Gas explosion in Maryland destroys shopping center. (1 Viewer)

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

Thankfully it seems no one was there at the time since it was early on a Sunday Morning.

Yeah, I just saw this on the news. I've passed by there a couple of times over the years I've lived in the area. That's just crazy! That had to be a powerful blast, and I can't imagine the carnage had it occurred during the busier part of the day.

Thankfully no one was injured
I’m curious how the gas leak went in for 30 min before explosion
How is there no some emergency shut down system?

Thankfully no one was injured
I’m curious how the gas leak went in for 30 min before explosion
How is there no some emergency shut down system?
Yes, you would think with all the sensor technology we have nowadays a sudden use surge like that could be measured and set off an alarm protocol. Unless it was a slow leak allowed to accumulate, and then eventually ignited? Natural gas has a distinct odor, which can be detected by sensors, too, correct?

Yes, you would think with all the sensor technology we have nowadays a sudden use surge like that could be measured and set off an alarm protocol. Unless it was a slow leak allowed to accumulate, and then eventually ignited? Natural gas has a distinct odor, which can be detected by sensors, too, correct?

Natural gas is odorless. The odor we smell in natural gas is an additive, so that we *can* smell something. but we aren't smelling the natural gas. Detectors aren't sensing odor.

Yes, but do they even sell natural gas without the additive? I thought it was regulated in way back when. A quick search shows you can buy a detector at Home Depot for under $50 that does not rely on smell. Are there OSHA safety requirements for LNG leak monitoring?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom