Gayle Benson to donate $5M to Jesuit (1 Viewer)

While a bunch are, I went there and i was far from being rich.
Same
Pretty sure when I went there it was the lowest price parochial school out there
And the above poster speculating that the donation is for kids who can’t afford it to go makes a ton of sense

Not to mention that I don’t think there’s a mechanism to donate to ‘public schools’ - and as a public school advocate I have to be honest and say that to try to do that in NO is throwing good money after bad

Same
Pretty sure when I went there it was the lowest price parochial school out there
And the above poster speculating that the donation is for kids who can’t afford it to go makes a ton of sense

Not to mention that I don’t think there’s a mechanism to donate to ‘public schools’ - and as a public school advocate I have to be honest and say that to try to do that in NO is throwing good money after bad

Agree 100%, too much of that money would end up in administration and the school board anyway. I'd want that money going to actual schools. I don't think the schools would have much left to use after it makes it's way through the school board. Good money after bad indeed.

St Aloysius, which combined with Cor Jesu in 1969 to become Brother Martin so yes.

Yeah, graduated in 1944 from SA. Back in 2012 he donated $10mil to Br.M. which was used to make major upgrades to the campus and also helped renovate the student mall which is now named in his honor.

Same

That was a joke!

My son attends Jesuit and there are a few Saints employees who have sons there as well. I’m not saying that’s the rationale behind the donation, just saying.

While a bunch are, I went there and i was far from being rich.

I get what you are saying.

I understand it is not crazy money to go there.

I went to private school and for my parents to be able to write a big arse check for me to go every year is a privilege. It might not be rich.

While public schools give out breakfast so kids are not hungry is a huge difference in the social scale.

So yeah not rich but definitely comfortable if you can go to Jesuit.

I know other people who's parents had to take out loans so they could go to private school. Not rich but at least could finance it. They were not hungry either.

I would like to see her donate to something that helps all children. Considering the 5 million is like be giving 20 to a charity.

The money is going to the "Minds and Hearts Englightened" campaign. Part of that is expansion of the endowment that "allows for greater socio-economic diversity among the student body by offering significant financial aid to today’s students." Some of it will go towards classroom and gym renovation and other construction and safety improvement projects.

http://www.jesuitnola.org/donate/minds-hearts-enlightened-capital-campaign/

Very cool. I attended Jesuit.

Very cool. I got sentenced to 4 years of Jesuit starting in 8th grade. I learned a lot, spent a lot of time in detention, and took me 4 years to get thrown out. Graduated from a co-ed school and all my behavioral problems went away. All male in uniforms just didn't work for me lol.

Give the rich kids more money, while some in this city can't put food on the table at home and go to schools filled with mold.
I just love how some people birch and complain about how others GIVE away their money. Suggestion: if you have a better cause, give YOUR money to it.

Last edited:
Give the rich kids more money, while some in this city can't put food on the table at home and go to schools filled with mold.

But of course, if you knew what the money was used for, you wouldn't be saying this. Not to mention most, if not all the money, given to the public school system would never actually make it to the classrooms.

She could start a school with her caliber of coin, though most parochial schools aren't blessed with having ultra wealthy benefactors.

I recall my son telling me about St Aug's new president being selected because he had a background of being a prolific fundraiser during his collegiate stint.

St Aug has struggled financially for years and years. They were about to cut grades6-7,IIRC...
Our 6-7 grades got axed when the archdiocese decided that the catholic high schools had to start at 8th grade. We've had multiple wealthy alumni want to give back to the school only to be told that they couldn't direct the money to how wanted it to be used and that it had to be given to the general fund. Sometimes, stupid wins out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom