Garrett Hartley or John Carney? When? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I am not sure if i missed something a while back... but is Garrett Hartley going to take back over kicking duties once he comes off his suspension or is Carney the guy for the rest of the season? When is Hartley suspension up? (I thought it was like a 3 or 4 game suspension)

Seems like everything is clicking on the right cylinders right now... i don't want to mess anything up... yalls thoughts/information??

Carney has not shown a whole lot of range, though he's maintained his accuracy.
Hartley was perfect last season.

If we can keep both on the roster, great! If not, we should probably let Carney go (unless he can still hit anything over 40 yards, and we're just unaware of it because it hasn't happened in a game yet)

Hartley can stay in Southlake, TX so he doesn't have to worry about taking pills to keep him awake on the long drive to NO. Go with Carney/Morestead.

That is true... i guess we havn't seen too much "range" out of him... the saints went for it yesterday -- when it would have been about a 48-49yrd field goal.. not sure if it was a lack in confidence in the kicker or a surge of confidence in the offense... or a combination of....

Do you know when his suspension is up?

We'll keep both until Payton's hand is forced by necessary roster moves.

He's not going to have the same problems he had last year crop up again.

Hartley. We wouldn't have gone for it on 4th and two yesterday and failed if Hartley were here. We'd have kicked the FG. Carney doesn't have the long distance leg anymore. No need to keep Carney.

Hartley. Eventually, you are gonna need a 48 yarder in bad weather at the end of the game to win. John Carney simply doesn't have the leg left...

We punted from the 34 instead of trying a 41 yard field goal because the coaches knew Carney wouldn't make that in the wind. He hasn't been given a chance to mess up, but he did have a pretty easy field goal blocked. I say we give the kid a chance. He's still perfect in the regular season if you guys remember.

Carney's leg strength, or lack there of, may have been a factor in deciding to go for two but I think it was mainly the wind.

The anticipated four-game suspension of Saints placekicker Garrett Hartley became official Tuesday.

Alright... 4 game suspension... so we will be most likely the starting kicker against the Giants.... i guess that will be a storyline during the bye week break....

I know that with the way Mora Jr feels ,he might give us first rounder for one of them.:scratch::hihi:

That is true... i guess we havn't seen too much "range" out of him... the saints went for it yesterday -- when it would have been about a 48-49yrd field goal.. not sure if it was a lack in confidence in the kicker or a surge of confidence in the offense... or a combination of....

Do you know when his suspension is up?

after the Jet's game

We punted from the 34 instead of trying a 41 yard field goal because the coaches knew Carney wouldn't make that in the wind. He hasn't been given a chance to mess up, but he did have a pretty easy field goal blocked. I say we give the kid a chance. He's still perfect in the regular season if you guys remember.

FYI, you typically add 17 yards to the line of scrimmage to determine a field goal's length. (10 yards for the distance between the goal line and goal post & holders normally set up 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage, all told 17 yards.) In your example that would have been a 51 yard FGA in a stadium that had a pretty good wind blowing

From the 34 is a 51 yarder, not 41. You forgot the endzone.

Edit: Just beat me to it above.

Also, I'm not sure the weather didn't have something to do with it. I think they give Carney the opportunity within 50 in a dome.

We went for it on the 28 yard line.

It was a 45 yarder. The wind was probably why we didn't go for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom