Gayle Benson’s Public Statement On Her Connection To The Catholic Church (2 Viewers)

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
We're literally the Saints. We are the one team in sports who, by definition, has ties to religious organizations like the Catholic church.
That's not necessarily so. The ties are cultural and not legal. There's no business interest between the two. But there's clearly a relationship as the Benson family has been very generous to the diocese. Gayle made it a point to have mass said in the Superdome for her staff and families before every home game.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My guess is we would have heard none of this if the Saints would have given them money.
That doesn't change the situation at all, though. If the Saints were really telling the church which pedophiles and rapists to out and which ones to keep quiet, none of the externalities matter whatsoever. _If_. I'm waiting to see what shakes out before passing judgement.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I guess we’ll have to respectfully disagree.

So no, i dont think it’s in any way commendable for an NFL team’s PR dept to get mixed up in that quagmire AT ALL.. if nothing else, the optics alone are atrocious... So yeah, you’re a smart guy and a good poster- but i’ll have to disagree with you on this.
Perfectly reasonable take.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

I want my favorite football team, which at the end of the day is a business, to have nothing to do with politics or religion.. even if that team’s nickname happens to be the ‘Saints’.. As i mentioned in the thread on this subject that someone started here a couple weeks back, i come at this from the perspective of someone who grew up catholic, was an altar boy, the whole nine.. i had friends in grade school who were, let’s just say ‘adversely affected’ (to put it mildly) by priests and enablers in our community.. i was one of the lucky ones who got out unscathed, but i cant even image the horrors my classmates experienced.

So no, i dont think it’s in any way commendable for an NFL team’s PR dept to get mixed up in that quagmire AT ALL.. if nothing else, the optics alone are atrocious... So yeah, you’re a smart guy and a good poster- but i’ll have to disagree with you on this.
One minor quibble, the Saints isn't their nickname, it's their actual name.

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
That doesn't change the situation at all, though. If the Saints were really telling the church which pedophiles and rapists to out and which ones to keep quiet, none of the externalities matter whatsoever. _If_. I'm waiting to see what shakes out before passing judgement.
Again, if Gayle's statement is 100% truthful, they're recommendation was to out all and keep quiet none. So, that would indeed change the situation, IMO.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Again, if Gayle's statement is 100% truthful, they're recommendation was to out all and keep quiet none. So, that would indeed change the situation, IMO.
If it comes out in the wash that that's what the Saints advice was, then they are perfectly in the clear with no issues.

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
With the fleur-di-lis as it's decal.
And a dog and a big chin guy as mascots. None of that matters. Ole Miss are the Rebels and have a bear as a mascot. Auburn are the Tigers and shout War Eagle. A lot of that stuff is because of local traditons or history. That includes the FDL. Lets not conflate monikers and logos. They're not always one in the same.

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This is all about plaintiff's lawyers trying to get an advantage in their case against the church. In other words, it's about money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I grew up in New Orleans directly across the street from the Priest's rectory (house) by Loyola University. My parents had priests over for drinks and dinner 2-3 times per week. I personally served as an altar boy for 6-years. The great majority and I mean the great majority, were some of the finest, most dedicated, caring spiritual men I've ever met.

There's no question that sexual abuse is devastating. One of my friends blew his head off with a shotgun he stuck in his mouth in 6th grade and it was over abuse by "a" priest.

I just want us all to be a little careful is perceiving this as a pandemic problem of all priests. It's a just a few who ruin the reputation for many great spiritual leaders.

UptownSaintsFan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

I want my favorite football team, which at the end of the day is a business, to have nothing to do with politics or religion.. even if that team’s nickname happens to be the ‘Saints’.. As i mentioned in the thread on this subject that someone started here a couple weeks back, i come at this from the perspective of someone who grew up catholic, was an altar boy, the whole nine.. i had friends in grade school who were, let’s just say ‘adversely affected’ (to put it mildly) by priests and enablers in our community.. i was one of the lucky ones who got out unscathed, but i cant even image the horrors my classmates experienced.

Agreed Also, don't forget that the saints get money from taxpayers.

UptownSaintsFan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I grew up in New Orleans directly across the street from the Priest's rectory (house) by Loyola University. My parents had priests over for drinks and dinner 2-3 times per week. I personally served as an altar boy for 6-years. The great majority and I mean the great majority, were some of the finest, most dedicated, caring spiritual men I've ever met.

There's no question that sexual abuse is devastating. One of my friends blew his head off with a shotgun he stuck in his mouth in 6th grade and it was over abuse by "a" priest.

I just want us all to be a little careful is perceiving this as a pandemic problem of all priests. It's a just a few who ruin the reputation for many great spiritual leaders.
That's true. However, let's not minimize it either. The amount of cover up involved with these things has been staggering. It is a huge issue that has been largely purposefully ignored and in many case, covered up.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
(posted this elsewhere, but fits here well)

Right now, what I'm clinging to is that Bensel & Company's actions are interpretable -- that what the plaintiff's attorneys are doing is just barely stretching the truth a bit and offering the absolute most negative interpretation of events possible in their filings.

Here's a speculative example. Let's consider two scenarios where Greg Bensel and Sara McDonald (Archdiocese PW) are in a meeting together working through a list of "on the bubble" names.

Scenario A:
McDonald: Now Greg, Father X was credibly accused in 1990. We investigated him internally for three years, but then his accuser recanted and said that he was mistaken after so much time had passed, and that it was actually another priest -- one that was convicted in 2012 and is already on the list. Should Father X still be on the list?

Bensel: In my opinion, Sarah ... with Father X, it looks like the circumstances support him being left off the list unless any more accusers comes forward.

Scenario B:
McDonald: Now Greg, Father X was credibly accused in 1990. We investigated him internally for three years and have come to believe that Father X is likely guilty of what he was accused of doing ...

Bensel: Sarah, let me stop you right there -- Father X was an old friend of Tom Benson from the 7th Ward days. Surely you can do Ms. Benson a favor and just leave Father X's name to the side for right now. If someone brings up charges, we can change course and add him to a future release. OK?

Now, to me ... if the emails reveal that a lot of things like Scenario A were going on, then IMHO it's not particularly troubling for Bensel and the Saints. That's basically technical advice as opposed to cherry-picking names.

If, on the other hand, a lot of things like Scenario B was going on ... that's a problem to say the least.

UptownSaintsFan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
(posted this elsewhere, but fits here well)

Right now, what I'm clinging to is that Bensel & Company's actions are interpretable -- that what the plaintiff's attorneys are doing is just barely stretching the truth a bit and offering the absolute most negative interpretation of events possible in their filings.

Here's a speculative example. Let's consider two scenarios where Greg Bensel and Sara McDonald (Archdiocese PW) are in a meeting together working through a list of "on the bubble" names.

Scenario A:
McDonald: Now Greg, Father X was credibly accused in 1990. We investigated him internally for three years, but then his accuser recanted and said that he was mistaken after so much time had passed, and that it was actually another priest -- one that was convicted in 2012 and is already on the list. Should Father X still be on the list?

Bensel: In my opinion, Sarah ... with Father X, it looks like the circumstances support him being left off the list unless any more accusers comes forward.

Scenario B:
McDonald: Now Greg, Father X was credibly accused in 1990. We investigated him internally for three years and have come to believe that Father X is likely guilty of what he was accused of doing ...

Bensel: Sarah, let me stop you right there -- Father X was an old friend of Tom Benson from the 7th Ward days. Surely you can do Ms. Benson a favor and just leave Father X's name to the side for right now. If someone brings up charges, we can change course and add him to a future release. OK?

Now, to me ... if the emails reveal that a lot of things like Scenario A were going on, then IMHO it's not particularly troubling for Bensel and the Saints. That's basically technical advice as opposed to cherry-picking names.

If, on the other hand, a lot of things like Scenario B was going on ... that's a problem to say the least.
I have to disagree. If it shows the Saints were involved in any way with choosing which people were on or off the list, that would be awful. That's so much worse than PR advice. That has so many implications and I think they would rightfully be lambasted.

All you really want to see them involved in is how to brand the message that the archdiocese puts out.

However, I really think they shouldn't be involved at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom