Gas Prices.... (1 Viewer)

I'm starting a rickshaw business on the westbank called "Westside Ridaz". Our only route so far is Best Buy to Texas Roadhouse. That's because our only employee currently is Jonathan Sullivan. A little out of shape, but he came cheap. No expressway travel yet until I can get him on some medical insurance. Down the ramp he's alright, but on a test run up the ramp, let's just say we had a "flat". I got all my eggs in this basket, but with the gas prices rising, business is gonna boom. Who's with me?

The cheapest in my area is close to 110p per litre (Just over $2)

So count yourselves lucky. :9:
Me too, about 108p. And in gallons, thats around £5, which is $10.
And recently people have learned to live with it. Some people here drive a couple of hours to the republic of ireland down south, where they use the euro, to save a bit.
It's never as bad as you think it is.

Ah, once again, the oil barrons are finding lame reasons to jack up the prices on gas across this fine nation. Just yesterday at 7:00 a.m., gas here was $2.99. At 5:00 p.m. it shot up eight cents to $3.07!!

The gas per gallon out here in Cali went from $3.10 to $3.39 in 24 hours.

Ah, once again, the oil barrons are finding lame reasons to jack up the prices on gas across this fine nation. Just yesterday at 7:00 a.m., gas here was $2.99. At 5:00 p.m. it shot up eight cents to $3.07!! What's the excuse this time? The Kosovo embassy riots? Another "terrorist threat"? The wind changed direction? The only reason that the prices are going up is because the gas companies can and we pay for it. My truck and my wife's SUV are both paid off. I was going to look for a new car but forget it now. A car payment can sure buy a lot of gas.

So what's the price in your neck of the woods?

Part of the problem is lack of refining capacity. We haven't built a new refinery in how long? 10-20 years???

so don't pay for it......take a cab, ride the bus, get a bike, buy a car that uses less gas

it's not like you don't have a choice

Yeah those are great options for people with kids or elderly parents to drive around....

"Come on kids hop on the handle bars, I know it's snowing...Suck it up!"

Part of the problem is lack of refining capacity. We haven't built a new refinery in how long? 10-20 years???

I think the last one built was the 70's.

Large projects going on though. Too bad it will not make a dent.

Marathon Garyville will double capacity, Shell in Port arthur is doubling capacity, Valero Port Arthur Is doing the same (I think). Placid in Port Allen is doubling capacity.
Motiva Convent has a scheduled upgrade sometime in the future as does Valero St. Charles.
I think there is also some work being done in Chalmette as well to the Refineries there.

I am sure there are others around the country.

I know with the profits that the oils are getting they are spending a ton of money on upgrades and expanded cpacity. Probably also spending money of better extraction techniques as well.

I think the last one built was the 70's.

Large projects going on though. Too bad it will not make a dent.

Marathon Garyville will double capacity, Shell in Port arthur is doubling capacity, Valero Port Arthur Is doing the same (I think). Placid in Port Allen is doubling capacity.
Motiva Convent has a scheduled upgrade sometime in the future as does Valero St. Charles.
I think there is also some work being done in Chalmette as well to the Refineries there.

I am sure there are others around the country.

I know with the profits that the oils are getting they are spending a ton of money on upgrades and expanded cpacity. Probably also spending money of better extraction techniques as well.

Well, that's good to hear, as long as they're using those record profits we keep hearing about to do these things, rather than using these projects as another excuse to raise gas prices. It just makes these constant rate hikes due to every hiccup hard to take when you keep hearing about how these oil companies are breaking profit records each year.

fyi to the truck haters.. my truck gets only 5mpg less than the accord i traded in for it.
it's a diff yes, and once put the bed cover on it'll even be a smaller diff.
that and needed truck for hauling stuff.
an accord isnt' conducive to putting 1000lbs of anything in the trunk and going up hill.
anyone say bad transmission.....

Call your congressman. tell him/her to let companies drill ANWAR and build more refineries. NIMBY has gone crazy in this country. Everyone wants to complain but no one will agree to do anything about it. It's like listening to my wife.....yikes.

fyi to the truck haters.. my truck gets only 5mpg less than the accord i traded in for it.
an accord isnt' conducive to putting 1000lbs of anything in the trunk and going up hill.

I don't have a problem with trucks, wish I had one a lot of times.
Its just that truck/SUV drivers should learn that they don't need to gun up to & past the speed limit for a 5 block drive to the next traffic stop.... Actually all drivers should learn this.

probably has something to do with this....gas for us in southwest washington jumped from 2.85 to 3.23 in three days

I was home a few days back when that refinery blew. I worked five years in a refinery.
That refinery processes 70 thousand barrells a day, which makes it a very small plant. If would seem to me that a fire there should not carry the consequences that we are seeing.

There is more manipulation than just this refinery fire.

I listened to the spin this company was giving while is was still burning. I don't think they were being totally honest. Maybe they were, but some of the stuff that was being said was suspect to me.

Joe

I was home a few days back when that refinery blew. I worked five years in a refinery.
That refinery processes 70 thousand barrells a day, which makes it a very small plant. If would seem to me that a fire there should not carry the consequences that we are seeing.

There is more manipulation than just this refinery fire.

I listened to the spin this company was giving while is was still burning. I don't think they were being totally honest. Maybe they were, but some of the stuff that was being said was suspect to me.

Joe

They are spinning badly. I have some pics I can send your private e-mail if you want and you can judge for yourself. You should see the racks alone.

What kind of truck do you have that gets only five miles per gallon less than an Accord?

I owned an Accord and consistently got "around" 32 miles per gallon.

The Toyota Tacoma four cylinder standard transmission model claims 27 miles per gallon highway. That is the only model that I know that comes close.

My Tacoma Pre-Runner gets about 21.

Joe

Well, I know it's hard to be perfect but just for a moment..... I own a Ford Ranger. Yes, a fuel efficient, alternative fuel burning pick up that gets better gas mileage than most cars. The SUV can last two weeks on a tank of gas because we don't drive that everywhere. I am concious of the situation. One should not assume that a truck equals eight miles per gallon.

i apologize for assuming.....there are people i work with who drive big trucks and live 20 miles from the office and complain about gas prices.....so it's not uncommon to hear it

Yeah those are great options for people with kids or elderly parents to drive around....

"Come on kids hop on the handle bars, I know it's snowing...Suck it up!"

it was not the only option i listed....obviously, i meant whatever suits your situation.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom