baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
1) Mike Jenkins-pick 10

2) Ali Highsmith-pick41

Among the players bypassed:
Antoine Cason- pick 50-Cardinals
Curtis Lofton-62-Patriots

I probably would have gone Gholston in the first, I think he's too much of a talent to pass on. Either way I think the pick would work out. I'd have to disagree with the second round pick as well. As much as I love Highsmith (and I do, he's one of my favorite college players in a while), I think he's a bit on the small side and would be better suited to a cover 2 defense than ours. All in all, I can't say I would be disappointed in this draft, though I think we might be able to do better.

Im just hoping our first 3 picks arent offensive players, its hard to guess what will really happen

Mike Jenkins is the best corner in the draft, but if Kenny Phillips is there, he is way more talented than Jenkins. If we were to take the BPA, Kenny Phillips would go over any cornerback in the draft.

And, there is 0% chance the Saints will draft a an offensive player in the 1st round this year. They learned their lesson last year, and just look at what happened. Look at our defense. And now that we have the 10th pick, there is no way we are even going to think about offense in the 1st round, let alone the entire draft.

I rather take Phillips before a CB. It would suck if we paid a CB top 10 money and he is a bust. I think Phillips would be a safe pick compared to a CB.

I probably would have gone Gholston in the first, I think he's too much of a talent to pass on. Either way I think the pick would work out. I'd have to disagree with the second round pick as well. As much as I love Highsmith (and I do, he's one of my favorite college players in a while), I think he's a bit on the small side and would be better suited to a cover 2 defense than ours. All in all, I can't say I would be disappointed in this draft, though I think we might be able to do better.

I agree. If Gholston is available and Ellis and Dorsey and, maybe, even Keith Rivers is gone, you take Gholston. He's too talented to pass up there.

Mike Jenkins is the best corner in the draft, but if Kenny Phillips is there, he is way more talented than Jenkins. If we were to take the BPA, Kenny Phillips would go over any cornerback in the draft.

And, there is 0% chance the Saints will draft a an offensive player in the 1st round this year. They learned their lesson last year, and just look at what happened. Look at our defense. And now that we have the 10th pick, there is no way we are even going to think about offense in the 1st round, let alone the entire draft.

Kenny Phillips is not as highly rated around the league apparently as he is on this site. There are some individuals who don't even believe he'll be taken in the first round. Mike Detellier does not believe he's a top 15 pick and highly doubts the Saints go in that direction. So, I can see Phillips being bypassed.

Im just hoping our first 3 picks arent offensive players, its hard to guess what will really happen

Thats how I feel, sure I have guys I want choosen, but i'm more concerned with filling those areas ( CB, LB, DT) than I am with getting every "name" player we can find....

Guessing who we are gonna pick is only fun in April, when the height of Free Agency is over and things become more clear...NFL Teams dont even know who they are gonna pick, cause they havent resigned players or signed players or cut players to know who they need to get to fill the remaining holes, so why are we even on here talking like we know were are team is gonna lean?

:plus-un2:
In a way, if Gholston falls, I want our front office to treat that situation like we did when Reggie fell.

Realise that he is far too much of a talent to pass up, and make the neccesary adjustments to accomodate him to our team.

In this case I believe that adjustment is move Charles Grant inside. If that happened then we'd be solving 2 major needs by getting a fast, strong and fit outside rusher who is a machine at getting to the QB, and also we are getting a strong, experienced DT who can stuff the run and the pass a lot better than what we have in there right now.

Gholston falling is really a win win situation. Just take him.
Smith Thomas Grant Gholston is a fine starting defensive line, and then you can mix it up and rotate Cooper, Wynn, Lake, whoever we resign, and anyone we draft or pick up.

We could start the new season with 7 or 8 great players in and out on the line.
Fatigue was a factor late in games IMO for us, because we rely too much on certain players to pick up on others mistakes. If we had that kind of rotation going, that doesn't become a problem, and in Gholston I think you have probably the most athletic defensive lineman you are ever going to find.

:plus-un2:
In a way, if Gholston falls, I want our front office to treat that situation like we did when Reggie fell.

Realise that he is far too much of a talent to pass up, and make the neccesary adjustments to accomodate him to our team.

In this case I believe that adjustment is move Charles Grant inside. If that happened then we'd be solving 2 major needs by getting a fast, strong and fit outside rusher who is a machine at getting to the QB, and also we are getting a strong, experienced DT who can stuff the run and the pass a lot better than what we have in there right now.

Gholston falling is really a win win situation. Just take him.
Smith Thomas Grant Gholston is a fine starting defensive line, and then you can mix it up and rotate Cooper, Wynn, Lake, whoever we resign, and anyone we draft or pick up.

We could start the new season with 7 or 8 great players in and out on the line.
Fatigue was a factor late in games IMO for us, because we rely too much on certain players to pick up on others mistakes. If we had that kind of rotation going, that doesn't become a problem, and in Gholston I think you have probably the most athletic defensive lineman you are ever going to find.

As long as we are able to get 1 or 2 new starting LB'ers through the draft or FA then I wouldn't mind this at all. I think a misconception on here is that an improved DL will solve everything but nothing is making Simoneaux a better player. He needs to be replaced.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom