Gary Moore's tribute to Randy Rhoads 1983 (1 Viewer)

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hYWXYxlq2tg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moore was a very underrated guitarist.

He made a name for himself in the blues genre later in his career...but,I liked his rock stuff better.

Moore was a very underrated guitarist.

He made a name for himself in the blues genre later in his career...but,I liked his rock stuff better.
He is also very recognized for his accomplishments as a blues guitarist and singer. However my favorite Moore tune remains Over the Hills and Far Away

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UlZvGW-CWUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For our generation yes...but,I'm afraid Moore's legacy is lost on this generation of guitarists.

I don't know any young guitarists that have heard of Gary Moore.

They know who he is and they respect him. I belong to a modern guitar forum that is full of youngsters and they talk quite a bit about Gary and his music.

What I love about 99% of guitar players is that when all of the flash and tricks or whatever the "new guy" is doing wears off....they always come back to the true greats....Like GM. It is the reason that the true guitar gods, that most are tired of hearing about, are still the first brought up when people start talking about the greatest guitar players of all time.

Hendrix, Eddie, and guys like that will always be remembered and brought back in to the fray of things for ever....no matter what happens in the guitar world for here on out..:9:

They know who he is and they respect him. I belong to a modern guitar forum that is full of youngsters and they talk quite a bit about Gary and his music.

What I love about 99% of guitar players is that when all of the flash and tricks or whatever the "new guy" is doing wears off....they always come back to the true greats....Like GM. It is the reason that the true guitar gods, that most are tired of hearing about, are still the first brought up when people start talking about the greatest guitar players of all time.

Hendrix, Eddie, guys like that will always be remembered and brought back in to the fray of things for ever....no matter what happens in the guitar world for here on out..:9:
I'm glad to hear that! It just seems like the ones that I come in contact with are only interested in the current guitarists out there.

Another Gary Moore / Randy Rhoads tie in that I find interesting is that Gary auditioned for Ozzy the day before Randy's audition.

http://www.guitarworld.com/april-2012-guitar-world-excerpt-randy-rhoads-not-big-fan-black-sabbath

According to Dana Strum:

I walked in and met a very young Ozzy Osbourne, who was sitting on a couch, clearly not looking like the photographs I was used to seeing. Gary Moore was there, auditioning with a bass player and drummer, and I thought, I don&#8217;t think Ozzy has the right band. As I watched Gary Moore, I thought, That guy is phenomenal, but he&#8217;s not right for this kind of music. It was now my turn to audition, and Ozzy later said, &#8220;Come back to the hotel so we can talk about doing something together.&#8221;

Ozzy was drinking quite a bit at the time, and I&#8217;m sure there was even more substance abuse. He would often go out on the balcony and very strange things would happen. He&#8217;d open the balcony and kind of look at the sky and scream, and it would start to rain. He kept referring to me as &#8220;the band,&#8221; but there was no band, and he would talk about writing riffs, but there was no guitarist.

So I said to him, &#8220;I know the guitar player that you need to see. Oh, believe me, I know the guy; he&#8217;s definitely the guy.&#8221; Ozzy said, &#8220;Calm down, let&#8217;s have a drink and talk some more, because tomorrow I need your help. We&#8217;re going out to look at guitar players.&#8221;

I got Randy Rhoads&#8217; number from [Runaways bassist] Jackie Fox, called him and left a message that said, &#8220;My name is Dana, I have seen you a million times and I think you&#8217;re unbelievable. I don&#8217;t think you belong in Quiet Riot, and I have an opportunity for you. Call me. It&#8217;s about the singer from Black Sabbath.&#8221; I thought, Who wouldn&#8217;t want to play with the singer from Black Sabbath?

After receiving no response, I called again. Then, I called again at 10:30, 11, and then again at midnight. Finally, at one in the morning, he answered and said, &#8220;Yeah, I got your message.&#8221; I said, &#8220;This guy will give you your big chance, and you have to hear me out on this.&#8221; Randy said, &#8220;Well, I am not really a big fan of that music,&#8221; and I was devastated. &#8220;What? How can you play like that and not love Black Sabbath? You have to like Black Sabbath,&#8221; and he said, &#8220;No, not really.&#8221; I went down the Sabbath song list. &#8220;Well, what about this song?&#8221; &#8220;No.&#8221; &#8220;What about this one?&#8221; &#8220;Nah, not really.&#8221; And I thought, Oh no, this is terrible.

I said, &#8220;Randy, listen, even if you didn&#8217;t like the band, this is still a great opportunity. You&#8217;ve got to come down. I want you to play and I want Ozzy to see you, but not at a Quiet Riot gig.&#8221; I wanted Ozzy to see him the same way I envisioned it. After more phone calls, I said, &#8220;Please tell me you are cool with this.&#8221; Finally, he said, &#8220;Yeah, it sounds kind of interesting.&#8221; I said, &#8220;Okay, great. Let me figure this out, because we&#8217;re supposed to go see some other guitar players today.&#8221;

My 1974 Les Paul Custom. Same year model guitar Randy played. I changed the black knobs to witch hats makign it ALL original! Bought this guitar at a steal! Also changed the case to an original 70s LPC case.
guitar1.jpg

Awesome pics wizard!

My plans for the near future is to purchase a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Jazz bass. I've been playing for 32 years and I've never had either one.

You own one of my dreams wizard! :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom