Gay? (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted anywhere so forgive if I'm duplicating.

ESPNU has decided to "bench" one of their color commentators for saying Gay.
I think it was Kinchens (sp?)

The way I read it, during the game while speaking of the way receivers do a good job of catching the ball Kinchen (paraphrasing) said that the receivers need to caress the ball with soft hands, then said I know that sounds gay but...

For that he will likely be fired, ESPNU released an apology as did Kinchen.

ok...my trouble with this is that homosexual behavior has become synonymous with Gay. 100 years ago gay was a happy word and "technically" still is. I realize that some would say in its context it was a bit disparaging.
But I think that it was an over-kill on the networks part. PC on steroids.

Would someone who is homosexual, which is, by the way, odd and queer in the truest since of the word have a right to really feel disparaged so much so that they would feel it was a fair penalty?

So you think he was trying to say, "...the receivers need to caress the ball with soft hands, then said I know that sounds happy but..." ?
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.

While it is overly PC for that to be considered super-offensive in every day conversation, television and radio broadcasters are professionals and are held to a higher level of expectation.

not to mention, kids watching a sports programming don't need to have that kind off mental imagery put into their heads. hell, I don't need that. (nttawwi)

I think it's over-kill and that Kinchens should file suit if he is fired as a result. Being that he apologized that might be hard to win but it's not like he said being gay is bad...maybe he implied that it was overly-feminine or tender but some might say that those are words that are synonymous with gay (homosexual).

ra, come on, man, people need to stop being too sensitive and PC. I hate that in our society today quite frankly, some people in the state of La. think that coon *** is not only a compliment but a source of pride, and you have others who dont. Stop being too PC their Buddy.

Do I think he said something stupid? Maybe he did, but to be fired over it? No thats too far IMHO.

I wouldnt like to be called a honkie or a redneck, but I take with a grain of salt with the person who says it to me, he is being ignorant by saying it and not me. I think its being too harsh and in reality is counterproductive if you look at it, if someone says something prejudiuced or racist, you tell him to stop and try to tell him their other ways to be, in other words try to make him better, instead of being bitter and hiding his racism from other people even further.

Love your enemies, try to make them better is what I say, dont let their bitterness and hate keep on going by saying you are this and that. Ra, a Black Minister once told me this a long time ago and it is good advice.

It's OK to say "gay,"
On sitcom or latenight talk show.
But as commentator for ESPN,
Calling something "gay" is a NO GO.

ra, come on, man, ...........

Like I said, and as you've clearly disregarded,

While it is overly PC for that to be considered super-offensive in every day conversation, television and radio broadcasters are professionals and are held to a higher level of expectation.

What exactly is the fall out if ESPN doesn't fire the guy? Are homosexuals going to quit watching football? I could see how it could hurt ESPN's baseball games but by the time those start up this will be long forgotten.

I saw the clip earlier on thatvideosite.com...

I was surprised I hadn't heard about him being punished...

I think he knew it pretty quickly... He was calling what he said gay, but he should've known better...

I doubt anyone's offended, but it doesn't matter. If the guy can't catch himself before saying that there's potential for him to yell out a curse word or something else in the future...

Oh, and bite me bclemms... :D

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so forgive if I'm duplicating.

ESPNU has decided to "bench" one of their color commentators for saying Gay.
I think it was Kinchens (sp?)

The way I read it, during the game while speaking of the way receivers do a good job of catching the ball Kinchen (paraphrasing) said that the receivers need to caress the ball with soft hands, then said I know that sounds gay but...

For that he will likely be fired, ESPNU released an apology as did Kinchen.

ok...my trouble with this is that homosexual behavior has become synonymous with Gay. 100 years ago gay was a happy word and "technically" still is. I realize that some would say in its context it was a bit disparaging.
But I think that it was an over-kill on the networks part. PC on steroids.

Would someone who is homosexual, which is, by the way, odd and queer in the truest since of the word have a right to really feel disparaged so much so that they would feel it was a fair penalty?

...+57... I'm an open-minded person who understands that gays have been discriminated against, but I think the reaction to this has been way overblown (no pun intended.)

i liked it when we could say words like tool and meat without someone making a sex joke - hank hill

ESPN has a stake in this as well. Obviously they don;t want to project the kind of image that having commentators make such remarks entails. No doubt such stuff is written into the contracts of their on-air personalities.

I mean we all have professional reputations and business owners have to watch out for their business image. I wouldn;t want to partner or associate with a lawyer who used that kind of language publicly - it would make the practice look bad. That is not being overly PC.

What exactly is the fall out if ESPN doesn't fire the guy? Are homosexuals going to quit watching football? I could see how it could hurt ESPN's baseball games but by the time those start up this will be long forgotten.

nice one ;)

(why does my message have to be at least 12 characters?)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom