Gay? (1 Viewer)

ESPN has a stake in this as well. Obviously they don;t want to project the kind of image that having commentators make such remarks entails. No doubt such stuff is written into the contracts of their on-air personalities.

I mean we all have professional reputations and business owners have to watch out for their business image. I wouldn;t want to partner or associate with a lawyer who used that kind of language publicly - it would make the practice look bad. That is not being overly PC.

Totally agree.

He should've said "effeminate".

Mr. Thesaurus is your friend.

What exactly is the fall out if ESPN doesn't fire the guy? Are homosexuals going to quit watching football? I could see how it could hurt ESPN's baseball games but by the time those start up this will be long forgotten.

...Apparently there are some gay football fans out there:

www.outsports.com

:eek2:

While it is overly PC for that to be considered super-offensive in every day conversation, television and radio broadcasters are professionals and are held to a higher level of expectation.

Agree.

It's less a matter of overzealous PC and more a matter of common sense about what is appropriate in what setting. He represents ESPN as an employee and they have every right to enforce standards and hold their employees accountable.

Nice find, and it appears the editorial staff at outsports.com thinks ESPN overreacted, too.

Good thing he didn't say, "It's so easy, a caveman could do it!" :hihi:

that's reasonable

Gee, who would have thought? Maybe there are even some gay people who visit this site regularly and post on this board!

Holy carp, I sure hope not.
I don't want to catch the cooties.

ha! I just saw this story somewhere else and I didn't realize it was Brian Kinchen who played tight end :eek:oh: at LSU.

ha! I just saw this story somewhere else and I didn't realize it was Brian Kinchen who played tight end :eek:oh: at LSU.

You said "tight end" about a guy fired for saying "gay.":_rofl:

Yes, I am 10 years old.

Seriously, I do think ESPN is overreacting. I'm sure I have used that phrase before and as most here know, I have no issues with homosexuals. But, the free market rules. If ESPN thinks it will hurt their ratings, then they have every right to fire him. As JE said, I'm sure it's part of his contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom