Gayle Benson’s Public Statement On Her Connection To The Catholic Church (1 Viewer)

We're literally the Saints. We are the one team in sports who, by definition, has ties to religious organizations like the Catholic church.

That's not necessarily so. The ties are cultural and not legal. There's no business interest between the two. But there's clearly a relationship as the Benson family has been very generous to the diocese. Gayle made it a point to have mass said in the Superdome for her staff and families before every home game.

My guess is we would have heard none of this if the Saints would have given them money.

That doesn't change the situation at all, though. If the Saints were really telling the church which pedophiles and rapists to out and which ones to keep quiet, none of the externalities matter whatsoever. _If_. I'm waiting to see what shakes out before passing judgement.

I guess we’ll have to respectfully disagree.

So no, i dont think it’s in any way commendable for an NFL team’s PR dept to get mixed up in that quagmire AT ALL.. if nothing else, the optics alone are atrocious... So yeah, you’re a smart guy and a good poster- but i’ll have to disagree with you on this.

Perfectly reasonable take.

I want my favorite football team, which at the end of the day is a business, to have nothing to do with politics or religion.. even if that team’s nickname happens to be the ‘Saints’.. As i mentioned in the thread on this subject that someone started here a couple weeks back, i come at this from the perspective of someone who grew up catholic, was an altar boy, the whole nine.. i had friends in grade school who were, let’s just say ‘adversely affected’ (to put it mildly) by priests and enablers in our community.. i was one of the lucky ones who got out unscathed, but i cant even image the horrors my classmates experienced.

So no, i dont think it’s in any way commendable for an NFL team’s PR dept to get mixed up in that quagmire AT ALL.. if nothing else, the optics alone are atrocious... So yeah, you’re a smart guy and a good poster- but i’ll have to disagree with you on this.

One minor quibble, the Saints isn't their nickname, it's their actual name.

That doesn't change the situation at all, though. If the Saints were really telling the church which pedophiles and rapists to out and which ones to keep quiet, none of the externalities matter whatsoever. _If_. I'm waiting to see what shakes out before passing judgement.
Again, if Gayle's statement is 100% truthful, they're recommendation was to out all and keep quiet none. So, that would indeed change the situation, IMO.

Again, if Gayle's statement is 100% truthful, they're recommendation was to out all and keep quiet none. So, that would indeed change the situation, IMO.

If it comes out in the wash that that's what the Saints advice was, then they are perfectly in the clear with no issues.

With the fleur-di-lis as it's decal.
And a dog and a big chin guy as mascots. None of that matters. Ole Miss are the Rebels and have a bear as a mascot. Auburn are the Tigers and shout War Eagle. A lot of that stuff is because of local traditons or history. That includes the FDL. Lets not conflate monikers and logos. They're not always one in the same.

Like it or not, religion and politics are part of the community and if that community is really important to you, then you will get involved. Otherwise it's just lip service.

This is all about plaintiff's lawyers trying to get an advantage in their case against the church. In other words, it's about money. Nothing more, nothing less.

I grew up in New Orleans directly across the street from the Priest's rectory (house) by Loyola University. My parents had priests over for drinks and dinner 2-3 times per week. I personally served as an altar boy for 6-years. The great majority and I mean the great majority, were some of the finest, most dedicated, caring spiritual men I've ever met.

There's no question that sexual abuse is devastating. One of my friends blew his head off with a shotgun he stuck in his mouth in 6th grade and it was over abuse by "a" priest.

I just want us all to be a little careful is perceiving this as a pandemic problem of all priests. It's a just a few who ruin the reputation for many great spiritual leaders.

I want my favorite football team, which at the end of the day is a business, to have nothing to do with politics or religion.. even if that team’s nickname happens to be the ‘Saints’.. As i mentioned in the thread on this subject that someone started here a couple weeks back, i come at this from the perspective of someone who grew up catholic, was an altar boy, the whole nine.. i had friends in grade school who were, let’s just say ‘adversely affected’ (to put it mildly) by priests and enablers in our community.. i was one of the lucky ones who got out unscathed, but i cant even image the horrors my classmates experienced.

Agreed Also, don't forget that the saints get money from taxpayers.

I grew up in New Orleans directly across the street from the Priest's rectory (house) by Loyola University. My parents had priests over for drinks and dinner 2-3 times per week. I personally served as an altar boy for 6-years. The great majority and I mean the great majority, were some of the finest, most dedicated, caring spiritual men I've ever met.

There's no question that sexual abuse is devastating. One of my friends blew his head off with a shotgun he stuck in his mouth in 6th grade and it was over abuse by "a" priest.

I just want us all to be a little careful is perceiving this as a pandemic problem of all priests. It's a just a few who ruin the reputation for many great spiritual leaders.

That's true. However, let's not minimize it either. The amount of cover up involved with these things has been staggering. It is a huge issue that has been largely purposefully ignored and in many case, covered up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom