes, setting two NCAA records, 13 Big Ten Conference records and 19 school records. He was a two-time Heisman Trophy finalist, two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year and two-time first team all-conference selection. He won the 2000 Maxwell Award as the nation's outstanding player. He went to the Pro Bowl in a run-heavy vanilla Marty Schottenheimer offense, for forks' sake. He kicked arse wherever he played, and usually after going to a program/franchise with a poor track record of recent success. Payton's track record pre-Brees absolutely pales in comparison.

I'll repeat: it's a player-driven league. Always has been, always will be. Payton is a great coach and I am thrilled to have him, but his best career accomplishments have come courtesy of a 1st ballot HOF QB under center, period. I understand that our fan base wants to prop up the horse we're still riding, but the reality is that we'll struggle offensively relative to our success under Brees unless and until we find someone near his caliber. Even before the wheels fell off the wagon this year from a personnel perspective, that much was obvious, even with a #1 overall pick taking the snaps. Things would have been better with MT for sure, but it wouldn't have propelled us from the back of the pack to the upper echelon where we were accustomed to being with Brees at QB.

Save this post and we'll revisit in a couple of years.

It was a complementary relationship, but the HOF player was significantly more important to the equation than the coach, as is always the case. Brees won a state title in high school. He pulled a crappy Purdue program out of the ashes, setting two NCAA records, 13 Big Ten Conference records and 19 school records. He was a two-time Heisman Trophy finalist, two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year and two-time first team all-conference selection. He won the 2000 Maxwell Award as the nation's outstanding player. He went to the Pro Bowl in a run-heavy vanilla Marty Schottenheimer offense, for forks' sake. He kicked arse wherever he played, and usually after going to a program/franchise with a poor track record of recent success. Payton's track record pre-Brees absolutely pales in comparison.

I'll repeat: it's a player-driven league. Always has been, always will be. Payton is a great coach and I am thrilled to have him, but his best career accomplishments have come courtesy of a 1st ballot HOF QB under center, period. I understand that our fan base wants to prop up the horse we're still riding, but the reality is that we'll struggle offensively relative to our success under Brees unless and until we find someone near his caliber. Even before the wheels fell off the wagon this year from a personnel perspective, that much was obvious, even with a #1 overall pick taking the snaps. Things would have been better with MT for sure, but it wouldn't have propelled us from the back of the pack to the upper echelon where we were accustomed to being with Brees at QB.

Save this post and we'll revisit in a couple of years.

I completely disagree.....We struggled this year primarily due to injuries, a healthy Saints team would have contended.

DB was not the same player his last couple of years, unless you are completely blinded by irrational reverence to DB it was pretty obvious. The MVP for the Saints since 2017 has been Jeff Ireland IMO....there is great personnel (when healthy) on both sides of the ball thanks to Ireland and his scouting staff.

Hoping we find another Brees is folly, what we need and what I think we have is a young QB in JW that will improve over the course of a season and help us contend, if we are able to retain him.

If you don't recognize the incredible coaching job, the fantastic culture of this team and the fact that we were the most beat up banged up team in the NFL and still finished with a winning record and a chance to make the playoffs? I have no words.....

I completely disagree.....We struggled this year primarily due to injuries, a healthy Saints team would have contended.

DB was not the same player his last couple of years, unless you are completely blinded by irrational reverence to DB it was pretty obvious. The MVP for the Saints since 2017 has been Jeff Ireland IMO....there is great personnel (when healthy) on both sides of the ball thanks to Ireland and his scouting staff.

Hoping we find another Brees is folly, what we need and what I think we have is a young QB in JW that will improve over the course of a season and help us contend, if we are able to retain him.

If you don't recognize the incredible coaching job, the fantastic culture of this team and the fact that we were the most beat up banged up team in the NFL and still finished with a winning record and a chance to make the playoffs? I have no words.....

I did not say we could not compete or win a championship without something close to a Brees-caliber QB. I said that Payton would not find the same level of sustained OFFENSIVE dominance without one. Brees' talent, CPU, and competitive drive made it possible for Payton to become known as an offensive mastermind.

It's always the players when it comes down to it. Ask Josh McDaniels and Bill Belichik "how it's going" without their HOF QB. I happen to think Jones is solid, but he's not a HOF QB. They missed the playoffs outright last year, and squeaked in this year only to get their clock cleaned by a superior QB. Meanwhile, Brady is doing just fine with a mediocre Arians/Leftwich coaching combo.

We were one of the worst offenses, and one of the worst passing offenses this year even before Winston went down and injuries/COVID started ravaging our roster. MT wouldn't have vaulted us to the top of the league's offensive rankings. Payton's culture and a top-level defense kept us competitive against really tall odds, but there was no offensive wizardry this year at any point in the season.

Unless we somehow acquire Wilson, Rodgers (gross) or some other top-shelf talent at QB, we'll have to win a different way than we once did. And that's fine. Winston is probably our best option, but Payton isn't going to turn him into a HOF QB.

If they expand the IR rules he might be worth having for however many games (plays?) before he goes down.

He'll have plenty of company while he's out.

They cant trade him. He is supposed to get 24M this season. No one will trade for that contract. the dead cap money is only 1.4M if they cut him.

I suspect they will cut him and he will go to a place with no competition where he is guaranteed to be the starter.

I just don't think he chooses to come here.
The team that trades for him will just rework the contract. He'll want to do that anyway because he has no guaranteed money left on his deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom