Gayle Benson’s Public Statement On Her Connection To The Catholic Church (1 Viewer)

The plaintiff lawyers believe it gives them some type of leverage. For example,the Saints putting pressure on the church to settle to prevent the e-mails from going public. Whatever the reason, it has nothing to do with the search for truth and everything to do with lawyer greed.
It has to do with building a case against the Archdiocese and the Catholic Church. The emails will show the Church was more concerned with PR and image rather than the victims.

Tom and Gayle Benson have been unabashedly Catholic and have unreservedly supported the Archdiocese since the former bought the team. I don't understand your reaction. If their ties to the Archdiocese are "absolutely inexcusable," then you should've picked a different team decades ago.

Just saw this post, i must’ve missed it the first time around.. but wow, what in the everloving heck were you thinking??

My parents took me to my first Saints game when i was 4 years old, and ARCHIE MANNING was the quarterback.. i’ve been in love with this team for over 40 years.. i also happen to be agnostic, and i think that organized religion is the root of (most) evil.. Not interested in having a religious discussion here; you keep your beliefs, and i’ll keep mine... But for you to suggest that i should have somehow changed my allegiance and become a Cowboys fan, or a Falcons fan, or whatever in the intervening four decades since my first Saints game, because i dont believe in fairy tales from an old book- well, that’s just idiotic and lazy thinking on your part.

It has to do with building a case against the Archdiocese and the Catholic Church. The emails will show the Church was more concerned with PR and image rather than the victims.
How do you know that's what the e-mails will show? It may be as you say, or it may not. We may find out soon. Which leads to the next question: how does making the e-mails public help the lawyers build their case against the Archdiocese? They already have the e-mails, so they will be able to use them as evidence in front of a jury as long as they are deemed to be relevant and probative of an issue in the case. That's building a case. What the lawyers want is to make them public, which can only mean that they believe by doing so, they will gain leverage. Two very different things.

How do you know that's what the e-mails will show? It may be as you say, or it may not. We may find out soon. Which leads to the next question: how does making the e-mails public help the lawyers build their case against the Archdiocese? They already have the e-mails, so they will be able to use them as evidence in front of a jury as long as they are deemed to be relevant and probative of an issue in the case. That's building a case. What the lawyers want is to make them public, which can only mean that they believe by doing so, they will gain leverage. Two very different things.
Public pressure. They are building a case against an institution that has nothing but bad vibes for the last twenty or so years.
If they can release those emails publicly, they can show that the Archdiocese and the Catholic Church was more concerned about PR and image rather than the victims.

Public pressure. They are building a case against an institution that has nothing but bad vibes for the last twenty or so years.
If they can release those emails publicly, they can show that the Archdiocese and the Catholic Church was more concerned about PR and image rather than the victims.
They're not trying their case to the public. They will be trying it to a jury, and if they can show the e-mails are relevant and probative, they will be able to show the e-mails to the jury. Making the e-mails public does nothing to help them win their case.

They're not trying their case to the public. They will be trying it to a jury, and if they can show the e-mails are relevant and probative, they will be able to show the e-mails to the jury. Making the e-mails public does nothing to help them win their case.
It does create pressure to settle.

The patriots have been affiliated with the church of Satan for over a decade and no one says squat about that!

It does create pressure to settle.

Yep the whole point is that they put pressure to get a favorable settlement. It's all negotiation. This case will settle for a ton of money, everyone involved will sign NDAs, and we'll never see the emails. Then we'll all have enough plausible deniability to keep buying black and gold gear for 30x cost of materials.

Just saw this post, i must’ve missed it the first time around.. but wow, what in the everloving heck were you thinking??

My parents took me to my first Saints game when i was 4 years old, and ARCHIE MANNING was the quarterback.. i’ve been in love with this team for over 40 years.. i also happen to be agnostic, and i think that organized religion is the root of (most) evil.. Not interested in having a religious discussion here; you keep your beliefs, and i’ll keep mine... But for you to suggest that i should have somehow changed my allegiance and become a Cowboys fan, or a Falcons fan, or whatever in the intervening four decades since my first Saints game, because i dont believe in fairy tales from an old book- well, that’s just idiotic and lazy thinking on your part.

Not idiotic or lazy thinking on my part at all. You said:

it would be absolutely inexcusable for the Saints organization to have any ties, in any way, to the Archdiocese

From the time that Tom Benson bought the Saints, the organization has had ties, in some way, to the Archdiocese. This is, by your own words, inexcusable.

Put differently:

1. Does the organization have "any ties, in any way, to the Archdiocese"? Yes.
2. Is the fact that the organization has "any ties, in any way, to the Archdiocese," in your own words, "absolutely inexcusable"? Yes.
3. If the ties are "absolutely inexcusable," and therefore you absolutely cannot excuse them, then it would be logically and morally inconsistent for you to support the organization. In order for you to support the organization, you'd have to excuse the very thing that you expressly deemed to be "absolutely inexcusable."

Whether you believe in fairy tales from an old book is irrelevant. I never said it was relevant. You injected religion, as such, into the discussion. My only point was to demonstrate the illogic of your post.

Not idiotic or lazy thinking on my part at all. You said:

From the time that Tom Benson bought the Saints, the organization has had ties, in some way, to the Archdiocese. This is, by your own words, inexcusable.

Put differently:

1. Does the organization have "any ties, in any way, to the Archdiocese"? Yes.
2. Is the fact that the organization has "any ties, in any way, to the Archdiocese," in your own words, "absolutely inexcusable"? Yes.
3. If the ties are "absolutely inexcusable," and therefore you absolutely cannot excuse them, then it would be logically and morally inconsistent for you to support the organization. In order for you to support the organization, you'd have to excuse the very thing that you expressly deemed to be "absolutely inexcusable."

Whether you believe in fairy tales from an old book is irrelevant. I never said it was relevant. You injected religion, as such, into the discussion. My only point was to demonstrate the illogic of your post.

Reading comprehension isnt your strong suit, is it?

I’m not going to bother to refute your post point by point because each point you made is absurd and, yes, lazy.. Suffice it to say, if you go back and read my post (that YOU quoted)- i made it clear that i started supporting this team as a very young child, and you suggested that somehow i should stop because of certain ties to the church, or that i should have switched allegiances along the way.. Your exact quote was that i “should have found another team to root for decades ago”... Again- absurd, ridiculous, and lazy.

I’m gonna go ahead and let you have the last word if you want, feel free, because i’m not going to continue to engage with someone like yourself for whom facts obviously dont matter, and who’s not interested in an honest debate.

Reading comprehension isnt your strong suit, is it?

I’m not going to bother to refute your post point by point because each point you made is absurd and, yes, lazy.. Suffice it to say, if you go back and read my post (that YOU quoted)- i made it clear that i started supporting this team as a very young child, and you suggested that somehow i should stop because of certain ties to the church, or that i should have switched allegiances along the way.. Your exact quote was that i “should have found another team to root for decades ago”... Again- absurd, ridiculous, and lazy.

I’m gonna go ahead and let you have the last word if you want, feel free, because i’m not going to continue to engage with someone like yourself for whom facts obviously dont matter, and who’s not interested in an honest debate.

So, I guess what you’re saying is that it’s not absolutely inexcusable for the Saints organization to have any ties, in any way, to the Archdiocese?

I accept your apology.

So, I guess what you’re saying is that it’s not absolutely inexcusable for the Saints organization to have any ties, in any way, to the Archdiocese?

I accept your apology.

Like i said, have the last word.. Unlike you, i dont spout half-truths or fabrications, so i’m gonna stick to that.. So go for it, have the last word, you’re welcome.

Well that changes things a bit. If the Saints did this as a response to the judge's recommendation, and the exchanges with the Diocese were as Benson described, then this is pretty much a non-story. From all that we've seen thus far, I'm inclined to give the Saints the benefit of the doubt.

Well that changes things a bit. If the Saints did this as a response to the judge's recommendation, and the exchanges with the Diocese were as Benson described, then this is pretty much a non-story. From all that we've seen thus far, I'm inclined to give the Saints the benefit of the doubt.
In my opinion, this was always a non-story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom