Gayle Benson’s Public Statement On Her Connection To The Catholic Church (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Well ... in any case, either Gayle Benson or the plaintiff's lawyers are being untruthful. I'd say "lying", but I'm sure the e-mails are reasonably interpretable in multiple directions. One side is stretching the truth more than the other.

It's also possible that Gayle has NOT seen all communications between Bensel and the Archdiocese.

sammymvpknight

Inner circle
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I get it.

But I am little confused about why someone or some entity that wants to be part of the solution should run from it.

What Gayle Benson has described is absolutely what any crisis manager worth his/her/its salt for a real non-profit would say to do -- own everything, be transparent, make amends, establish safeguards, and move on -- which is what (from my distance, anyway) the Archdiocese has done. Hell, it seems like they're doing more than the Boy Scouts.

I give the organization credit for being willing to be involved, as opposed to running and hiding and worrying about PR like so many do. I can't imagine most other organizations doing the same thing for their communities -- maybe the Rooneys in Pittsburgh, or the Mara/Tisch ownership of the Giants -- trying to do the same.

This is a hideous problem, and it's easy to run and hide and let somebody else take care of it. But that's not going to help the innocent victims, or to protect the innocent going forward. The Saints are as involved in the community as any NFL team (and I have a very close-up view of the Eagles, Giants and Jets), and if that means not just doing the easy stuff for PR reasons, good for them. If they decided this was something they needed to do, I have no beef here.
Allowing the PR team to get involved gave them the bad PR which they are now improving with a better PR strategy which I believe will improve PR.

oodank

BIG DOG!
Reaction score
Dont do personal business on your company's resources when it has nothing to do with it. Any advice given should have been done with private resources, Bensel is licensed legal counsel that would have been within reason. Not a good look for the Saints at all! Even if the Saints are cleared of any wrong doing, if the accused is found guilty then some people will still have questions about who within the Saints org knew or knows what amount of information because they were involved in the PR messaging.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dont do personal business on your company's resources when it has nothing to do with it. Any advice given should have been done with private resources, Bensel is licensed legal counsel that would have been within reason. Not a good look for the Saints at all! Even if the Saints are cleared of any wrong doing, if the accused is found guilty then some people will still have questions about who within the Saints org knew or knows what amount of information because they were involved in the PR messaging.
Yeah, lost in everything is how sloppy the whole thing was. All of that business should have been done from personal or burner email accounts.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

There's nothing really new in this but I wonder why SNAP wants these emails made public if the plaintiff's attorneys already have them. Aren't they already in the hands of the people that could benefit from them? Do they just want to smear the Saints and Mrs. Benson? I really don't see what making them public would accomplish besides that.

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

There's nothing really new in this but I wonder why SNAP wants these emails made public if the plaintiff's attorneys already have them. Aren't they already in the hands of the people that could benefit from them? Do they just want to smear the Saints and Mrs. Benson? I really don't see what making them public would accomplish besides that.
If Ms Bensons last letter tells us the truth, they wanted money from the Saints. That's the benefit. Otherwise this would be simply a court matter assuming relevance to a case.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
If Ms Bensons last letter tells us the truth, they wanted money from the Saints. That's the benefit. Otherwise this would be simply a court matter assuming relevance to a case.
I remember that now. It had slipped my mind.

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

The plaintiff lawyers believe it gives them some type of leverage. For example,the Saints putting pressure on the church to settle to prevent the e-mails from going public. Whatever the reason, it has nothing to do with the search for truth and everything to do with lawyer greed.

OP
OP
Saint Jack

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The plaintiff lawyers believe it gives them some type of leverage. For example,the Saints putting pressure on the church to settle to prevent the e-mails from going public. Whatever the reason, it has nothing to do with the search for truth and everything to do with lawyer greed.
It has to do with building a case against the Archdiocese and the Catholic Church. The emails will show the Church was more concerned with PR and image rather than the victims.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tom and Gayle Benson have been unabashedly Catholic and have unreservedly supported the Archdiocese since the former bought the team. I don't understand your reaction. If their ties to the Archdiocese are "absolutely inexcusable," then you should've picked a different team decades ago.

Just saw this post, i must’ve missed it the first time around.. but wow, what in the everloving heck were you thinking??

My parents took me to my first Saints game when i was 4 years old, and ARCHIE MANNING was the quarterback.. i’ve been in love with this team for over 40 years.. i also happen to be agnostic, and i think that organized religion is the root of (most) evil.. Not interested in having a religious discussion here; you keep your beliefs, and i’ll keep mine... But for you to suggest that i should have somehow changed my allegiance and become a Cowboys fan, or a Falcons fan, or whatever in the intervening four decades since my first Saints game, because i dont believe in fairy tales from an old book- well, that’s just idiotic and lazy thinking on your part.

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It has to do with building a case against the Archdiocese and the Catholic Church. The emails will show the Church was more concerned with PR and image rather than the victims.
How do you know that's what the e-mails will show? It may be as you say, or it may not. We may find out soon. Which leads to the next question: how does making the e-mails public help the lawyers build their case against the Archdiocese? They already have the e-mails, so they will be able to use them as evidence in front of a jury as long as they are deemed to be relevant and probative of an issue in the case. That's building a case. What the lawyers want is to make them public, which can only mean that they believe by doing so, they will gain leverage. Two very different things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom