Gatlinburg (1 Viewer)

JERD

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Any SR people live are in Gatlinburg or in Gatlinburg this weekend? My family and I are here till tues late. What are some good places to eat and go or see? any info would be great!!!

Absolutely no places there are good to eat at or see. Gatlingburg and Pigeon Forge are both a dreadful morass of pancake restaurants, fudge shops, Confederate souvenir shops, outlet malls, go-kart tracks, and miniature golf courses. You should drive down to Cade's Cove in the park if you've not been there yet; that's actually pretty nice. But Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge themselves are pretty lame, in my book.

It's been awhile since we were there but my family always had a blast in Gatlinburg. It's kitschy but that's what makes it fun in my book. The restaurants aren't spectacular but you can get decent family style food. Ober Gatlinburg has an ice rink. Putt putt courses and wax museums will keep the family entertained. Enjoy your time there.

Look up the Old Mill Restaurant. It will probably have a wait, but I seem to remember it having very good (and large portions) for a decent price.

i havent been in 15 years. i heard it turned into some sort of time share place. I use to like going to the apple cider barn and knife shop. I liked hiking the mountain and the river up there.

are both a dreadful morass of pancake restaurants, fudge shops

I thought you people like fudge. :dunno:

:potd:

tantrumnp5.gif

I have been here before but want to get some of yall info!!! We ate the Hard Rock Cafe it was good. We might go Hiking today if everybody wakes up in time!!! I love the mornings here on the deck, drinking cup of coffee, and reading SR. It doesn't get better than this!!!

>>What are some good places to eat and go or see?

Wendy's and KFC. Pack up extra jorts for the hikes. :yes: The only decent food in that area is down in Maggie Valley, NC. You have to cross the mountains south to Cherokee (which is superior to Gatlinburg by infiniity) and then head east about 20 miles to Waynesville. There are a couple of okay bbq restaurants and steak houses, but Ingles grocery store stocks a large assortment of beer and ahi and sashimi grade tuna. If you know how to cook, you can purchase good things to eat there. :17:

TPS

>>What are some good places to eat and go or see?

Wendy's and KFC. Pack up extra jorts for the hikes. :yes: The only decent food in that area is down in Maggie Valley, NC. You have to cross the mountains south to Cherokee (which is superior to Gatlinburg by infiniity) and then head east about 20 miles to Waynesville. There are a couple of okay bbq restaurants and steak houses, but Ingles grocery store stocks a large assortment of beer and ahi and sashimi grade tuna. If you know how to cook, you can purchase good things to eat there. :17:

TPS

There's a really good pizza place in Maggie Valley.

>>There's a really good pizza place in Maggie Valley.

I couldn't remember the name of it though. :shrug: Maggie's food is still mostly generic, but you can get better stuff there. And Barber's Apple Orchard has a massive assortment of fresh grown apples, apple slushies, baked apple bread and apple everything else. We're always up there in July, the one month in which they are closed :mad:. But no trip to the smokies is complete without a trip to Barber's. And then there's the 40 minute ride even further east to Ashville which has two pretty decent farmer's markets for whatever is regionally in season.

TPS

>>I need names. Is it worth the drive! how about hiking, Waterfalls???

Mingo Falls (Cherokee on the Indian Reservation) is probably one of the best falls in the Smokies. It's about 150 steps, but it's a pretty easy trail for the most part. Then you can, if you are able to, climb the rocks to the second falls and pools of pyrite with their glittery-gold sand. You can't go lay in them this time of year because it's too cold, but do a search yourself for Mingo Falls and you can see it. If you go to sliding rocks (which you can't slide in this time of year because it's too cold), that's a bit south of Waynesville (= Maggie Valley) in the Pisgah National Forest, that's pretty cool, and then there is looking glass falls a little further on down that road. Also, very cool but unswimmable in February.

Looking Glass:

looking_glass_falls.jpg

Mingo:

mingofl1.jpg

Sliding Rock
slidingrock.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom