Garrett Hartley or John Carney? When? (1 Viewer)

Asked this same question in a thread last week ... I don't know what Payton will do. If it's a kick under 40 yards to win the game, Carney is pretty much money in the bank. Longer kicks are a problem, especially in windy or bad weather.

I'll support whatever Payton's decision is ... Hartley just worries me because he's never really had to make a "pressure" kick to win a game. I know he was perfect last season, but none of those kicks determined whether we win or lose the game. I often compare John Carney (at this stage of his career) to when the Saints signed Garo Yepremian in 1979. Garo was near the end of his career, but inside 40 yards he didn't miss. I do recall he had 1 kick partially blocked, but otherwise his misses were long-range attempts. He was used to being in pressure spots, and made the kicks when they counted. Carney is pretty much the same.

Hartley's got tremendous range and a strong leg. I know we kept 3 kickers down the stretch in 2006, and I would actually favor us doing the same here. The kicking game is so vital ... 40 yards and in, go w/Carney. Outside 40 yards, go w/Hartley. I know it loses us a position player, but is Casilles, for example, more valuable than a reliable kicker or a long-distance kicker who might have to kick a 50 yarder to win the game?

I'm sure this will be argued back and forth until the week of the Giants game. After much thought, I say keep them both.

We punted from the 34 instead of trying a 41 yard field goal because the coaches knew Carney wouldn't make that in the wind.

You add 17 to the line of scrimmage. It was a 45/46 in the wind. John was 5 for 7 from 40-49 yards last year. The misses were blocked. He was 1 for 1 at 50 yards plus.

**Sorry, I didn't read the other posts before I responded.

I say go with Hartley. Having Carney on the team is like game planning with an average high school kicker. One time we will need our kicker for a win and it will be a 45-50 yard FG. Now what do we do? Do we send out our kicker who probably cant reach the goalpost? Or do we have Brees chunk one deep and hope for a miracle? Id rather leave out the (?) and have a kicker that can at least give you a shot.

I, for one, think Hartley should get his job back.
We shuffled through 2 washed up veteran kickers, one rookie, and then we settled on Hartley, who made every single one of his FG attempts, including a couple over 50 yards.
John Carney is a great guy, but he WAS a great kicker. Like an aging Morten Andersen, he still has his accuracy, but the leg drive/kicking power is declining.
When kickers get older, they have to hit the ball with more of a line drive to make the long ones, and this causes blocks (see Martin Gramatica) to happen much more often.
Morestead was 13-19 at SMU as a kicker last season so I dunno about that idea....let him stick to kickoffs and punting (both of which he does very well) It's hard to cut a team player and New Orleans loving guy like JC, but we have a PK that is under 25 and appears to be very promising.
Love ya, John, but it's a buisness.
That being said, since Houser was let go and Brunell started holding, Hartley's accuracy hasnt been too convincing.
Hopefully they can get that worked out.

Last edited:
We should cut Carney ASAP. As soon as Hartley is available bye Carney. HEll we could sign Morton Anderson to kick FGs under 40 yards... if Hartley couldn't which he has shown he can. Carney will cost us... a long FG late in the year...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom